tree planter

/ tree planter #1  

Cord

Veteran Member
Tractor
Resident Architect
Has anybody ever built a tree planter? We are hoping to buy some acreage and want to see some trees started. I found a couple on-line, but they are more commercial than what we were hoping for.

/ tree planter #2  
Someone posted on a home made tree planter made from cut large pipe, not sure who posted it but it was not too long ago. It worked pretty good according to the maker.
Farwell

/ tree planter #3  
Cord, your profile doesn't say where you live, but you might check with your state's conservation groups. My bro-in-law signed up to have trees planted on his property. He WAS required to plant trees that the state wanted, and he had to pay for a fence to protect the trees from animals, but the state paid for part of the deal.

They furnished the tree planter, which had a barrier material laydown feature. It really worked slick.

I don't think it would be tough to build something like they used, if you had a toolbar to start with.

Ron

/ tree planter #4  
How many trees do you plan to plant?

/ tree planter #5  
I posted some back in the spring of the one I made, This is the only pic I can find right now but will go take more of it.
Bob

Attachments

• 754856-untitled.bmp
    87.9 KB · Views: 870
   / tree planter #6  
Not sure how many or what size you have in mind. For seedlings your ag man should have what you need and possibly help with costs for shelterbelt or tree farm if you're planting over pasture. For cutover, a crew will come out and plant for you for around $70/ac. Ask about FIP (Forestry Incentive Program) and EQUIP (Env Quality Impr Plan)
If you're talking potted fruit or nut trees, etc, an auger with 24 or 36" bit is normallyused.

/ tree planter #7  
have you tried a shovel. he he he

/ tree planter #8  
I like the OLD Gravelys...I can dig a sapling sized hole in four seconds with the rotary plow pointing straight dowm.Plus you're gonna have to mow around them.Down where you're at,you outta be able find one at a very reasonable price.Those OLD two wheelers compliment a compact or a real tractor very nicely.Posted a pic of my favorite.1963 LI

Attachments

• 756007-LI2.jpg
    756007-LI2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 655
   / tree planter
Well, looks like I'm guilty of not maintaining my own thread! We'd like to plant around 70 acres of mixed pines. We don't want the trees to be in row, instead favoring a more random planting. The trees will be planted in a open tilled field but they are at the most a foot high. Our idea was plant the trees using my little tractor and a pull behind implement that would open and close the ground. I forgot all about the state run programs. I remember them virtually giving away trees and bushes. I wonder if they would rent the transplanter too. The general concept was to declair most of the property a tree farm for tax purposes and then at a later date plant a house in the middle of it. We are located in SE Wisconsin.

Yes, I have used the Gravely before with a rotary plow for planting trees. Works pretty well, but it's too slow for this project.