Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #11  
I got one from Atom Splitter (search ebay) and love it. The "screw" replaces auger on the PHD. Easy on/off and works great.

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #12  
The guy I bought my old Gravely walk behind from had one he adapted to use with a Gravely front pto. Of course I asked if he would sell it and of course he said no. He demonstrated it for me and darn if that thing didn't do a pretty good job. I keep thinking I'd like to try and build one for my Gravely once the house is finished and I have a garage or workshop and a welder... Sigh, maybe someday.

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #13  
Like most things, they're fine unless something stupid happens. Like slipping on a patch of mud, or a piece of wood rolling under your foot, or losing your balance, or a piece of wood not behaving the way you think it will.

An old girlfriend's father had one that bolted to the rear wheel of a car. After watching him split wood with it, I decided I'd never operate one, much less own one.

I don't plan on living forever, but I'll be ****** if I'm going to die that way.

Sean

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter
I just had a thought that I want to throw out there. Is it worth letting my hour meter on the tractor tick away using a log splitter attached to it. I just looked on tractor supply and a 22 ton husky log splitter is $1,200.

Would letting the tractor Idle wear on it over the long term? Im almost thinking that it might be worth the money to buy a stand alone and let the tractor take a rest during the splitting since it will be skidding all the logs anyway.

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #15  
I use an electric stand-alone, which suits the size wood I usually have. Bigger stuff gets cut once with the saw, then split.

I didn't like the idea of the tractor idling all day either. Even at higher rpm, there's still very little load on the engine, which means low exhaust temps and wet carbon buildup (slobbering).

I'll probably build a 3 point splitter in a couple of years' time, just for bigger wood if I get into that situation. The thing is, if I sort it into smaller stuff the electric will handle, and larger "ugly" wood for the 3 point splitter, then my run time on the tractor will be reduced.

Unless I can get a free engine and pump, I won't build a stand alone gas splitter while I have the tractor hydraulics available.

Sean

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #16  
Like most things, they're fine unless something stupid happens. Like slipping on a patch of mud, or a piece of wood rolling under your foot, or losing your balance, or a piece of wood not behaving the way you think it will.

An old girlfriend's father had one that bolted to the rear wheel of a car. After watching him split wood with it, I decided I'd never operate one, much less own one.

I don't plan on living forever, but I'll be ****** if I'm going to die that way.

Sean
Yup, better ways to die then being spun around like tooter turtle shouting "help me Mr Wizard!

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #17  
I just had a thought that I want to throw out there. Is it worth letting my hour meter on the tractor tick away using a log splitter attached to it. I just looked on tractor supply and a 22 ton husky log splitter is $1,200.

Would letting the tractor Idle wear on it over the long term? Im almost thinking that it might be worth the money to buy a stand alone and let the tractor take a rest during the splitting since it will be skidding all the logs anyway.

This has been debated before and there are legitimate reasons for both stand alone and tractor mounted. I have a 3 point splitter so I'm in that camp. When I'm using the splitter, the tractor is sitting there running 2300 rpm and there's no wear on the transmission, tires, etc. I only use the tractor 100 hours a year or so, so I don't expect to live long enough to wear it out.

On the plus side, I don't have to maintain another engine, the splitter takes up very little space in the shed, and if someone wants to borrow it, I tell them to bring their wood over to my place. :laughing:

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #18  
I have one (can't remmember the brand) It is rear tire driven. It was different in that you drove on a set of rollers and the screw was then driven by a chain drive. It had a small ramp and a roller lock to get onto the rollers. It works/worked great. I have more or less quit using it as the working position is to low for my ageing back. I now have a 20 ton driven by a gas engine and a skid steer mounted one that I use without getting off my butt. The screw splitter had a magnetic kill button to position close to the action to kill the motor when trouble occured. Never had to use the kill button. Closest I ever came to an accident was when doing a knotty piece of elm the truck went off the rollers and about ran away from me. Another advantage of the roller system was the ability to reverse the screw if it slipped the wheels on the roller. I still think the screw was faster than either of my present splitters but it is hard to compare as my age has slowed me considerably.

Edit; I think the type with the table are more safe than mine. Mine has a bar as opposed to the table to stop log rotation. Table should help stop accidential contact with the screw. I would think a "panic lever" to stop a PTO might be in order. Might stop the safety critics anyway. Operated lathes and mills all my adult life so never felt uneasy around rotating shafts. Big drawback of the PTO might be the inability to reverse direction in a "stuck" situation.

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #19  
thats not a bad idea
i managed to break a vise last year by using it to crush bearings, worked well for the time
wood would be better, and being hand wound if i put a bit bar on it mum could use it too =D

brilliant cheers guys

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #20  
I used one several years ago. It works, but scared me so bad I'll never use another. And that is from someone who climbs trees with a chainsaw, rides horses, and teaches kids how to shoot(not all at the same time, yet)