Ideas for building small scale hay wagon

/ Ideas for building small scale hay wagon #1  

2DeereSleds

Tractor
John Deere GT275
I bought a 2200 lb wagon frame from Princess Auto, that looks identical to these wagons from Northern Tool:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/trailers-transportation/122483-small-hay-wagon.html

I will primarily use it for transporting kids, leaves, grass clippings, firewood, and possibly topsoil or gravel. I am planning to use it behind my ATV, but also have an Allis Chalmers D-17... :D

I was thinking of sandwiching together a couple rough cut 2X6's or 2X8's as my beams from front to back and then 1" rough cut (maybe 6" wide) as the decking. But, after looking at the pictures of these other wagons, I'm not sure if it would be strong enough.

I'm wondering if the beams should be bolted to the frame on both ends, or leaving opposite ends free to allow the wagon & deck to flex on uneven ground...

Also, looking for ideas on preserving rough cut lumber (probably will use hemlock)...

Any ideas? Thanks!

2DeereSleds

/ Ideas for building small scale hay wagon #2  
I see my wagon in the link you provided. I used a 2X6 for the front to back beams, bolted in all four corners and 5/4 porch decking boards for the floor. That is plenty strong. It is about 7 years old now and the weak link is the tires, it sits outside year round.

/ Ideas for building small scale hay wagon #3  
i am curious, what did you pay for the running gear from princess auto? What is max capicity? Looks like it should make a decent small trailler

/ Ideas for building small scale hay wagon
It is on for CDN $299.99 + taxes.

On Page 42 of the current flyer:

2,200 LB CAPACITY UTILITY WAGON
ITEM NUMBER 2440011

ADJUSTS FROM 50" to 78" LONG
36" WIDE FRAME
16X6.50-8 TURF TIRES
WT 114.4 LBS

Here in Ontario, they only get them twice a year, so you gotta get 'em when they're in the flyer!

I'm hoping it should work well behind the ATV, but time will tell... :)

2DeereSleds