Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #41  
JB4310 said:
That screw type splitter scares me, I've seen the one that goes on the car hub :confused:

Yeah you could lose a finger to a hydraulic ram splitter, but that screw thing looks like it would tear your arm out by the roots if it got the chance :eek:

JB

Well you can run it at as slow an rpm as you like.

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #42  
Well you can run it at as slow an rpm as you like.

OK, so it will rip your arm off slower, I don't know if that is any better :)

Once you get hung up on it, the speed would not matter much. and there is no way of stopping it.

We have to have guards on our pto shafts so we don't come into contact with a smooth shaft ? I think those things are just asking for trouble.

I wouldn't criticize someone for using one, I'm just afraid of it myself. I let my 13 year old use the hydraulic log splitter with close supervision, I wouldn't let someone who wasn't totally competent to get near one of those screw splitters.

JB

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #43  
I still have one of the screw type that bolts to an axle, although I haven't used it in over 20 years. I used it extensively prior to getting a 20 ton self powered hydraulic unit. While you could seriously injure yourself if you were so inclined, with a little common sense you are in less danger of being injured from operating the splitter than driving on an interstate highway. I would suggest reading the operating instructions before attempting to operate it though. Properly operated, they are really quite safe because you are in almost complete control. After the splitter is set up, the screw type is easier to use and will split much larger diameter wood than will a hydraulic unit. I have actually split three foot "live oak" and I would challenge you to try that with any hydraulic splitter without first quartering it with a chainsaw. The real beauty of the screw splitter that I have is that you only need to get the wood to the screw, there is little lifting involved.:thumbsup:
Jim

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #44  
Used with reasonable caution I don't see how you're any more likely to get hung up in one than you are to get your arm caught in a linear hydraulic type. Heck you could set one up to be hydraulic powered and controlled with a foot pedal that you have to hold down to keep it turning. Maybe the danger some of you are seeing has more to do with implementation than it does with the actual screw concept.

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #45  
I put mine on a post hole digger and split whole logs not just the rounds then just lift the log up and buck off already split pieces. Depending on the log size I usually get 6 or so feet from the end and split. After you cut the other side of the auger it drops off, u turn the log a quarter turn then auger in again and that way you split it into quarters or more if it is a big one. Welded a handle to the PHD so I can put it exactly where I want it from the seat. Wouldnt want anyone next to it as I was splitting, usually the logs are too big to spin but the smaller ones will spin til the tire stops it. I love my setup and would not want to go back to a regular splitter or ouch a maul!
Rick

Attachments

• 10042010017.jpg
    10042010017.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 1,105
   / Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #46  
I put mine on a post hole digger and split whole logs not just the rounds then just lift the log up and buck off already split pieces. Depending on the log size I usually get 6 or so feet from the end and split. After you cut the other side of the auger it drops off, u turn the log a quarter turn then auger in again and that way you split it into quarters or more if it is a big one. Welded a handle to the PHD so I can put it exactly where I want it from the seat. Wouldnt want anyone next to it as I was splitting, usually the logs are too big to spin but the smaller ones will spin til the tire stops it. I love my setup and would not want to go back to a regular splitter or ouch a maul!
Rick

That's interesting, operated from the relative safe distance of the tractor seat.

is there any chance the log could be spun if the screw bound some how?

You could also set up a bunch of rounds and just drive up to them and split them. unless they would spin and not split??

JB.

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #47  
I am probably going to get a screw type for my Hydraulic Post Hole. I won't be near it so I am a lot more comfortable with the concept.
Question for those who have this device... Does it bind up ever? If so, how do you extract the screw?

And have you ever split a stump with it?

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #48  
Never bound up yet. Atom design adds a flared cone to the back of the screw. I think it should prevent it binding up in all but the worst case. I guess if it does get stuck you're going to have to shut the thing down, get off the tractor and use an axe or crobar to get the stubborn log off the screw.

Haven't tried a stump.

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #49  
As I recall there was a rash of them in the mid seventies (first Arab oil embargo, when we learned the OPEC acronym) when a lot of people started burning wood and outfits like Vermont Castings had a cast iron stove boom (Jotul too).

There were some very sick accidents with people using them on cars/tracks that were jacked up.
They could stall an engine if a manual trans was involved, so people would jimmy up a fast idle.
The trick to prevent it from jumping out of your hands was to put the log long end to the ground, but then if it jammed it could lift the axle off the jack and let it down somewhere other than on the jack.
Plenty got driven off the jack due to (unknown) limited slip axles.

The one in the you-tube video looked very good by comparison.
The table is very close to the screw, so it goes in very close to the end of the log.
I imagine that one could be used for quite slim branches to make kindling, just by laying them sideways.

If one like that came up at a local auction or yard sale I would probably go for it.

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #50  
I am probably going to get a screw type for my Hydraulic Post Hole. I won't be near it so I am a lot more comfortable with the concept.
Question for those who have this device... Does it bind up ever? If so, how do you extract the screw?

And have you ever split a stump with it?

With your hydraulic setup you could just reverse it. And no it has never bound up on me and we have no stumps here so havent tried it
Rick