Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 2520

Default Homemade Cultipacker

Thought I would post some pictures of my latest build.

Any comments and advice is appreciated.

We just built two of these for the local John deere dealer.

Frame width 7'

Total weight 500 lbs.

I-Match compatible.

I wish I had some photos of the build, but all I have is the finished product.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homemade Cultipacker-dsc03028.jpg   Homemade Cultipacker-dsc03033.jpg   Homemade Cultipacker-dsc03036.jpg   Homemade Cultipacker-dsc03037.jpg  
    Last edited by Muhammad; 05-13-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Tractor
    L3240GST, B2320HST, B5100D & G5200H

Default Re: Homemade Cultipacker

Nice looking machine.
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

Tractor
    JD 3320 eHydro w/ 300CX Loader

Looks very well built! I have an old 7' Dunham with an alternating "sprocket" tooth and a 'wavy" tooth, which we pull around by a drawbar with a 4 wheeler. Seems to me like my "wheels" are quite loose on the shaft so that they will follow all the small contours of the land. I imagine I have an inch of "slop" between the axel and the wheel I.D. I'm not sure if you have this kind of gap....or what others do in this area. Mine packs nicely. (but I sure make a racket when going down the road. )
    3320 eHydro, 300CX Loader & 15 + great attachments

You gotta mine allot of dirt to find a diamond.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240

That looks really nice. I am getting ready to make one also, using some old 20" crow foot rollers. I also may design it to allow towing in addition to a 3 pt. hitch. I would think towing it may allow it to follow contours better than if it was attached to the hitch. It would be easy to add a tongue. The 3 pt. hitch sure is better for loading on a trailer or transporting down a road or between foodplots. WHat do you guys thing about towing vs. a 3 pt. as far as effectiveness?? Does it matter??

Just curious, what is the dealer going to sell these for?

Tractor
    Kubota L3240 GST

Nice.. What size is the shaft? 1 1/2 or larger... Also what type 4 flange bearings did you use and why not pillow block bearings?

I hopefully will be making on soon and was wondering why the difference in "factory" packers with pillow block vs 4 flange bearings...

Last question.. With the 7ft wide do you think it would be good to add a center bearing or is that shaft fine and no sagging?

AndyG
    Lets work in the solution and not in the problem...

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 5075E Cab

I've actually been looking for one of these. Where are you located, how much do they sell for?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 3000

Are they "homemade" if you put a company name on them and sell them wholesale?

Tractor
    JD 3320 eHydro w/ 300CX Loader

Quote Originally Posted by Agrantina View Post
    Nice.. What size is the shaft? 1 1/2 or larger... Also what type 4 flange bearings did you use and why not pillow block bearings?

I hopefully will be making on soon and was wondering why the difference in "factory" packers with pillow block vs 4 flange bearings...

Last question.. With the 7ft wide do you think it would be good to add a center bearing or is that shaft fine and no sagging?

AndyG
    My dunham packer is liely from back in the 50's....its over 7' wide and the shaft is still true. The shaft diameter is going to determine its ability here...but if its solid I think it's good to go.

On the bearings....I think the flange bearings are lower cost and easier aligned.

As far as bearings on a cultipacker go.....the "wheels" all turn independantly on the shaft and the shaft turns sometimes on the packer I have. Its free....but the wheels tend to roll on the shaft about as much as the shaft spins IMO. I doubt that the bearing type matters much unless your pulling it ALLOT.
    3320 eHydro, 300CX Loader & 15 + great attachments

You gotta mine allot of dirt to find a diamond.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Deere 4320 & Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by premierindustries View Post
    Thought I would post some pictures of my latest build.
    Any comments and advice is appreciated.
    We just built two of these for the local John deere dealer.
    Frame width 7'
    Total weight 500 lbs.
    I-Match compatible.
    I wish I had some photos of the build, but all I have is the finished product.
    Looks like very high quality build. Extremely nice welds. How much to have one shipped to PA?
    How much to ship the parts and I'll weld and build, as a option?
    regards,
    Steve

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7200 Hst

VERY NICE BUILD, Ive been looking at building one or two, Those dang packer wheels are not cheap, 10.00 bucks plus shiping, Gets pretty pricey, I think those wheels are the smallest they make? Can you share where you got those packer wheels, Thanks Eric

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast