Snowblower Conversion - Pics

/ Snowblower Conversion - Pics #12  
Very kool, I was thinking of doing the same thing

/ Snowblower Conversion - Pics #13  
Reddirt,

Nice job on the conversion.

I have always wanted to try a cog belt drive, and I was wondering how it would have worked in your application.

They have virtually no slippage unless the belt jumps a tooth. It would be relatively easy to keep the snow away, and would probably kept the cost much lower.

The drawback in your application was the direction change, which was made easy with the gear drive.

/ Snowblower Conversion - Pics #14  
Very nice clean build. Can not wait to see action pictures.

Chris

/ Snowblower Conversion - Pics #15  
Very nice work!

Hope you post some action pictures!

/ Snowblower Conversion - Pics #16  
nice planning and work. If you had to do it over again, would you consider making it front mount instead? I would. rear 3pt seems cheap, but front mount fabrication would be a real money saver!

/ Snowblower Conversion - Pics
GE222 - "I have always wanted to try a cog belt drive, and I was wondering how it would have worked in your application."

I think a cog belt would be a great drive mechanism. I tried designing a belt drive but could not make it work to double the impeller speed AND reverse the rotation.

Diamond Pilot & Low Bucket,
I am as anxious as you are for some "action". Every five/ten years we get a huge snow season. Likewise every five/ten years we get an almost no snow season. This year is certainly not the former but I sure hope it's not the latter!

radioman - "If you had to do it over again, would you consider making it front mount instead? I would. rear 3pt seems cheap, but front mount fabrication would be a real money saver!"

No, my preference is rear mound so I can drive/face forward when when pushing snow with my (yet to be built) front blade. Most of our snow is light and blading normally works fine.

I have two previous winters using my rear blade with gauge wheels for snow clearing. We have a 600ft circle gravel driveway and 1/4 mile gravel road to the county pavement. First year I pushed going in reverse and second year I pulled going forward. Pulling worked fine until snow was too deep or I ran out of room to to deposit snow at the side of the road. My intention with the front blade/rear blower is to make two passes blading snow to the center of the road then blow the windrow.

Many times we will get back to bare ground between snow storms. But not knowing the future I'd tend to blade a much wider roadway than needed is case it just kept snowing. With my proposed method I won't have to blade as wide.

How would a front mount fabrication be a "real money saver"?

/ Snowblower Conversion - Pics #18  
How would a front mount fabrication be a "real money saver"?

I think he means you wouldn't have the 2 expensive gears to reverse direction. I don't know if you would still have to double the speed though.

/ Snowblower Conversion - Pics
I think he means you wouldn't have the 2 expensive gears to reverse direction. I don't know if you would still have to double the speed though.

Nope. I'd still need to reverse directions.

Standing behind rear mount blower looking forward:
Impeller CCW / Rear PTO CW rotations
Mid PTO CCW / Impeller CW rotations

Either installation would need reversing rotation.

Speed needed to be increased 1:2 for rear mount: Rear PTO 540rpm / Impeller 1080rpm

Speed would need to be reduced about 2:1 for front mount: Mid PTO 2500rpm / Impeller 1250rpm

/ Snowblower Conversion - Pics #20  
I need to reverse direction on a shaft running forward to an 8 ft front mounted blower and had thought about doing it as you did, with a gear on the rear pto and another on the shaft, but was a little worried about running them in the open. I looked for a field chopper reverser without success and had about decided on the 3 sprocket and chain or a small car differential with the pinion shaft locked down. The gearing directly on the pto would be a whole lot neater and less complicated. Are you running them in the open with grease or did you enclose them in a gearbox with oil? Do you have enough use on it yet to see any problems?
Thanks,
Smiley