Multi-Purpose Rear Ballast Project

/ Multi-Purpose Rear Ballast Project #31  
It does look great and should work well also.

Maybe I overlooked it, but I did not see any mesh or rebars as you were pouring the mud. I would have used both plus considered the fiber reenforced concrete as well for something that is going to be handled and knocked about as this is likely to be.

Good luck and hope the concrete holds together (the steel part certainly should!)

Rip

/ Multi-Purpose Rear Ballast Project #32  
Hey Guys:

I aws at a auction today. there was an old MF there and had a 55 gallon plastic barrel on back filled about 42" high with concrete and cut level to that height. it was round so the lift arms and corners were not a problem. weight I'm sure there was more than enough ballast to keep most tractors planted so firmly it would be hard ot get them moving! lol

anyhow it was a neat idea.

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Multi-Purpose Rear Ballast Project #33  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm not sure how long I should let this cure before I try to pick it up with my 3-point. )</font>

Concrete will typically gain about 70% of its strength in about 7 days. While it keeps on getting stronger for quite a while, most of the curing occurs in the first 28 days. The big thing is to keep it wet and cool.

Concrete gets its strength as the cement hydrates, that takes water. So wet curing concrete is usually a good idea. The hydration is a chemical reaction that gives off heat, so keeping it cool is also a good idea, a sprinkler hose will work well for both.

Very nice welds, very clean. Using gas or lots of grinding?

Looks to me like you will have pleanty of weight. Looks like it will stay low to the ground too.

I think my little Kubota would just look at that thing and grunt. Probably as the front wheels came off the ground.

good luck.

/ Multi-Purpose Rear Ballast Project #35  
What's the verdict? G

/ Multi-Purpose Rear Ballast Project #36  
very very nice!!!!! a true work of art!!!!!! ru going to paint that cement blue!!!???and lets see it !!!!up in the air!!!!

TODD /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Multi-Purpose Rear Ballast Project #37  
Very nice! I ought to consider getting something like that built before the concrete trucks arrive for the new floor in the barn. I'm not sure how much weight I'd need for my JD 4200 so if anyone knows or knows where I can find out, please feel free to let me know. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Multi-Purpose Rear Ballast Project #38  
<font color="blue">I'm not sure how much weight I'd need for my JD 4200 so if anyone knows or knows where I can find out, please feel free to let me know. Thanks </font>

Gary,

Glad to see you "back" at tbn.

Try your FEL or tractor manaul, they usually say how much ballast to use.

I built mine for 75-80% of the 3pt capacity. That was more than NH recommended I needed for the FEL.