Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch

/ Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch #11  
Nice job!! I made one several years ago and modified it a couple of time to meet changing needs. P.S. you can never have to many shackles.:D

Attachments

• DSCF1911 (Small) (Small).JPG
    DSCF1911 (Small) (Small).JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 742
  • DSCF1913 (Small).JPG
    DSCF1913 (Small).JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 835
   / Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch #12  
I have been using this one. Sure is nice to be able to pick some fairly good sized logs and keep them clean for the most part while skidding them out of the woods. Have about 60ft of line on the winch now, but haven't used it. Having the hooks on the frame make for multiple logs. With the tongs it is just one at a time, but you get more lift with it.

Attachments

• P1020889(1).JPG
    P1020889(1).JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,008
  • P1020889.JPG
    P1020889.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 796
   / Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch #13  
sorry for the double up. here is a side view

Attachments

• P1020888.JPG
    P1020888.JPG
    338.6 KB · Views: 1,074
   / Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch #14  
I agree, great looking welds, putting that on your B3200? How about some action shots!

/ Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch #15  
Great to see the different ideas and fab jobs.
I since have added some chain hooks to the iMatch and use the big top hook to take the logging tongs.

Attachments

• loggingtongs.jpg
    loggingtongs.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,634
   / Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch
Well, I got it done this morning and I'm pretty happy with the results.

Here's the completed setup:

P1010351sm.jpg

Mounted up:

P1010353sm.jpg

With some chain hanging on it:

P1010356sm.jpg

I have a couple shackles that I'm using for now, but really need three chain hooks to take up extra length in the choker chains. I'll put a coat of paint on it in the next day or so, I wanted to get it out and try it before I painted it in case I need to modify anything.

Here's a couple action shots (sorry for the poor quality pics):

P1010358sm.jpg

P1010357sm.jpg

It worked really well and will be even better when I get the proper chain hooks on it. I pulled this locust log about a half mile out of the woods and it worked pretty good. Later I went down to another spot down along a creek and cut a fair bit of smaller locust. Had three 8-10" logs about 20' long choked up but couldn't get them out. The trail was a little off-camber and I slid off the side into the creek. Took about half and hour of crab walking my way up the creek with the loader bucket to get out, so I didn't get any pics as it was dark by the time I made it back to the shed.

I'll have to either wait for the snow to melt down more or get a set of chains, but I'll get some more/better action pics the next time I take it out. I might put it on my old Ford and give it a try, it does a lot better in the snow.

Great to see everyone else's pics, a small winch is something I might work into this design eventually.

/ Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch #17  
Looks great!

Didn't take long to find a log to try it with :)
You'd never be able to just drag that tree with the jagged root section, without lifting it off the ground.

JB.

/ Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch #18  
Great job. Nothing slipperier than that wet snow. Chomping at the bit to get into the woods but we have ice/snow about 12" deep, and 6" more coming tomorrow.

Thanks for the pics. Glad you got outta the crick. :):D

/ Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch #19  
I have one suggestion...looking at the pics I see the lynch pins (they have the bail that snaps over to keep it locked.
I've lost those doing work in the woods, and came very near to breaking a casting when one arm came off. They apparently get ripped open with a stick or heavy brush, and don't know they are missing until it is too late.
In places where I could, I replaced them with a bolt and lock nut. Now with the quick hitch, I even replaced them at both ends of the lift arms.

/ Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch #20  
Nice welds, nice attachment. Wish I had more trees to move since I have a broken BB I could probably modify to your design. Good luck with it.