Car Axles used for Utility Trailers

/ Car Axles used for Utility Trailers #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Andy, I made a small one from a boat trailer ,does that count?
I was at a yard sale and this fella was selling it for $40 so I put it in the back of my truck and carried it home, bought a little angle and some pressure treat and voila... )</font>

That's a cool little trailer, nasty135!

/ Car Axles used for Utility Trailers #12  
About 34 years ago when money was tight raising a family, I wanted a trailer to tow an old VW dune buggy to the desert. A friend gave me a pair of VW bus front spindles, hubs with drums and an old VW bug rear torsion member. I use a piece of 2” square ¼ wall tubing between the two hubs. I just clamped the tube in a vice and leveled it with a carpenter’s level. I, drilled holes to line up with the lower hole in the hub and used a big bolt to put the two together. Because the axle was level in the vice, I use the lever to level the rim vertical to the tube (after adjusting for rim run out), and measured and adjusted the tow in. When everything was perfect, I started the old buzz box welder and glued the spindle to the tube. I then cut gussets and welded them upright along the sides of the hub. I widened the torsion tube to line up with the gussets that I had drilled to match the torsion plates and put a piece of tubing between the torsion member to make it wide enough for the axle. I made new mount plates for the ends of the torsion member and bolted the torsion member to the sides of a couple of landing mats that were scrapped from the local military field. I welded a ¼ by 5 inch piece of metal to the landing mat on the outside edge. I used a section of Pontiac frame rail across the landing mat to form the front cross member and a piece of 3 inch pipe as a tongue with a gusset on each side and on top. I used another 3 inch pipe for the rear cross member. I used a piece of pipe from the axle on one side to the trailer on the other side as a sway bar. Never got around to put shocks on it and was always going to put a surge brake setup on it, just never got around to doing it. It worked great to haul the buggy.

As time went on, I built a second axle and torsion member to make it a tandem trailer. It is now over 34 years old, has a million miles on it, and has been from Canada to the tip of Baja, from San Diego to New York more than once. I have hauled buggies, garden tractors, pickups, my minivan, corvette, my CJ5 Jeep, building materials (sand, rock, cement) and on one occasion, crossed the scale at the dump with over 6000 pounds of tree stumps. (See attachment). The trailer is in my back yard now with over 4800 hundred pounds of vinyl fencing on it.

This might not be the most heavy duty trailer and I don’t recommend overloading one like it for long trips. I drive very cautiously when it is overloaded but have never felt it to be dangerous in any way unless it was the stopping power with a heavy overload. It is totally quiet behind the tow vehicle, and normally, you can not feel it behind you. In fact, I make a wide light bar so I could see it behind my motorhome so I would know “where it was”.

I have built several using the front spindles from cars/trucks to match the tow vehicle for friends. I bolt the spindle to the square tube to line up the camber and toe in and use it up side down for a lot of axle drop or right side up for a high clearance trailer. It works great for me and the torsion suspension setup works great. I built one three axle trailer using the VW bus rear torsion tube for some guys that had an off road race truck along with the 1 ton front truck spindles and a surge brake system.. They love it.

Sorry for the long post, but though it might be interesting.

Attachments

• 404521-Trailer-Loaded-With-Tree-De.jpg
    404521-Trailer-Loaded-With-Tree-De.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,520
   / Car Axles used for Utility Trailers
Good 'ole German technology. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Those were the days when they were putting out A1 precision made products.

Don't know about VW running gear but I had an old International pickup "I" beam that had 5/8in ball bearings on a race. Hauled a load of cement sidewalk chunks with the 4 X 8 trailer and it didn't even flinch.

Your story emphasizes caution in building. I do the same
with mixing bolts and welds, can never know when a piece or worse, part of the running gear, will tear off and hit a kid in the car behind you.

/ Car Axles used for Utility Trailers
Did you notice any increase in gas consumption with the old Datsun pickup differential.? It would seem working the gearing in the axle would put a dent in the gas mileage.

But I suppose a small truck like that wouldn't be that noticable. Pulling a 1 ton differential would make a difference. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Car Axles used for Utility Trailers #15  
Hi
sounds like a nice setup I would like to see some pic's of the axles. I have a few parts I would like to turn into small trailers for yard work. and could use some Idea's. My brother built a nice tilt trailer from a k car rear axle he used it to transport a riding lawn mower.

Charlie.

/ Car Axles used for Utility Trailers #16  
LWFrisk, is that tall green tree growing out of the stuff on the trailer is is it just in the yard behind?!?! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Peter

/ Car Axles used for Utility Trailers #17  
Peter

That is a three year old Chinaberry in the front yard. Now that you mention it, it sort of looks like it was growing in the trailer. That load of stumps came from a Champhor tree that was growing into the sewer the pipe so it had to be removed. The trailer was loaded an hour before the photo was taken, went to the dump the next morning.

Leo

Attachments

• 404781-Camphor-Tree-Down-2.jpg
    404781-Camphor-Tree-Down-2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 812
   / Car Axles used for Utility Trailers #18  
Towing a trailer with a semi float axle is like having an older pickup with full time four wheel drive. Those gears turning in the gear oil put a lot of drag on the driveline. Actually, it robs a lot of gas mileage. For a local, around the farm, or just a trip now and then, it is fine. IF you get a 3/4 ton, cut out the center and make some caps to replace the axles with, and weld a pipe section in the center, that makes a pretty good axle that you can fill with oil if you want. But, if I had a truck I could cut in two, I would just cut it in two, weld a hitch on, and start using it. If I was building a trailer from scratch, I would not try to adapt an auto rear end under it, I would find or weld up some type of axle.

/ Car Axles used for Utility Trailers #19  
When I was done with my Ranger parts truck I cut the frame under the cab. Pinched the rails together and bolted the coupling on. I put a hole through the frame rail for the safety chain. It rolls very easily and tows beautifully. The only issue is the balance is very neutral so you have to be careful to get sufficient tongue weight.

/ Car Axles used for Utility Trailers #20  
I built a trailer for riding the grandkids around the woods. I used the rear suspension from an old Saab 99. I made the rails out of treated 6X6's and the rest from Hemlock. It held up for about 20 years and when the hemlock started to rot, I ripped it off, the rails were still fine and just rebuilt it about 3 years ago. It's good for another 20 years.