Homemade Cultipacker

/ Homemade Cultipacker #21  
Hey - where'd the OP's 1st post go?

/ Homemade Cultipacker #22  
What country cast your rollers? Ken Sweet

I was lucky enough to find some good cast wheels and bought and paid for them this morning.. :) Not sure the width or weight of each wheel but have looke at newer ones (china) and they are just not as heavy as the older USA made wheels. Weight it a real good thing in a cultipacker..

Whats the advantage with smooth vs the notched wheels? With a rottotiller and the way it turns soil into dust I feel like the smooth are way better..

AndyG

/ Homemade Cultipacker #25  
As far as a pull type cultipacker goes, if you want it reansportable by wheel, I coppied a design off of the small quad implements and built wheels on top of the frame. To cultipack you pulled as normal then when it is time to transport lift the toung and flip it over then the wheels pick it up and u can pull it down the road. It works well IMO. this was a 6 foot not sure it would be as easy to flip were it larger or double roller. The guy who got it from me loves it.

I am actuallly without right now, when I get them rebuilt they usually dont stay around long.

/ Homemade Cultipacker #26  
I restored the post but removed the phone number.

/ Homemade Cultipacker #27  
Wow, there sure are a lot of responses to this post and I love the interest.

Here is some more information on this build.

Packer wheels are shimmed and secured with split locking collars on both of the bearing ends. ( to keep wheels snug and secure from sliding on the axle )

On this particular model pictured I used 2 bolt flange bearing over pillow block bearings for the simple fact I feel they are better supported for side load.
( when the shaft is pulled sideways from the bearing )

I also think the flange bearing is better protected from rocks by being enclosed it the frame. ( this also captivates the axle and keeps it from sliding out of the framework if the setscrews would ever loosen up )

The packer wheels are also placed behind the main tube to give it a " better " pulling action. ( this also keeps the roller from tipping over when unhooked )

We also use use a solid 1 3/4" grade 1045 cold rolled axle.

I was raised on a dairy farm and I know first hand about all the potential problems when it comes to machinery.

So my theory is this, build all potential problems " out " of the machine so they can be avoided all together.

If anyone is interested in purchasing one, I would be more than happy to help make it possible.

I can ship common carrier to anywhere in the continental USA.

We also have other widths available.

Please let me know if anyone has any other questions.
Regards.

Tom

Hey Tom, Can you help us out on where to get the packer wheels, and How you like em, us made?? Thanks Eric

/ Homemade Cultipacker #28  
Hey Tom, Can you help us out on where to get the packer wheels, and How you like em, us made?? Thanks Eric

I think Agri Supply has the Chinese wheels for $7 or $8. We get $25 each for used USA cast packer wheels. Maybe Tom will tell us where his are made? Ken Sweet

/ Homemade Cultipacker
I would like to just make a couple of things clear on this thread.

My original intention of this thread was to show the finished product and how it was designed.

It turned into a " advertisement for business " when I left my phone number for people to contact me.

The original post was removed and then reinstated after I spoke with the site administrator ( Muhammad ) and he explained the guidelines to me and removed my contact information.

I was not aware this was against the forum rules and regulations and I apologize if it offended anybody.

Anyway with that being the case, I still put plenty of information into this post as far as ideas, my theories, and ways to build them if anybody wants to build there own.
( As far as shaft size and material and bearing information )

As far as where to get the packing wheels, I can't help you guys out on that, the John Deere dealer supplied them and I didn't ask where he got them from.

I can ask him on Monday if I see him.

In the mean time, maybe Ken Sweet can tell us his source for the American made wheels ??
Tom

Last edited:
   / Homemade Cultipacker
I talked to the John Deere dealer today, and he told me he got the packing wheels directly from Brillion.

Part number 5C284 list price is $24.40 each.

He is also a Brillion dealer and I think they also picked up the wheels from the Brillion foundry to save on shipping costs.

I'm sure he also gets the wheels at dealer pricing.

The wheels were cast in Brillion Wisconsin USA.

He also told me Brillion sold the Ag line out to Landoll back in November, but not the foundry. ( I don't know if this will affect future pricing )

Tom