RTV 1140 Rear drive issue

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #11  
Yes and that would be normal Tim as the splines wore the hub would be able to move inward leaving it loose. The nut was probably never actually loose, it was the wear that made it loose. Too bad more people didn't get the notice on this new torque spec. The fix will be expensive.

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #12  
I'm with you Timm250. That is most likely what happened here. I was close but forgot about the spline issue.

Good call.

Tightening torque was 110 ft/lbs on that big slotted nut and that was upgraded to 140 ft/lbs. As far as I know that is only on the rears.

I'm going to check this on my RTV 900 when I get back to the farm next week. I don't have that many large metric sockets. Any idea about the size of the nut?

Steve

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #14  
I knew that question was asked before but forgot it was I that answered it. North of 60, memory good but short.

17mm nut.

Thanks.

I'm confused, which is nothing out of the ordinary.:)

Reference was made to a large slotted nut in an earlier post. I was under the impression that the nut was under the plastic cap that covers the end of the hub. Am I off base?

Steve

Last edited:
   / RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #15  
yep, me too confused----don't know exactly what nut has new torque specs...I'd like to check mine but not sure where it is...can Somebody do a photo or description?

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #16  
Yes you are right, it is under the rubber cap and is slotted for the cotter pin that secures it. Manual calls it the "slotted nut".

This manual listed the 110 ft lbs of torque and the update is to go as high as 140 ft lbs.

Just shows how much extra strength is available in these nuts and bolts, huge safety factor.

Like this:

Attachments

• RTV1100 Rear Axle.jpg
    RTV1100 Rear Axle.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 415
   / RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #17  
Spudhauler,

Thanks for the clarification. Is the slotted nut also 17mm?

Steve

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #18  
Oh! You were thinking the 5 wheel nuts were what was being referred to here.

The wheel nuts are 14 mm (55-66 ft lbs torque) I routinely went 60 ft lbs for these.
The axle nut is 17 mm (was 110 now 150 ft lbs torque)

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #20  
thanks for this image..got it..checked WSM for my 1140 and it does show 140 fp torque, then tighter if needed to align cotter pin...just gotta get me a wrench that reads into these big numbers...