CT122 electrical gremlin

/ CT122 electrical gremlin #31  
I just had to replace mybattery cable on a 335 last week. Our connectors could have been twins. I am glad you resolved it easily. I found mine when replacing the battery.

/ CT122 electrical gremlin #32  
In the good ole days mechanics would dab Vaseline on the battery terminals and I see no reason as to why buy $10. modern upgrades when a time proven product suffices.
As I understand the cause it is acid fumes or vapors that cause the corrosion and the product application shields the terminals by providing a vapor shield.
Shucks in a pinch I dab grease that I find around a nearby zerk. O.K. my finger gets dirty but my terminals are not corroded.

Also when servicing a battery or the cables be sure to clean the posts back to shiny lead to assure the best of contacts as lead forms an oxide (kinda black finish).
While special terminal brushes are available, fine steel wool will do a great job as well.

/ CT122 electrical gremlin #33  
I first had the same electrical gremlin as jonnyc1999 as as result of the tin battery cable connectors, but now my problem is quite a bit more difficult. Dashboard lights come on, and I can hear the click at the relay when I sit down on the seat and trigger that safety mechanism. However, there is nothing come from the starter. I could still jump the tractor at the starter solenoid, so I replaced the starter solenoid--didn't fix the problem. I replaced the relay switch--no fix. I replaced the ignition switch itself--no fix. I replaced the battery--no fix. The PTO is not engaged. I have checked the safety switch in the seat. I have moved the tractor in out of gear and rocked the hydrostatic forward and and reverse pedal. Anybody have any suggestions?

/ CT122 electrical gremlin #34  
I first had the same electrical gremlin as jonnyc1999 as as result of the tin battery cable connectors, but now my problem is quite a bit more difficult. Dashboard lights come on, and I can hear the click at the relay when I sit down on the seat and trigger that safety mechanism. However, there is nothing come from the starter. I could still jump the tractor at the starter solenoid, so I replaced the starter solenoid--didn't fix the problem. I replaced the relay switch--no fix. I replaced the ignition switch itself--no fix. I replaced the battery--no fix. The PTO is not engaged. I have checked the safety switch in the seat. I have moved the tractor in out of gear and rocked the hydrostatic forward and and reverse pedal. Anybody have any suggestions?

Yes. You have used the "shotgun" to no avail. Now it is time to break out the "rifle". Get a volt-ohm meter and a workshop manual with a circuit diagram and start troubleshooting. If the starter wont spin, find out why. You know it will because you have "jumpered" it. Find out why when you turn the key it does not spin.. Broken,or corroded connections? You have to get scientific with it now, You have tried all the easy "shotgun" approach fixes. None of them fixed it.. The original problem remains. If you cannot read and follow a circuit diagram or understand how to use a VOM, then either enlist the aid of someone who can, or take it to someone who can.. Sorry I cannot be of more help than this. And I know I am not telling you anything you don't already know, but this is pretty much the way it is.

James K0UA

/ CT122 electrical gremlin #35  
James,

Thanks. Ya, I have probably spent more in parts that were perfectly fine than I would have spent if I just would have called my mechanic from the get-go. I will try to remember to post what the problem was once a real mechanic traces the problem.