Advice on UTV

/ Advice on UTV
I have a Polaris 800......there are literaly hundreds of aftermarket products available to customize the machine to tailor it to your specific needs...again, I highly recommend the Polaris 800 or 500 UTV...

Yes one thing I would want on a UTV is a front rack, looks like there's lots of them available. Other poster commented on how comfortable the Polaris is. That's getting more and more important as my rear end needs more and more tender loving care.

/ Advice on UTV #12  
If you lean towards the golf cart you could put a hitch on the back to pull a small trailer with a couple of bales of hay.
We have a 1980s Yamaha cart with a non-dumping plastic box on the back and a hitch that will pull a garden cart. With the cart on the back we can haul about a dozen bales of hay between thegolf cart and the trailer.
Another option is a "flip seat" such as: Yamaha G14-G22 Steel Flip/Flop Golf Cart Rear Seat Kit which can ge either a seat of a flat work/hauling area.

Aaron Z

/ Advice on UTV #13  
My rump likes comfort too ! If you look at the Polaris go with the ranger, as opposed to the razor ... Ranger is work oriented with dump bed whereas the razor is very sport orientated....add ons I'd recommend as a minimum are a 4000lb winch, roof and either a full or half windshield, you may want to consider a full cab for your area for winters...there are snow blowers and heaters available too ! Told ya, my rump likes comfort too ! Lol ! A good forum exists for ranger, PRC Ranger forum...

Whatever ya get, enjoy n be safe...

Rich

/ Advice on UTV #14  
I have a kawaski mule; it is afull bench seat; it has 2 seats and box, the 2nd seat can be folded down and the box made bigger; its 4wd and pretty good, pricey though, around $10,000. One drawback though, it won't go through snow deeper that IT!

/ Advice on UTV #15  
My needs are for a smaller size, I bought m 550 Mule 14 years ago. At that time all that was available around here was Kawasaki Mule & John Deere Gator. The size I wanted used same Kawasaki engine, even though I'm a JD man by blood, I went with the Mule because of the bench seat & overhead bars. If I ever decide I need a new one, it will most likely be another Mule! ~~ grnspot

Attachments

• Wildlife 116 - Copy.JPG
    Wildlife 116 - Copy.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 243
   / Advice on UTV #16  
I have a Kubota RTV 1140 .... it seats 4, rides very easy, has dump bed, converts to 2 person with longer dump bed, easy to get into and out of...a major plus for me and wife...I put a front rack on it, also put a front carrier on the 2 inch receiver, diesel, top, windshield, it will pull anything you will ever want to pull with it (over 10000 lbs for me), is a complete work horse, HST transmission. It saves me and my knee daily...I use it all the time. I think it would fit our needs perfectly, see one at a dealer,

/ Advice on UTV
Thanks for all suggestions, I've got a bunch of searches setup for craigslist and ebay to watch for various machines recommended here. Since I'm not in a big hurry I figure I'll bide my time and might find a really good deal.

/ Advice on UTV #19  
seeking something like this on CL is a good idea.

HOWEVER

you need to know that there are scammers who use CL to entrap people.

Net...if you see a CL ad with no phone number....or a wierd city for "location", or reply to the CL posting id/email and get some story about selling this very cheap because of (insert suspicions reason here) and all transactions need to be done on line and item will be shipped....IT ISN'T FOR REAL!!!

They usually use some price number just under $6000 ... some law seems to be triggered if they price it too high....and such a price would be WAY below the actual value,.

These folks usually have numerous GREAT photos of the object/utv showing numerous upgrades/top of the line ... makes it look like there is something actually for sale.... they get these photos from elsewhere on the net and use them to their own illegitimate ends.

Just FYI...I know because I, too, looked on CL for a UTV type vehicle...and discovered that in numerous states, at any one time, EXACTLY the same ad would be on CL...except for the CL identification number, of course.

Not CL ads are scams, but some are.

/ Advice on UTV #20  
BeezFun, I'm gonna have to recommend that you don't use a golf-cart for your needs. I don't know if any of them have differential lock. I surely doubt any of them have 4WD. Sure, you can modify a golf-cart with a bed and lift kit. Do they have good headlights and taillights standard? I don't think so. By the time you get all the stuff you can find on a UTV, you also are paying the same price. To add insult to injury, you have to deal with a lot of different third-party vendors for parts or go back to a dealer who often is no longer there when you need them.

Do you need 4WD on your flat place? Probably not. . . but it does give you much extra traction if you get into soft terrain or muddy spots. You want something with good ground clearance (6" to 9") and tires with aggressive tread for off road use. The ability to haul 1/2 ton is pretty important too. If you are hauling firewood, rocks, or even a few hundred pounds of hay, the extra capacity to do anything you need is worth the extra expense. UTVs have strong roll-cages and tough frames. Many of them have beds that are 48" wide by 54" long with a tailgate. Depending on what you prefer and your uses, you can get a strong steel bed or one with plastic panels. All these are standard parts from one dealership. If you buy a Kawasaki, Kubota, Polaris or other well-known UTV, you'll have one source for parts and service. Those big three names also have a well-established 3rd party add-ons network if you choose. They have manual or electro/hydraulic lift beds, cabs for bad weather, and heat & AC options. You can get the machine you can afford and add features at a later time.

I think you should go to some major brand dealers and look at their machines. After you do and see their features, go drive a golf cart conversion ad see if you think it is suitable. Once you make the hands-on comparison, you'll be happier with your choice. Like a lot of other folks, I have my preferences for brands, but I think there are lots out there that would fit your needs. With the selection available today, I hate to see anyone go for a make-do decision.