Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son
Very nice Emdtrain dude. Would enjoy seeing a little of your shop and the machines your using. Looks like you have some above average stuff and the skills to boot.

Maybe somebody could explain,,,, I thought I understood how this drive system works but after his last pics, I'm not so sure now.

I thought the tranny he was using was from a zero turn, which is a hydro type of drive, no ?
And being hydro drive, I figured it would have 2 small shafts /w levers to control forward and reverse on the 2 drive wheel axles, no ?

But in his latest pics, it looks as if he's going to be moving idler pulleys around ?

You were correct at first. I see now that my picture can be confusing because I'm working with very tight spaces. The idlers you see are attached to the frame, not the linkage. The linkage runs to the transmissions just like you though which moves the internal valves for forward and reverse.

And I've collected some machines over the past several years that does make this a little easier. Here's a pic. All self taught though. That's why I build stuff like this; so I can get better and make something fun in the process.

SAM_0569.jpg

SAM_0572.jpg

Not knowing your son, but having seen what kids do, will there be a way to make sure he doesn't get off the seat while it's moving? I'm worried about his feet on those tracks, and getting them pulled down while it's going.
Eddie

I mentioned some of this in an earlier post. With having the seat kill switch and with the handles returning to center, if he gets up, the engine will cut out and the transmissions will come to a stop. And with the running boards, I should be covered. Like anything, this stuff is dangerous but I do spend a lot of time thinking about it. As mentioned before, I also plan to pin the throttle when he is on it to keep the speed less that 1 mph. Another reason for building a bulldozer instead of something else; they are meant to go slow.

just a thought....but since it is for kiddy use, how bout some kill switch's like under the seat when the weights not on the seat it kills the machine...and maybe something to keep his hands and feet busy too...

I'm also planning on a kill switch behind the seat so in case I see something wrong I can run up to it and kill it that way as well.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #22  
I mentioned some of this in an earlier post. With having the seat kill switch and with the handles returning to center, if he gets up, the engine will cut out and the transmissions will come to a stop. And with the running boards, I should be covered. Like anything, this stuff is dangerous but I do spend a lot of time thinking about it. As mentioned before, I also plan to pin the throttle when he is on it to keep the speed less that 1 mph. Another reason for building a bulldozer instead of something else; they are meant to go slow.

I'm also planning on a kill switch behind the seat so in case I see something wrong I can run up to it and kill it that way as well.

Some go carts have a wireless kill switch. I don't know how it works, but think that every second counts if something go wrong.

I looked at your drawing of the running boards and thought they should work, but wasn't sure how far out they would go or how much space between them and the tracks there was.

It's a great project. Thanks for the updates.

Eddie

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #23  
Emdtrainguy said:
It wouldn't be "build it yourself" if I just bought one. What fun would that be?.

I was actually replying to someone else but my point was those mini dozers would be a good base for customizing into something similar. They have all the parts sourced already and their fairly cheap used.

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #24  
Some go carts have a wireless kill switch. I don't know how it works, but think that every second counts if something go wrong.
I would use something like this: Bybyte Single Channel Code Learning Wireless Remote Switch Car PC Carputer | eBay
+ goes to switched power from the keyswitch
- goes to ground and the common terminal on the connection strip
NO (Normally Open) goes to the kill wire on the motor.
NC (Normally Closed) is unused.
Push the button on the remote and the NO contact is closed, that grounds out the coil and shuts off the engine.
Put it in a plastic box somewhere where it isnt blocked by metal (or hang the antenna out) and you should see a 50ish foot range.

I have the 4 channel version in my wife's van and for my car (needs to be installed) to provide remote lock/unlock for both cars with just one remote.

Aaron Z

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #25  
My mother spent many an Hr on the 22 Cat plowing fields, and I spent many an hour setting on one playing as a young boy,
my mother said the worst thing about the machine was the sand and dirt that was tossed up by the tracks and rained down on one all day long,
she is 90 and still at times talks about run the Cat,
I still have the manual that came with her dads 22 Cat,

Thanks for the story,

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son
I would use something like this: Bybyte Single Channel Code Learning Wireless Remote Switch Car PC Carputer | eBay
+ goes to switched power from the keyswitch
- goes to ground and the common terminal on the connection strip
NO (Normally Open) goes to the kill wire on the motor.
NC (Normally Closed) is unused.
Push the button on the remote and the NO contact is closed, that grounds out the coil and shuts off the engine.
Put it in a plastic box somewhere where it isnt blocked by metal (or hang the antenna out) and you should see a 50ish foot range.

I have the 4 channel version in my wife's van and for my car (needs to be installed) to provide remote lock/unlock for both cars with just one remote.

Aaron Z

I like that. Sold. Thanks for the link and info.

Moving a long a little slower. At least the way it looks. Been doing a lot of small stuff and jumping between different things.

Made a battery hold down and a negative frame post. Also mounting the starter solenoid. I wanted to try and start the engine (which I mounted the other day but no pictures).

SAM_0703copy.jpg

SAM_0704copy.jpg

Since the engine was used, I wanted to make sure it ran. I got it from a guy down the street from my brother. He said it ran. Well, it didn't.

SAM_0705copy.jpg

A magnet had fallen off and jammed in the coil. So I'm waiting to hear back if the guy can give me more parts. My plan is to also order the belt and pulley so I can turn the transmissions too. I was able to run that mower that they came from before I took it apart but I still want to be able to run it sooner than later before I get too far. I'll just mount the wheels and tires and put a big caster wheel on front and run it around my driveway. Having used parts makes me nervous and think that I should have just spent the extra money to buy new. Oh well.
So in the meantime, I felt like working on some sheet metal. I made a test fuel tank (little narrower than it will be). I used 14 gauge. It's not exact but it's close enough for who it's for.

SAM_0701copy.jpg

SAM_0702copy.jpg

SAM_0708copy.jpg

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #27  
Isn't layout fun ? :thumbsup:

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #28  
I got the idea when I first saw an older Struck dozer on ebay. It was a little pricey and I didn't care much for the look. I always liked early 1900s Caterpillar dozers and with the birth of my son, I decided to build a scale version for him to ride around on. My dad always gave me awesome stuff like powerwheels, gokarts, snowmobiles etc. So I want to do the same for my son.

I've been working on the design since probably September and actual building since December.

My design is loosely based off of this.
NOR55154.jpg

Wow! I almost cried when I saw that. It was my old man's second tractor and I spent many hours working a stump farm in N. Idaho when I was in HS.

It had an oddity. Unless one checked it reguarly, the Number 1 plug would work loose somehow. The cover over the plugs made checking it rather hit and miss. It blew out once when I tried to start it and apparently blew all the oil out of they cylinder - froze up solid. We finally got it freed up with a long bar. Didn't seem to have hurt it any.

Harry K

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #29  
I love these mini dozer builds! Nice work, tagging along!

/ Scale Cat Twenty Two Dozer Ride On For My Son #30  
Wow! I wish i have a Dad that build me stuff. LOL

That's awesome though that you are thinking about how to pass on something your Dad did for you. It's a great way to come into this world knowing that your Dad will always Love you and will always be there, Not many of us are fortunate enough to experience Life this way.

It's funny though, most People / Dad only think about themself. Nevermind about their Children... But I think you found Life Mr., and Bravo to you!

Good Luck to You and your Son Mr. And hope there are many happiness hours together... I hope you will continue this Thread for all of us to follow!

Thanks for sharing!