Page 1 of 28 123411 ... LastLast

Default Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son

I got the idea when I first saw an older Struck dozer on ebay. It was a little pricey and I didn't care much for the look. I always liked early 1900s Caterpillar dozers and with the birth of my son, I decided to build a scale version for him to ride around on. My dad always gave me awesome stuff like powerwheels, gokarts, snowmobiles etc. So I want to do the same for my son.

I've been working on the design since probably September and actual building since December.

My design is loosely based off of this.

I'm not building an exact replica. I don't want to spend years building it. And the biggest exception is the use of rubber tracks. Reasons being metal would take me longer to make and it would also tear up my yard and driveway. This drawing still needs some work but it was enough to get me started and see how everything was going to fit together.

I bought a mower real cheap that had Eaton hydrostatic transmissions. And another mower that had a 12.5hp B&S engine. Took everything apart a few months ago to start designing around them.

Here's the start of the build.

I have some more pictures but that is all for now.

Tractor
    L2250 Kubota

Default Re: Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son

Your project looks very interesting, as long as you stay out of the easy chair in picture #3. Make sure the seat is large enough for you to take the crawler out for a SAFETY TEST ( hint hint).
    I built a model Case 450B Crawler . I only did the under carriage with elecric drive ( scale 1" to 12" ??).
    It is sitting under my bench. I bought 1/2" double pitch chain and made all the grousers.

I then moved to larger toys, 26HP kubota.

Craig Clayton

Tractor
    Mahindra 2015 HST-- Snapper 1650, Snapper 1438

Welcome. I am looking foward to your build and nothing like Dad and son interaction with these kind of ''tools''. . John
    If ya don't do it when ya get to it, ya may never get to it to do it again

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Deere

Welcome!

This sounds like a very interesting build

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Your son will most certainly get a kick out of it. BTW, Welcome aboard.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Tractor
    2008 T2220

Awesome.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

Tractor
    Ford 3930 Allis Chalmers B

Great project for sure!!
    [Interesting that EMD was bought awhile back by Caterpillar Co.. But I do not want to hijack whats going to be a great thread.]
    Ford 3930 FEL,Gill roll over scraper,Hankbilt pulveriser, 3pt fold over disk,PH auger, Hankbilt 3pt log splitter,blade,6"bushog,plow,boompole, Hankbilt subsoiler,72" ratchetrake 1949 Allis Chalmers B [ Its earned its retirement and goes to parades/shows when its owner has time/energy ] Growing old ain't for sissies !

Tractor
    Carolina Clearing, LLC

Awesome!!!!!

I plan on building something similar in the future for my son.

Silver Member
    Approved Advertiser

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTROAD View Post
    Awesome!!!!!

I plan on building something similar in the future for my son.
    Wait until he's a little older and build it WITH him. I built projects with each of my two boys. Both projects started with some rusty wheels and tires. We made as many of the components as we could. Bought almost nothing. Both turned out great (boys did too!) You'll learn a lot about your boys and have great times that you'll miss when they're grown.

They enjoyed the building far more than the actual toy. They can do a lot and learn a lot at 6 years old! My first rule was "I don't work on it unless you do!" Imagine a 6 year old rolling out of bed at 6:00 on Saturday morning with "Daddy, lets go work!

At that age they still think Dad's the smartest guy in the world. (In 10 more years you will have become the dumbest.)

You can't imagine their pride and satisfaction when it's finally done. Make sure you have somewhere to store the thing for the next 30 years. You'll never be allowed nor want to get rid of it, but they'll never have a place to put it. Maybe if I ever have some Grand kids...

We built lots of things as they got older, but there's no comparison to that first real project.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Clayton View Post
    Your project looks very interesting, as long as you stay out of the easy chair in picture #3. Make sure the seat is large enough for you to take the crawler out for a SAFETY TEST ( hint hint).
    I built a model Case 450B Crawler . I only did the under carriage with elecric drive ( scale 1" to 12" ??).
    It is sitting under my bench. I bought 1/2" double pitch chain and made all the grousers.

I then moved to larger toys, 26HP kubota.

Craig Clayton
    any pictures of it Chris? I love Case equipment!

Id like to build a crawler once i finish these other projects i have going on. hopefully sometime towards the end of the year i can get started

Page 1 of 28 123411 ... LastLast