Creating a simplified Landscape Rake

/ Creating a simplified Landscape Rake #21  
Eddie, I used to know a machinist who went "nuts" the first time he saw me using oil to drill with. He yelled at me to get some cutting fluid instead. I've never forgotten what he said, "Oil is for lubrication and cutting fluid is for cooling." I don't know if he was right, but I have a bottle of cutting fluid I use on anything heavier than sheet metal. I'm always afraid he'll yell at me again.:eek:

/ Creating a simplified Landscape Rake #22  
schmism said:
if there ever was a job that needed this tool!
might almost be worth $40 at the local rental center

Yeah .... thinking back on building my 80" rake I think there was around 80 or so holes .... can't imagine having to drill them without some kind of drill press.

/ Creating a simplified Landscape Rake #23  
Hey Mad... can you post a close-up of your gage wheel setup? Especially the up and down adjustment. I need to make one for my BB and for my landscape rake. Yours look very functional. Thanks.

/ Creating a simplified Landscape Rake
Timber,
I like to draw things out. I'm a constant planner and I realy enjoy figureing out all the details on anything I do before I start. For this, I used my Home Design program and pretend the walls are lengths of steel. It gives me the lengths I know, and then I can easily see the lengths I don't know like the angle pieces.
Then I use it for my materials list for shopping.

Schmism,
A friend back in California has one of those magnet drill press's. He uses it for drilling frames on big rig trucks, and I've been known to borrow it from time to time. Your right, it's exactly what I need, and I think about how much I want one with every hole I drill.

I did my ten holes yesterday, and that was just as painful as I expected. hahaha

Jim,
Thanks for reminding me there is a difference between oil and cutting oil. I'm going to the feed store this morning and I'll see if he has cutting oil. I'd heard the same thing, but forgot all about it.

Eddie

/ Creating a simplified Landscape Rake #25  
You can actualy use water in place of cutting oil to keep the metal cool. Just use a little spray bottle

/ Creating a simplified Landscape Rake #26  
Cutting fluid is an emulsion of oil and water - at least for steel cutting.

Here is a related article:

Cutting Fluids

Eddie, are you drilling it in one shot or do you predrill first? I have a floor drill press, one of the best tools I ever bought and I would still go in two steps to drill all those holes.

Also the drill press gives you the slow speed you need - unlike hand drill with two preset gear speeds.

I rained 3/4 of an inch yesterday and another quarter inch today, so it was a good time to work on my rake.

I had finished drilling the 50 holes awhile ago, to that nightmare is over.

Today I cut some triangles to brace my corners and finished my welding on the flat part of the rake. Then I cut and bent some 3/8 x 2 inch flat stock for the top parts.

I had to figure out the angles and lengths, so I cheated and copied my other impliments to cut down on brain stress.

I even swept the floor and put my welder away!!!

First picture is of the rake on it's edge so I can weld the sides and put in the triangle braces.

Second picture is of one of the triangle braces.

Third picture is of the top mount for the three point attachment. To get the upright pieces lined up, I had to weld in a cross brace. This turned out to be a bit on the high side, so I had to notch it to fit the long pieces together.

Fourth picture is of the rake all welded together. I just have to finish drilling the holes for the three point attachments and then paint.

Eddie

Attachments

• Tractor Rake 003 (Small).jpg
    Tractor Rake 003 (Small).jpg
    67 KB · Views: 2,211
  • Tractor Rake 014 (Small).jpg
    Tractor Rake 014 (Small).jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,881
  • Tractor Rake 008 (Small).jpg
    Tractor Rake 008 (Small).jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,892
  • Tractor Rake 017 (Small).jpg
    Tractor Rake 017 (Small).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 2,426
It's all together and even painted.

The tines look to have a good space between them, but I'll have to use it to know for sure. They are on 3 inch centers.

I need to finish draging and smoothing around my lake tomorrow, then plant some grass seed. When that's done, I'll put the rake on my little tractor and see if it works.

Eddie

Attachments

• Tractor Rake 020 (Small).jpg
    Tractor Rake 020 (Small).jpg
    71 KB · Views: 2,272
  • Tractor Rake 021 (Small).jpg
    Tractor Rake 021 (Small).jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 2,427
   / Creating a simplified Landscape Rake #30  
Looks good. You sure do go through some hydraulic fluid don't you.

Thomas