Multi-Purpose Rear Ballast Project

/ Multi-Purpose Rear Ballast Project
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( By golly that should keep your tractor's rear tires on terra firma. It llooks like about a 2' cube. If that's the case, it should tip the scales at around 1200 pounds. Nice welding............chim )</font>

chim, your pretty close, it is 24" by 24" by 20.5" tall. I don't remember what that calculates out at but I know thats is exactly what I thought I needed at the time I designed it.

As far as keeping the rear tires on the ground, I hope it does. It is amazing how much more lifting power my FEL has when I have adequate rear ballast. When I don't have enough rear ballast my FEL starts to lighten up the rear of the tractor instead of putting all of that force into the load on the FEL, if that makes any sense.

/ Multi-Purpose Rear Ballast Project #22  
Spencer NICE welding!. looks really good but ya got some of dat dare cement on you reciever hitches on top and some leaked out the sides too! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif it's a same you welded that there up so nice and then covered 90% of it in concrete! lol...

I would think it is going to be more than enough to work out the 3pt lift... also if you bang you're shins on it blame RONR for pointing it out! lol.

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I couldn't wait any longer. I had to hook it up to the 3-point to see if it would fit. I didn't actually pick it up with the 3-point, I want to let it cure more before I do that. I moved it right on the pallet with my FEL. I could only lift the pallet off the ground about 4" but that was enough to reposition it in a location where I could back up to it with the 3-point.

So here is the picture of it all hooked up.

Attachments

• 434795-First_Time.jpg
    434795-First_Time.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,291
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Looks Great.

If it were mine, I'd all the time be catching my shins on the drawbar pins!

)</font>

Ron, as you can see from this picture, I don't think I could have had the pins in much further (or made the ballast wider).

You can also notice that it was a good thing that I eased those corners of the concrete. If I had left the box square then the corner of the concrete would just be hitting my 3-point lift arms.

I'm not going to pat myself on the back just yet, but so far so good.

Attachments

• 434798-Corner_Arm.jpg
    434798-Corner_Arm.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,093
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Spencer NICE welding!. looks really good but ya got some of dat dare cement on you reciever hitches on top and some leaked out the sides too! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif it's a same you welded that there up so nice and then covered 90% of it in concrete! lol...

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

Spiker, I was thinking the same thing as I was pouring that first batch of concrete. I already cleaned it up a little bit this morning. I think it will be fine after some more cleaning and another paint job.

/ Multi-Purpose Rear Ballast Project #26  
Spencer, only one more question . . . <font color="blue"> DID THEY RUN OUT OF BLUE DYE AT THE LOCAL CONCRETE SUPPIER? </font>

/ Multi-Purpose Rear Ballast Project #27  
Nice welds! Can I ask what welding process you used?

/ Multi-Purpose Rear Ballast Project #28  
Very nice design, and a teriffic job of construction -- welding and concrete.
Just beautiful.

Cliff

/ Multi-Purpose Rear Ballast Project #29  
Very good job. Your welds look fantastic.

/ Multi-Purpose Rear Ballast Project #30  
Nice work Spencer,

Makes me want to get the welder fired up again, along with the weldor... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif