RTV 1140 Rear drive issue

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue
Just an update on this issue. I have been too busy to deal with this, but I am trying to get back to it and get it fixed. I appreciate the comments and ideas.
The rear drive shafts do not turn at all. I assume the problem is in the rear differential I was hoping to fix it myself, but certainly don't understand these systems very well. I would be so nice if l could repair it myself, but unlikely at this point.

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #22  
to fix yourself, get the workshop manual for it, good to have anyway. Maybe reading that will give you insight into the problem, or if you wish to tear into it yourself. Do you have a mechanically inclined buddy that could lend a hand...having two heads and 4 hands is always a good thing. Thanks for update.

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #23  
This got me to wondering if my axle nuts were tight. I popped the rubber cap off the rear and after finally getting the cotter pin out, I found that the drivers side nut was not even finger tight. I got about a half round out of it before it got tight. I don't have a torque wrench but using a 12" ratchet I torqued it down to the next hole after it snugged up. It is a long way from a 17mm on my 2009 RTV 900, would you believe 30mm nuts on the back. I didn't check the front at this time, maybe later. Only got 270hr on it.

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #24  
This got me to wondering if my axle nuts were tight. I popped the rubber cap off the rear and after finally getting the cotter pin out, I found that the drivers side nut was not even finger tight. I got about a half round out of it before it got tight. I don't have a torque wrench but using a 12" ratchet I torqued it down to the next hole after it snugged up. It is a long way from a 17mm on my 2009 RTV 900, would you believe 30mm nuts on the back. I didn't check the front at this time, maybe later. Only got 270hr on it.

Sad part is that you shouldn't even have to check that if the dealer torqued it correctly in the first place.

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #26  
I think it's more a factory issue. The wheels would have been installed on assembly. Not something any dealer would check as a routine setup issue.

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #27  
I think it's more a factory issue. The wheels would have been installed on assembly. Not something any dealer would check as a routine setup issue.

Not sure about that. Most (Or for sure Bs and BXs) Kubota tractors come in wooden crates without wheels installed. The RTVs have wheel choices like tractors so possible RTVs come without wheels installed like tractors for the dealer to install wheels of choice.

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #28  
Yes I thought about that too, but the hub is always installed at the factory. Wheels are just the 5 wheel bolts or nuts, tractors even more, that dealers install. Most would not be looking a the hub nut especially when it's already covered by a dust cap or in the case of a rtv, a rubber cap. Small point when you spline is stripped, still Kubota's fault, just not the dealer's.
MHO.

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #29  
Thanks to you guys, I went out today and checked my rear hub nuts on my low hour RTV900. The right side was only slightly tighter than hand tight, and the left side I could only get one more flat tighter. thanks for the info

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #30  
OK, just checked all 4 slotted axle nuts on my 1140. My WSM says 140 ft lbs on rear, 110 on front is spec, then tighten further to insert cotter pin, as necessary

Rear nuts, found that 1 3/16 SAE fits pretty well, didn't have any such large metric socket.

Nothing obviously loose, either side, lock washers all squashed flat and flat washers not loose (as reported elsewhere in this thread).

Rubber boot comes off rather easily. Cotter pin yields reasonably to pliers and hammer.

Tried to LOOSEN left rear. BROKE my CRAFTSMAN 1/2 " ratchet socket handle...yes, had cheater on it, but wasn't standing on it or anything, just pushing at about 1.5 ft out, am guessing 150 ft lbs or so. Decided it was tight enough and reassembled.

All 3 other nuts, I also checked with a different 1/2 inch socket wrench and beam toque wrench handle I have that goes to 100 ft lbs. All other nuts really, really tight such that I feared breaking second ratchet wrench. So, reassembled and left as is on the theory, let's not break anything else!!

So, am comforted that axles will not suffer stripping problem as discussed in this thread.

And, at least my 1140 was assembled properly in this area, so not all RTV'S are under torqued on their axle nuts.