PTO to hydraulic pump connection ?

/ PTO to hydraulic pump connection ? #1  

bcarwell

Gold Member
Tractor
Kabota 7500DT
What are some good ways to take off power from a PTO shaft and connect it to a two stage hydraulic pump for running a log splitter ? I have a spare PTO shaft I can dedicate to a log splitter if I can just figure out how to gear up from the 540 rpm PTO and connect it to the hydraulic pump reliably which I believe is expecting 3600 rpm expected out of the 5HP Briggs. (belts, gears, ?). I have plans for a 20 ton log splitter using a Briggs engine. But I'm trying to keep cost down and not fiddle with yet another gas engine to maintain and use my tractor instead. I can't use the auxiliary hydraulic take off from my tractor because its a little 22hp Kabota and I think the auxiliary hydraulics aren't powerful enough for the cylinder.

I assume there are appropriate hydaulic pump units that connect directly to a PTO like a PTO water pump but would guess they are also very pricey.

And a more general question: what kinds of couplers and such are available (and where ?) to connect from the PTO shaft spline and result in a plain old keyed motor type shaft for accepting a belt wheel or a Lovejoy coupler ?

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Bob

/ PTO to hydraulic pump connection ? #2  
not sure if this would work but could you replace the auxiliary pump with the 2-stage pump? what rpm does the auxiliary pump turn at?

/ PTO to hydraulic pump connection ? #3  
I think you may be confusing flow rate and pressure.

it's very likely that the remots on your machine deliver sufficient pressure.. likely inthe 2500psi range.. however, the flow rate will probably be dismal on a log splitter.. now..

what is the flow rate ont he pump you have that wants 3600rpm.. ? is it real high.. like 30? if so, you could run it straight tot he pto shaft, and then run your pto rpms up just a tad.. say to make 600.. then that would be a division of the pump original output by 5.. making, for instance.. our 30gpm pump into a 6gpm pump.. slightly low.. but very acceptable for hobby use.

got a spool valve and cyl?

soundguy

/ PTO to hydraulic pump connection ? #4  
Although they are more money, I think it's a wash when you consider the simplicity of a direct mount pump: PTO Pumps, especially if you would need to purchase a gearbox, pillow blocks, shafts, pulleys, belts...

/ PTO to hydraulic pump connection ? #5  
I have pondered this question myself. In order to get 3600 rpm you will need a extreme pulley size difference. If I did my math right you could use a 4" pulley on the pump and it would take a 27" pulley on the pto. I have a broken pto generator and have thought about using that gear box to spin the pump up to speed but don't know if it would spin the right direction or not.
Rob

/ PTO to hydraulic pump connection ? #6  
Unless you have a handy pile of parts...you'll be money ahead to just get a small engine.
The 6.5 horse clones are selling for $100 at Harbor Freight right now.

/ PTO to hydraulic pump connection ? #7  
dang that's cheap!

soundguy

/ PTO to hydraulic pump connection ? #8  
hi once when we were kids we needed to run an airplain generator at 3000rpm for a welder we used a 4 speed transmision we powered the tailshaft of the transmision and in low gear we had all the speed we needed ran the whole thing off of an old wd 45 alice chalmers we used that old welder for about 10 years wldrbob

/ PTO to hydraulic pump connection ? #9  
ONE of the somewhat misleading log splitter spec details is cycle time.
It has been VERY RARE that I have needed to run the wedge all the way through a log, i.e. the FULL 24 inch stroke.
FAR MORE common is about a 4 inch stroke; With 18 inch logs this means opening up to maybe 19 inches and stopping at about 15, maple and oak are just about busted apart by this point. Elm ? not so, but I try to avoid that anyway.

So, for PRACTICAL log splitting you might want to design around a stroke of 4 to 6 inches - this will likely affect your prediction of needed flow rate (-:

/ PTO to hydraulic pump connection ? #10