Building permits required???

/ Building permits required??? #11  
I live in a very agriculture friendly county

When I checked about 10 years ago to see if I needed a permit to build an 8x10 tool shed I also asked what I could do with out a permit.

I could build a huge pole barn, no walls (cannot remember the size but was big), dig a pond, put up a fence & gates, dig a well, clear the land, including trees.

However, a tool shed did require a permit, but I could not get one for vacant land.
I live on the land now, zoning is poorly and arbitrary enforced around here.

/ Building permits required??? #12  
Definitely a county by county deal. In my county you have to have a permit, engineered drawings etc. to build a pole barn. You can't even take an existing structure down and move it without engineered drawings and a 'move' permit. In another county I looked at property in a pole barn is an 'Ag' structure and no permit required. It seems to follow how developed your county is.

As far was permits to run electrical usually the contractor hired to do the work pulls whatever permits they need. I would start with a call to the electric company.

/ Building permits required??? #13  
Codes change constantly. 20 years ago I built a 24x24 storage shed and when I asked the town about a permit they said they didn't have any rules to contact the state. I did and was told any agricultural storage building didn't need a permit so I built it.

4 years ago I put up a 8x10 shed and the now building inspector stopped and told me that new rules were in effect and I needed a permit unless I made the shed movable and if it was movable it wouldn't be assessed for tax purposes. I built it on 3 treated 6x6's, no permit and no tax assessment.

I guess this is a long winded way to say that you need to check what the rules are at the time you build.

/ Building permits required??? #14  
In NY the zoning codes are enforced on a town by town basis--not county wide--just make sure you get the answer from the correct governing body for your area.

/ Building permits required??? #15  
Maybe just call any local electricians and ask them what it would take. Don't give them a particular road or street name. They might be able to give you a reasonably accurate answer. And if you look into getting power if you have a backhoe rather than setting poles see if you can run underground power. It might cost a few more bucks. You would draw less attention with out power poles running to your building. I would think with no walls on the building the requirement might be for GFI type circuits because of exposure to rain or moisture. Now if you enclosed the building that might change that picture. Who knows it is such a can of worms as you have mentioned. Keep us posted.

/ Building permits required??? #16  
I wouldn't bother with the poles. I would rent a ditch witch and trench it to bury the line. Quick and propbably alot cheaper considering you can do it on your own. Just maybe need a electrian to do the tie in

/ Building permits required??? #17  
Looks to me that greenville county has adoped the ICC codes. The only building that I am aware of that would be exempt would be less than 200 sf under the 2006 IRC.

??????????????????

/ Building permits required??? #18  
Codes and permit requirements are different in different locations. The county where I live requires a permit for any construction or repair valued at $1000 or more. The permit requirement is $500 or more in some area towns. No jurisdiction in my area goes by building size when determining if a permit is needed. Its all figured on the value of the improvement here. My county requires permits for improvements valued at $1000 or more, but does not charge for permits if the property is zoned ag. One area town waives the permit fee for not-for-profit owned properties. I own property in another county that doesn't require any building permits other than for a septic system, and thats only because the state requires them to do so.
I agree with the person that said to call the power company. They'll tell you what you need. They may say you need a permit. They might sat you don't.

/ Building permits required??? #19  
Kind of confused as to why.... "When I called the building department, they seemed not to care". The following clearly states that permits are required. Maybe back when you biult they weren't. Are you being taxed on the structure?

"A permit is required anytime that a new building is constructed, structural changes made within a building or additions to existing structures. Also, permits are required for electrical upgrades, meter changes, etc. Plumbing permits are required for new plumbing fixtures or for relocating plumbing fixtures. Mechanical permits are required for new equipment, change-outs, running a gas line, etc. For more information, contact the Codes Enforcement Division at (864) 467-7060."

/ Building permits required??? #20  
Well, I think it is time to get it legal, before you add electric. Explain your problem. I don't think they can make you tear it down, but they may make you prove it meets code, like exposing how deep you put the poles and how much concrete you put under the poles. Digging a hole next to one ought to prove it. Everything else is easily inspected because it is totaly exposed.

Then it is a matter of paying the fine, paying back property taxes which you owe like everyone else. Then get your permits from now on and sleep better.