Kubota RTVs - how do they handle off road?

/ Kubota RTVs - how do they handle off road? #1  

Tim_in_IA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610HSD, Mahindra 6500 4WD, JD 440ic crawler, 2 560 farmalls.
Hi I am considering getting a Kubota RTV, 900 or 1100 or similar. I plan on using whatever I get around the farm and in the woods which can have decent grades and obstacles to cross, small fallen trees etc. Are the Kubotas as good as say a Polaris in this regard or are they more for flat ground? I read a review on this site and it seemed like they might not handle mud well which would be bad.

/ Kubota RTVs - how do they handle off road? #2  
The Kubota won't be as nimble for off roading as a more sport UTV. Having said that, the only thing that has stopped mine is a foot of snow. I use it on 170 acres here in upstate NY, and to across the occasional 6" log just fine, as well as sloppy terrain. I'm not talking about mud bogging or anything like that- just the typical slimy spring conditions.

Will

/ Kubota RTVs - how do they handle off road? #3  
I have a 900 that I use around My 160 acres, it is by no means comparable to a sport ATV, they are heavy, do not travel fast, but will pack, and dump just about anything that you can load into them, they are a true work horse, there are also 3 point hitches available for both front and rear to add to the effectiveness of the machine. those are available through I think Farm Boy? It is one of the most use-full tools have here, I think I put more fuel through My 900 than I do through the "old farm truck"
Cheers

Roger

/ Kubota RTVs - how do they handle off road? #4  
They are decent off road but are not going to be be able to go where a RZR goes. They just don't have the wheel travel, and wheel speed to do certain types of off roading. For running around the farm, some normal mud, hills and such they will do it without any issues.

/ Kubota RTVs - how do they handle off road?
Thank you for the information. I'm not looking to go crazy off road. Based on these comments I think it would be fine.

/ Kubota RTVs - how do they handle off road? #6  
The ground clearance on the new models is substantial, good belly pans, and stick stoppers for cv joint boots. The IRS is terrific. My X900 is no where near as fast as my Polaris Ranger, but I very much enjoy the HST and engine braking - much better control in rough and steep terrain. Creeping up and down hills is something I couldn't do with the belt drive - the Ranger needed to go fast to keep the belt engaged. As a work machine the RTV is superior!!

/ Kubota RTVs - how do they handle off road? #7  
:D I started thinking my 1140 was unstoppable the first winter I had it. I started driving cross way on a steep hill in snow and discovered it would slide side ways just like cars do but straight ahead under throttle and they go unless the snow is so deep that they can't reach the ground, like this winter here in KY!:eek: I have encountered slick mud and slid side ways on a steep hill and had to go get my tractor with FEL to pull it back away from some trees and that's when I bought a wench for the front of it but have never installed it but have it......some where.:D Guess I've learned the areas to stay away from after a week of rain and under a foot and a half of snow.

/ Kubota RTVs - how do they handle off road? #8  
The Kubota won't be as nimble for off roading as a more sport UTV. Having said that, the only thing that has stopped mine is a foot of snow. I use it on 170 acres here in upstate NY, and to across the occasional 6" log just fine, as well as sloppy terrain. I'm not talking about mud bogging or anything like that- just the typical slimy spring conditions.
We have had the same experience with our RTV500.

Aaron Z

/ Kubota RTVs - how do they handle off road? #9  
Thank you for the information. I'm not looking to go crazy off road. Based on these comments I think it would be fine.

Am glad you came to this conclusion. It's the right one. I use my 1140 daily. It pulls trailers, carries things, gets me around, easy in and out. I got it mud stuck once. Stuck my tractor just getting to it to pull it out, so it went further than my 4wd tractor. Used the FEL of my tractor to inch worm my way out with RTV chained to it. Be sure and add things which fit your needs. I recommend windshield, front carry all, rack in front, tool box in dump bed when not using dump function, etc. Even with your other equipment, you will sit in your RTV more frequently than all the rest of your stuff, combined, IMHO.

/ Kubota RTVs - how do they handle off road? #10  
My little 13 acers are perched on the side of a rocky canyon with a river at the bottom. The only time the RTV900 has been stuck was when I got it out on a recently exposed mud flat and it buried itself up to the axles. Took my 4WD tractor and 50' of chain to get it out. It'll go up really steep stuff, but if the ground is loose the tires will lose traction, and even in 4WD I might not make it to the top. I've also had it up on three or two wheels a time or two side hilling, something I don't like to do but it will handle much steeper slopes than will the tractor.

As others have mentioned, it has plenty of power but doesn't go very fast, so I've turned down offers to go 4wheeling with my friends on their quads or Razrs. It's a work vehicle, it'll haul a yard of gravel, a quarter cord of wood, and most anything needed to set up with a generator at a remote job site. In the spring I bolt a sprayer to the tail gate and run it from the comfort of the driver's seat. Often I'll get out and spot spray with the wand, which has a newly lengthened 30' hose attached. When it comes time to finally get a boat, I'll rig a lifter on the RTV and use it to get to the water. I use it most days to fetch the mail, and once a week to get the garbage can out to the street. Mine has a roof, trailer hitch, and dump bed, and I haven't seen the need for anything else.

About the only thing I've changed on it was to add a snorkel to the air intake to keep dust out of the air filter. A couple PVC plumbing fittings and some radiator hose was all it took, but if I had it to do again I'd route it all the way up over the roof instead of hooking it into the roll bar. Just makes too much noise right above my head with all that air going into the holes I drilled in the 'bar.

Mine's an '05 with over 3000 hours, and so far I've fixed the radiator once (a stick went through it) and replaced the u-joints on the rear axle and forward propeller shaft. I bought it used, and also had to replace one of the steel water fittings where it went into the head. Just turned up a replacement on the lathe and used red Loctite to stick it in. I replaced the fuel filler cap with a newer version from Kubota that goes on and off easier. The previous owner laid down a layer of steel treadplate in the bed, and one of these days I'll reinforce the top rails with some angle iron and give the whole thing a new coat of orange paint (the bed's been an ugly primer gray since I bought it).

If I wanted something to chase around the woods with my friends on their quads, I'd probably get a quad. But for the jobs around here, the RTV has saved me miles of walking and let me tackle projects I never would have without it.