Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch

/ Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch #31  
Just curious, but does nayone have any objective information re: the relative strength, safety, and utility of using chain in slots vs. clevises, grab or slip hooks, or other chain fixation methods for haulng, lifting, or dragging logs and pther heafy loads?

I have to imagine that hooking up using the slots is madly easier and quicker than clevises or quicklinks, (though grab hooks aren't that much less so) but wondered about whether there were issues with bending the slotted bars. Obviously the chain can't/won't bounce out when loaded, but is it as strong and secure otherwise?

/ Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch
Did you make any further additions or mods to the design?

That is a big ole log.

T

Nope, still exactly as built. I need to add some more hooks to drag multiple logs at a time now that we're using bigger tractors.

Just curious, but does nayone have any objective information re: the relative strength, safety, and utility of using chain in slots vs. clevises, grab or slip hooks, or other chain fixation methods for haulng, lifting, or dragging logs and pther heafy loads?

I have to imagine that hooking up using the slots is madly easier and quicker than clevises or quicklinks, (though grab hooks aren't that much less so) but wondered about whether there were issues with bending the slotted bars. Obviously the chain can't/won't bounce out when loaded, but is it as strong and secure otherwise?

A slot in a piece of metal vs a grab hook are about the same in my experience. I use a grab hook suspended by a quick link to give it a little more flexibility. A grab hook with a swivel to attach it would be great, but I haven't come across any yet.

/ Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch #33  
Nope, still exactly as built. I need to add some more hooks to drag multiple logs at a time now that we're using bigger tractors.

A slot in a piece of metal vs a grab hook are about the same in my experience. I use a grab hook suspended by a quick link to give it a little more flexibility. A grab hook with a swivel to attach it would be great, but I haven't come across any yet.

Thanks,
T