Snowblower Conversion - Pics

/ Snowblower Conversion - Pics
I need to reverse direction on a shaft running forward to an 8 ft front mounted blower and had thought about doing it as you did, with a gear on the rear pto and another on the shaft, but was a little worried about running them in the open. I looked for a field chopper reverser without success and had about decided on the 3 sprocket and chain or a small car differential with the pinion shaft locked down. The gearing directly on the pto would be a whole lot neater and less complicated. Are you running them in the open with grease or did you enclose them in a gearbox with oil? Do you have enough use on it yet to see any problems?
Thanks,
Smiley

My gears are open and I intend to manually grease about every ten hrs +/- when I grease the bearings and PTO. The gears are protected by sheet metal covers as a safety precaution and also to contain the grease that will be slung out. Being a winter snow machine I don't anticipate dust and dirt contamination to be an issue.

I have not used the blower at all except for a full speed test with no load. Still waiting for winter to arrive. I know a lot of the country is getting severe conditions but not here yet.

For gear selection check out the engineering tool at rushgears.com. Using the tool I was able to match the strength of my gears to the tractor's PTO HP. Rush Gears just makes custom one-off gears so buying there is out of the question. I bought my gears from McMaster Carr. They have a decent selection but the 20 degree pitch angle gears I would have preferred (a bit stronger) were not available and I had to settle for 14 1/2 PA gears.

Eyeball engineering said my small gear should not be less than 3" dia ($87+/-). My 1:2 ration dictated the large gear then at 6" ($140). The gears come without keyways or setscrew bores so you'll need to provide them yourself.

Good luck with your project, I had fun with mine. Post you results, others will be interested.

/ Snowblower Conversion - Pics #22  
Red Dirt,
Thanks for the info. When I get at it next summer, I've got a a transmission/transfer case laying in the garage I may tear it apart and try to adapt gears from there to keep cost down. I have lathe etc to machine whatever necessary. However I wind up doing it, I will post it when done as it should be quite a beast. !00 HP 4WD

Attachments

• MAX FRONT TILTED.jpg
    MAX FRONT TILTED.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 278
   / Snowblower Conversion - Pics #23  
red dirt- what I meant was for the cost to get a already built rear 3pt blower might be the same as modifying a front for the rear. If you used the same materails and just work on modifying it to fit for your tractor on front mount, comparing cost of buying one to building one, you come out ahead.

/ Snowblower Conversion - Pics #24  
Would I do it again? Probably not. As you say rear blowers are available for around what I've spent on this one (although relatively scarce around here for some reason or another). At my initial estimate of $450 to $550 complete I was hoping for a very reasonable "new" blower. At the $750 price tag I wish I'd have been more patient and waited until I could have found a used one in decent shape that did not require all the work.

Like many DIY projects, especially" make-overs", once committed, the project itself often dictates the budget and not preconceived plans and estimates.

RedDirt -- first of all; nice work.

I do have to agree with your final analysis here. I looked into doing a similar conversion, but ended up finding a nearly-unused pre-owned 48" 3PH blower for $700. I subsequently sold that one for $1200, and purchased well-used, Woods SB60 (60") for $800, now that I have a larger tractor. The woods has lots of life left in it. Now; neither has a power chute rotator, but it will be fairly easy to add to the woods; I'm already watching for the right deal on CL or eBay on a small hydraulic motor (I already have rear remotes).

red dirt- what I meant was for the cost to get a already built rear 3pt blower might be the same as modifying a front for the rear. If you used the same materails and just work on modifying it to fit for your tractor on front mount, comparing cost of buying one to building one, you come out ahead.

Now I agree.

On the phone the seller "thought" it turned in the correct direction for me. I should have studied the for-sale photo better and figured it out for myself and declined due to what I knew would be added expense to reverse rotation. After driving four hours to look-see and realizing it turned the wrong way I still considered declining but on-the-spot figured I could reverse rotation cheaper than my final bottom line.

At home researching alternate drive methods it turned out gears were the most efficient method so I just bit the bullet and proceeded. One of those "Oh well" moments.

On the plus side for my project I ended up with a brand new, unused rear blower for $750, a fun project, and a chance to do some machine work with my buddy.

Do it again? Probably not but I am satisfied with the outcome none the less. If it ever snows here this year...and it works well... the added couple hundred above estimate will be soon forgotten.

Massey driver did something similar but with a slight twist.

Front mount belt driven snowblowers - TractorByNet.com

Yes, I've seen that one and spoke w/massey about it on a different post. I actually found one of those gearboxes, normally $600, on sale locally for $400. It is made by Hub City. Too expensive for my project and Hub City tech thought it would be too lightweight for my application (because of my speed increase). He didn't think the gear box would handle the torque. I think Massey was reducing speed and the gearbox was up to that task for him.

I realize I never posted any finished pictures of the converted blower so here are a few. It was finished several weeks ago and I've been waiting for snow to test it out.

FinLtfQtr.JPG FinRtSide.JPG FinCloseUp.JPG

We finally got a little snow; a measly 3". With the blower set two inches above gravel I had to blow the stuff that had slid off the roof in order to get a bit of volume in the blower.

1stRun.JPG 1stRun#2.JPG

Over all I was satisfied. I'm getting about 12ft-15ft throw with VERY heavy wet show. This is a bit less distance I was looking for so when I tear down in the spring to paint I might add the impeller rebuild rubbers that have been discussed elsewhere on TBN. Currently my impeller to housing clearance is about 1/4 -5/16 inch. The add-on rubbers will close this gap to almost zero and my throw should be increased.

/ Snowblower Conversion - Pics #29  
Nice job RedDirt! When you paint it, it'll look like you bought it. I like your chute rotator.

Jay

/ Snowblower Conversion - Pics #30  
We finally got a little snow; a measly 3". With the blower set two inches above gravel I had to blow the stuff that had slid off the roof in order to get a bit of volume in the blower.

You need to head to Durango, Colorado as they've gotten about 4-feet of the white stuff the past few days courtesy of the storms from California. Wolf Creek ski area east of Durango has gotten 64" in the past week.

That should be a good test!

Looks good!