Kubota RTVs - how do they handle off road?

/ Kubota RTVs - how do they handle off road? #21  
Have no clue, it was raining when I got it home, it was cold as heck yesterday (no windshield but one ordered) and today it's starting out at 34 or so (now 41, supposed to get to 61) so we'll probably drive it around today. I'll check the tires later today, the right front probably needs replacing, it has much more wear than the other three. How much do UTV tires typically cost?

The only thing that doesn't work is the gas (diesel) gauge. Any ideas?

And does anyone know where to get the owner's manual and/or workshop manual?

Thanks,

/ Kubota RTVs - how do they handle off road? #22  
Have no clue, it was raining when I got it home, it was cold as heck yesterday (no windshield but one ordered) and today it's starting out at 34 or so (now 41, supposed to get to 61) so we'll probably drive it around today. I'll check the tires later today, the right front probably needs replacing, it has much more wear than the other three. How much do UTV tires typically cost?

The only thing that doesn't work is the gas (diesel) gauge. Any ideas?

And does anyone know where to get the owner's manual and/or workshop manual?

Thanks,

You'll have no problem on those hills. The only issues I've seen on steeper stuff is in the summer when the grass is long and dead, and makes for slippery traction.

Getting the beads to seat on a new tire is a real problem because of the wide rims. Some folks use starting fluid and a match, but I've never been brave enough and end up at my local tire guy's. They pack the beads with tire grease and have a huge compressor, and since their prices are pretty good and they mount for free, I just go through them. Last time it was about $90/tire.

Kubota has done a pretty good job of weeding out dealers selling parts at a discount, and these days I'm pretty much stuck paying through the nose at the dealer. I purchased my repair manuals at tractorsmart.com, but I don't think they're able to get them any longer. I think you can still download a parts manual from them though.

Check the obvious stuff first on the fuel gauge, like wiring problems. Also check on the RTV forum here, as chances are good that someone else has already run into the same problem and posted a fix. If you don't find anything, post a question and you'll probably get a quick answer, as several Kubota trained mechanics hang out over there.

First thing I did when I got my used RTV was to replace all the fluids and filters, just so I knew it was up on current maintenance. I found a couple of other things that needed repair in the process, and since that initial sorting out, it's been pretty reliable. The only ongoing issue is getting it in and out of 4WD, but that's more a matter of taking any stress off the drive line before attempting to shift. Coasting to a stop on level ground works every time, but usually by the time I figure out I need 4WD I'm already someplace steep.

/ Kubota RTVs - how do they handle off road? #23  
I paid $105 each for 26x9R12 fronts and $115 each for 26x11Rx12 rears. I wouldn't go that wide on the rear again.

image-3937559693.jpg

Sedona Rip Saw R/T, 6 ply radial, 1 1/8" deep lugs.

Bought from Smith Family Power Sports on Amazon. Had them in three days.

/ Kubota RTVs - how do they handle off road? #24  
Figure from $60 to $250 a tire depending on what you want. Around $100-130 is average and will give you a lot of options. Rip saws are good tires, Pit bulls are a top tire as well as many others. Mostly the stockers work decent everywhere but tailoring the tire to your conditions and use is the best way to go if possible.

/ Kubota RTVs - how do they handle off road? #25  
OK, a couple pics:

Came up and down this hill, in both directions, on the backside of my property. My neighbor's pond is on the left, my defunct pond center right (to the right of the black log in the center, the pond isn't really visible plus it's small).

The trail down and then back up to the right is probably the steepest trail/hill I have on my property. I rarely go back here due to the fear of getting a vehicle stuck down here.

The RTV stalled in medium going up where I took this pic, but I restarted it, shifted it into low gear and up we went. There was myself at 275 lbs plus my two nephews (my RTV has the bench seat).

IMG_20150329_170852981%20Large_zpsrxxvbced.jpg

It also went up and down my big hill in the front of the property although it was touch and go for a while when we came back up - see the pic below. The braking power of the transmission when going downhill was very much appreciated!

IMG_20150311_164751397%20Large_zpsjv1ze7r9.jpg

Ok, so comments and answers to question above about tires:

- Tires are Carlyle USA made 25x10-12 knobby tires. Specs call for 20 psi, I put 16-17 in each of them.
- Someone mentioned the RTV forum here - where is it? I see the Kubota subforum and the ATV forum but no RTV-specific forum.
- Found out the oil tank under the seat was pretty low, turns out this is the power steering fluid. This fluid is milky white. I had a heart attack when I saw it because all I could think about was "blown head gasket". Is the power steering fluid supposed to be milky white? WSM states that Kubota UDT or Super UDT is supposed to go into the power steering. Help please.
- Whoever talked about changing all the fluids and filters read my mind. This is something I'll do once I have all the fluids (Super UDT for one) and filters on hand. There appears to be four filters on this thing: engine, transmission, fuel and transaxle - is that right? I also plan to replace the engine coolant with ELC.

One thing is clear: I won't be jumping any hills with this thing, but I think it will do everything I need it to do.

So far, running my hills is one of them!

Thanks,

/ Kubota RTVs - how do they handle off road? #26  
Milky fluid means water.

Don't forget about the air filters and fuel filter. The fuel filter should be bolted to the engine side of the frame rail near the air filter. Some folks replace the inner and outer air filter. I've never seen a need to replace the inner one as it isn't dirty. Enjoy your new ride!

Edit... Well rereading I see I missed your mention of the fuel filter. Oops.

/ Kubota RTVs - how do they handle off road? #27  
Yea that's what I thought. How would water get into the RTV steering fluid? This is the first fluid I plan to replace.

/ Kubota RTVs - how do they handle off road? #28  
My best guess is, since it is right beside the radiator, that someone added water thinking it was the puke tank. Don't ask me how I came to this conclusion so quickly.

/ Kubota RTVs - how do they handle off road? #29  
Had to throw this In there. ( no picture it didn't happen thing. )this is DT86 s bota.

Attachments

• image-166240440.jpg
    image-166240440.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 196
   / Kubota RTVs - how do they handle off road? #30  
My best guess is, since it is right beside the radiator, that someone added water thinking it was the puke tank. Don't ask me how I came to this conclusion so quickly.

That's pretty funny!!!!

And it also makes perfect sense.