Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #21  
There are lots of YouTube videos of screw-type splitters in use. I honestly cannot understand the amount of "spook" associated with the vast majority of them.

Watch this and explain to me how this is any more dangerous than a large drill press, or a table saw, or a chainsaw, or....

YouTube - WOOD SCREW SPLITTER - GAS POWERED

Here's another one....electric powered for smaller stuff:

YouTube - Kegelspalter (Eigenbau)

Now if you're jacking up one side of a vehicle, propping the throttle, and have no way of shutting things down in an emergency....that's another story altogether. But then it's hardly wood splitting in and of itself that's making the situation dangerous.

;)

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #22  
That was a nice video. How many people split dry wood? That was not oak or hickory either. Now don't get me wrong, 'cause I have a 3pt Bark Buster auger splitter that I use every year to split wood. You must have a healthy respect for the tool. I would never use it alone and never get in a rush. My auger turns slower and has a coarse pitch. When green hickory splits it tears the grain apart and may not split completely in two pieces.

Russell in Lizella

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #23  
You must have a healthy respect for the tool.

Agreed. But if you've already been out in the woods felling trees with a chainsaw, you've already done the really dangerous part of the job. You've been using a dangerous piece of equipment, often oddly-positioned, often in areas where footing or routes to safety aren't optimal, etc.

When you get back to home-base, you're comparatively safe I think. I'm sure there are statistics about numbers of injuries per year while cutting versus splitting wood....and I've got to believe cutting results in far more injuries or fatalities.

Used properly and with proper gear, a screw-type splitter isn't any more dangerous than lots of other stuff we use every day. I guess it just must be the imposing appearance of the screw that puts some people off.
:)

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #24  
I own one and I'm happy with it. No more dangerous then de-limbing a tree on the ground with a chainsaw, or cutting with a tablesaw.
Just be careful. If you find it scary don't use it. I don't do things that I find scary either.

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #25  
I had one years ago but it didn't have a table only a bar that was supposed to keep the wood from rotating. The bar broke and when the wood took off it almost broke both my arms. I now use the old standby hydro splitter.

It always seemed like I was feeding fuel to about 30 hp more than I needed to do the job with the old screw splitter.

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #26  
my grandpa build what was probably the worlds fastest and most likely to kill or maim you log splitter.:laughing: It was basically a 1 ton flywheel with a wedge welded on it, spinning at about 15 rpm. the wedge passed through a slot in the table and you sat the log in the table as soon as the wedge passed, and a few seconds latter it was split in half and ready for the next one. This thing would split wood as fast as you could feed it.

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #27  
my grandpa build what was probably the worlds fastest and most likely to kill or maim you log splitter.:laughing: It was basically a 1 ton flywheel with a wedge welded on it, spinning at about 15 rpm. the wedge passed through a slot in the table and you sat the log in the table as soon as the wedge passed, and a few seconds latter it was split in half and ready for the next one. This thing would split wood as fast as you could feed it.

Sounds like this style:

YouTube - WORLDS FASTEST LOGSPLITTER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40sCGb678sQ&NR

Bruce

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #29  
   / Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #30  
EVERYTHING we do is dangerous. I can't imagine any type of splitter being more dangerous than a chain saw, but we certainly are not going to stop cutting wood. We don't let our hair or loose clothing or gloves get caught in the chain saw, or the lawn mower blade, or a bicycle chain or the PTO even without an implement on it. People keep saying "it's dangerous if you're not paying attention!" Really??? What isn't? Getting into the shower is dangerous if you're not paying attention. You could slip and fall. You could get scalded. You could get soap in your eyes.

I have not used one of these screw type of splitters but they seem to be simple and straight forward. You hold the round AT THE ENDS and push the CENTER of the round into the screw. Then you let go and step back and let the splitter do its thing. You shouldn't be getting close enough to get clothing caught in the screw. Your hands are on the end of the round away from the screw. As long as you have something blocking the round to prevent it from spinning AND you don't lean against the round to press it into the screw I just don't see what all the wailing and moaning and gnashing of teeth is about.