Weld black pipe or galvanized

/ Weld black pipe or galvanized #11  
workinallthetime said:
... home brew good lookin weld now lets see ya weld 2 of those beer cans together,lol

:D :D :D ... I've been trying figure that beer can pipeline out for many years ;)

/ Weld black pipe or galvanized #12  
Fumes from welding galvanized just plain ain't good for the average fellow. :(

I know there are some it does not affect but that's just a few of the "Tough Fellows".:confused:

/ Weld black pipe or galvanized #13  
For what its worth, I read a technical report on welding zinc which appeared very scientific, sorry can't remember the source. But it debunked the myth that welding galv is "poisonous". Essentially it said that the fumes are as I recall zinc oxide, the same stuff you put on your nose to prevent sunburns.

Now, can it make you sick to your stomach ? Yes, which is why its not a good idea to weld it I don't think unless you're in open air. And I can't comment on the effectiveness of the old welder's cure, which is drinking milk.

Please don't anyone flame me. I am not vouching for the accuracy of the report. Just passing it on as a point of interest since I hear the stories all the time about it being a poison which appears to be an old wives tale (probably because indeed people DO get sick over it, just not "poisoned" confusing sickness with poisoning). I personally have never welded on zinc, but after reading the report would not be the least bit concerned about doing so solely from any concern of getting poisoned, as opposed to the other issues raised in this thread. I'm sure you could find the report if you searched the web.

Bob

/ Weld black pipe or galvanized #14  
Egon said:
Fumes from welding galvanized just plain ain't good for the average fellow. :(
I know there are some it does not affect but that's just a few of the "Tough Fellows".:confused:

You are right Egon. I know better than to assume every dumbas$ would think to open their 16' garage door and turn their 24" fan on to weld anything inside ... like I did. It was (PLUS) 50°F last night and the breeze from the fan felt good as well as blowing the fumes on to my neighbor's land :eek:
I'd like to meet some of those fellers you know that aren't affected by fumes and buy them a drink :)

/ Weld black pipe or galvanized #15  
If you are buying new pipe, the uncoated variety is cheaper and has a smoother surface than black, assuming your supplier keeps it indoors. Here is the description from my supplier:

Schedule 40 Standard Wall (22)

Available in Black Tested (Plain end or Threaded & Coupled), or Uncoated/Untested (Plain Ends)

/ Weld black pipe or galvanized #16  
Homebrew,put a lace overtop of that and take another picture,,,,thingy

/ Weld black pipe or galvanized #17  
thingy said:
Homebrew,put a lace overtop of that and take another picture,,,,thingy

Yeeehhhh, I know. Not trying to compete, just trying to ... I have no idea what I'm trying to do ... fortunately, I get all MY work done :)
Enjoy your posts thingy ... learned a few things :)

/ Weld black pipe or galvanized #18  
No man,,you are pretty good with them rods,looks like 6010?Thats the way a 6010 is supposed to look like,,clean too,no splatter,,,,thats my favorite rod. Welding beer cans together,that ain't no big deal with a tig torch,wouldn't work to good with 6010 though,,,I know if you had all the beer cans I've drained welded together they would probably reach from w.va. to Cal.,[well] they'd be in ohio by now for sure,,,thingy

/ Weld black pipe or galvanized #19  
bcarwell said:
For what its worth, I read a technical report on welding zinc which appeared very scientific, sorry can't remember the source. But it debunked the myth that welding galv is "poisonous". Essentially it said that the fumes are as I recall zinc oxide, the same stuff you put on your nose to prevent sunburns.

Now, can it make you sick to your stomach ? Yes, which is why its not a good idea to weld it I don't think unless you're in open air. And I can't comment on the effectiveness of the old welder's cure, which is drinking milk.

Please don't anyone flame me. I am not vouching for the accuracy of the report. Just passing it on as a point of interest since I hear the stories all the time about it being a poison which appears to be an old wives tale (probably because indeed people DO get sick over it, just not "poisoned" confusing sickness with poisoning). I personally have never welded on zinc, but after reading the report would not be the least bit concerned about doing so solely from any concern of getting poisoned, as opposed to the other issues raised in this thread. I'm sure you could find the report if you searched the web.

Bob

Tell that to Paw Paw, he died from it. Shop Safety III : A Case Study : Zinc Metal Fume Fever - anvilfire iForge Demo

/ Weld black pipe or galvanized #20  
thingy said:
No man,,you are pretty good with them rods,looks like 6010?Thats the way a 6010 is supposed to look like,,clean too,no splatter,,,,thats my favorite rod. Welding beer cans together,that ain't no big deal with a tig torch,wouldn't work to good with 6010 though,,,I know if you had all the beer cans I've drained welded together they would probably reach from w.va. to Cal.,[well] they'd be in ohio by now for sure,,,thingy

Cheers, man! You're very kind.
Only 6011 here, no DC rig for 6010.
It's a deal, I'll meet ya in Ohio :)