Building permits required???

/ Building permits required??? #31  
I live in a rural county in Missouri. You can build ANYTHING without a permit,including a house. The county wants to know only for property tax purposes. Call the electric company and see what their policy is. They might let you bury your own wire from the pole.

/ Building permits required??? #32  
Kind of confused as to why.... "When I called the building department, they seemed not to care". The following clearly states that permits are required. Maybe back when you biult they weren't. Are you being taxed on the structure?

"A permit is required anytime that a new building is constructed, structural changes made within a building or additions to existing structures. Also, permits are required for electrical upgrades, meter changes, etc. Plumbing permits are required for new plumbing fixtures or for relocating plumbing fixtures. Mechanical permits are required for new equipment, change-outs, running a gas line, etc. For more information, contact the Codes Enforcement Division at (864) 467-7060."

Perhaps his county adopted a building code after he built his shed. He hasn't given us enough info.

/ Building permits required??? #33  
Fortunately, there are some places left where you don't need permits. And in those areas, buildings aren't falling down, things aren't blowing up, things are still safe. Permits are just another tax under a different name. Unfortunately I don't live in one of them places, and because work is so slow right now, every permit is getting nit picked to death, because the permits department have the time to nit pick. It is very frustrating trying to get work done right now. You would think that with less work going on, things could get approved faster, ain't happening.

Not sure about your part of Md., but Charles County has an exception to the code for barns. No permit required to erect a barn as long as the property consists of 5 or more acres. Trying to preserve/enhance the ag lifestyle. Otherwise, anything bigger than 10x12 gets permitted. Of course all utilities are permitted regardless of use.

Nitpicking or reluctant to make a decision. State and local always coming up with rules that they can't interpret. Trying to get approval on a commercial site, disturbed soils became an issue. They wanted to include the area being replanted in the disturbed soils allocation.

/ Building permits required??? #34  
These days most every place in the U.S. require permits. It may not require inspections, but I can almost garentte 'ya permits are required. AG or not.
Most is the key word. Not every place requires permits. I know of counties and even municipalities that don't require permits other than for a septic. There are areas where only electrical work requires a permit.
Some places do require permits for certain work but they don't require inspections. Its usually siding, gutters, replacement windows, and roofing that fall into the permit required but no inspections required category. In cases like that permits are required for tax asessment reasons, not life safety reasons.

/ Building permits required??? #35  
Yeah, I love having to repair stuff not built to code. Can't tell you how much fun it is.

I've made some good money bringing stuff others have done up to code! Its cheaper to do it right the first time than to redo it later.

/ Building permits required??? #37  
These days most every place in the U.S. require permits. It may not require inspections, but I can almost garentte 'ya permits are required. AG or not.

W. H. Drane - Municipal Codes
This don't apply to Washington county .
The county and the city are 2 different entities.

Like I said Washington Co. don't have a building code and the only permit required is for a septic tank installation.

While the city is located within the county it is not the county so as such has no jurisdiction over the county or its residents.

/ Building permits required??? #39  
10-4

I have met Tony Lauro at code hearings. Nice guy. Last time I checked,Ohio has a State building code.
http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4101:1

If you think codes are a new phenomenon....think again.

"Throughout history civilized cultures have recognized that building codes are necessary to protect the public health, safety and welfare and guarantee consistent standards of quality. In ancient Babylon the Code of Hammurabi held contractors liable for their work, stating that if a contractor built a house which collapsed and killed the householder, the builder "shall be slain". We suspect that quality workmanship was the rule."

I always like that one....LOL

/ Building permits required??? #40  
This don't apply to Washington county .
The county and the city are 2 different entities.

Like I said Washington Co. don't have a building code and the only permit required is for a septic tank installation.

While the city is located within the county it is not the county so as such has no jurisdiction over the county or its residents.

But the County does.

LBrown, on this and on other threads you have repeatedly stated this. As someone who lived in So. Ohio for many years and did a considerable amount of building there, I take exception to your oft repeated claim that "we ain't got no stinkin' building permits here". Attached are the Washington County Building Permits forms. In the previous post, I provided the link to the Washington Building department, which subscribes to the (BBOC)State of Ohio Building Code 2002.

Heck, I've got free long distance on my cell phone. What say we just make a a quick call to Washington County and verify?