Creating a simplified Landscape Rake

/ Creating a simplified Landscape Rake #11  
Eddie, one more thought for you. I don't know what size tractor you have, but I the photo show my 6' rake mounted on a Kubuta B2910 (30hp). I also use it on a NH TC24D (24hp). Both of those are small tractors. If you are using it on a tactor larger than 25hp, consider making a bigger rake for your jobs.
EddieWalker said:
My roads are a minimum of 30 feet wide to as much as 50 feet wide. Then there's the debris under the trees that I'd like to clean up.
It strikes me that a 6' rake is small for your roads. If you are running 30hp or more, go up to a 7' or 8 foot rake without hesitation.

Also, I think many people think of a rake as a light duty tool. Please do yourself a favor and don't skrimp on the steel structure. These rakes can be amazingly versitile tools, they can endure a lot of torque stress if you build it heavy enough. Entend your toplink and it can be used to aggressively tear up the soil and it does a great job of smoothing dirt/clay paths, shorten the toplink and you skim across the grass but gather the debris that is in the lawn. I found that a hydraulic toplink makes life easier and makes the rake more useful, but it also taught me that the rake is more useful than I originally thought it would be.

/ Creating a simplified Landscape Rake #12  
Eddie, be careful of how you build your rake. Of course it makes a big difference what your pulling it with. If you are going to be using a little bigger tractor, I suggest that you build it heavy duty. Especially when you will be using it a lot of the time.

I bought a Midwest 8' rake myself and proceeded to twist and bend the channel iron that it was made of into a pretzel.:( So I rebuilt it with some heavier metal. I got new channel to hold the tines and welded that to a 4"x7"x 3/8" wall tube. I have had no bending since the rebuild.:) Here's a picture of it just after I was done with it, and I had the whole thing powder-coated.;)

Brian

Attachments

• P5270011.JPG
    P5270011.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 3,562
   / Creating a simplified Landscape Rake #13  
MtnViewRanch said:
Eddie, be careful of how you build your rake. Of course it makes a big difference what your pulling it with. If you are going to be using a little bigger tractor, I suggest that you build it heavy duty. Especially when you will be using it a lot of the time.

I bought a Midwest 8' rake myself and proceeded to twist and bend the channel iron that it was made of into a pretzel.:( So I rebuilt it with some heavier metal. I got new channel to hold the tines and welded that to a 4"x7"x 3/8" wall tube. I have had no bending since the rebuild.:) Here's a picture of it just after I was done with it, and I had the whole thing powder-coated.;)

Brian

Brian powder-coating a rake huh, very nice idea. You sure beefed that rake up some.

/ Creating a simplified Landscape Rake #14  
Mike, thanks for the comments. It was something that I had to do. Like Bob said, a lot of torque can be applied. I too was amazed at how versatile a landscape rake can be. It just has to be built to take the load that it's given.;)

Brian

/ Creating a simplified Landscape Rake #15  
I made a light rake a few years ago out of some hay rake tines and a piece of 2 X 2 X .25 sq, tubing, and pivets on a 2nd piece of tubing that will slide in to a hitch I have for my tractor. The rake works great for sticks and I even use it to dehatch my lawn and works great for driveway maintenance. Total cost about $50.00. The rake is light duty and does not work good for large stones or logs, but then again the last time I looked I don't have any large stones or logs in my yard or drive way, so I guess it must have gotten them all out. :D

/ Creating a simplified Landscape Rake
I picked up some steel today for the rake. One stick of 5X3 angle iron and one flat stick of 3/8X2 for $91. I bought 50 grade five 7/16 inch and a half bolts, nuts, lock washers, a new half inch bit and a pair of pins for $39.

The first picture shows the basic frame.

The second picture shows the hole drilling nightmare I have to deal with.

Eddie

Attachments

• Tractor Rake 001 (Small).jpg
    Tractor Rake 001 (Small).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 4,544
  • Tractor Rake 002 (Small).jpg
    Tractor Rake 002 (Small).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 3,801
   / Creating a simplified Landscape Rake #17  
Eddie.....looks like you'll be wanting a Drill Doctor !

/ Creating a simplified Landscape Rake
I have one, but I'm not very satisfied with it. I still prefer to use the fine wheel on my grinder and eye ball it. I drilled ten holes with the new bit yesterday and plan to drill a minimum of ten holes a day. I hate drilling, but know it won't get done on it's own. hahahaha

25 tines with two holes each means I'll be at it for another four days.

Eddie

/ Creating a simplified Landscape Rake #19  
Eddy do you draw out a set of plans before you build something or is it all in your head. I tend the draw out my plans and measurements on paper 1st. I'm just curious

/ Creating a simplified Landscape Rake #20  
EddieWalker said:
The second picture shows the hole drilling nightmare I have to deal with.

if there ever was a job that needed this tool!

B00004TI1J.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1116632895_.jpg

might almost be worth $40 at the local rental center