CT122 electrical gremlin

/ CT122 electrical gremlin
hmmmm, thanks for the tip k0ua, I'll have to look into it :thumbsup:

/ CT122 electrical gremlin #22  
Hi I'm not real familiar with Bobcat but if it's similar to the older small massey ,my neighbours was acting the same & ended up to be a blown fuse ,because the starter wiring at the side of the engine had rubbed through & shorted out on the block.the fuse was in a holder which was in line ( plastic sheild with wires going in & out ) under the hood just behind the engine. Good Luck Bruce:)

I'll have to look into that as well, thanks!

well, you guys saved me $300. Thank you!!!! I got home from work and went to hook up the battery to do some more tests, and the positive cable crumbled in my hand!!! I can't believe that such a thing could happen after such a short time, but the clamps are made out of sheetmetal or some other crappy thin material. I'm surprised I didn't notice it the other evening when I took the battery out. I'll be taking the cable back to Bobcat for warranty but I'm not sure I even want to put a new one of the same quality on. I'm thinking of getting a marine cable made up, with tinned wire and high quality ends.

Here is what I'm working with, for those who like pics:

2013-01-21_16-25-28_683.jpg

2013-01-21_16-25-46_758.jpg

/ CT122 electrical gremlin #25  
yep, that is what I was talking about. Greenish/whitesh "mung" what ever you get to replace it with. get some of this and coat everything metal on the cable clamp, battery post, and push it into the strands of wire in the cable if possible, and cover any exposed metal part of the cable with a good coating of this stuff, and your problems will never return..

Amazon.com: no-ox-id a-special

James K0UA

Thanks everyone for your help!!! I went to Bobcat today and they wanted $50 for a new positive cable and in order for it to be covered under warranty they needed me to haul my tractor an hour away to them. Instead, I went to the auto parts store and bought a positive cable for $9 and some loom to protect it. I'm happy to say that the tractor started right up!!!

I'm going to order some of that corrosion protectant that k0ua recommended but I think that the lead end will be much sturdier than the cheapo potmetal end that bobcat originally provided!

/ CT122 electrical gremlin #29  
My goodness. The Bobcat dealer sure didn't act very helpful on this issue. That is terrible.

MoKelly

I agree...I'd be less than happy about this and wouldn't hesitate to give BC corporate a call.

/ CT122 electrical gremlin #30  
I've used NOCO corrosion spray and those felt pads soaked in the stuff for over 30 years when I learned of it from working in a garage. I've never had cable clamps corrode. Here's a site and amazon sells the stuff to if you buy there. Just something known to work and probably similar to what K0ua mentioned. NCP-2 Battery Corrosoion Preventative - All Battery Sales and Service