Weld black pipe or galvanized

/ Weld black pipe or galvanized #1  

Jimbrown

Veteran Member
Tractor
KIOTI LK30
I need to weld some pieces of pipe ( 1 1/4in) to some angle iron as holders. Should I use black pipe or galvanized? I know galvanized gives off poisonous gas. But which is easier /better? Or does it just not matter.

/ Weld black pipe or galvanized #2  
If the angle iron is not galvanized use black pipe. Much safer too, less fumes, less headaches.

/ Weld black pipe or galvanized #3  
use black pipe, make sure all the pipe is clean and oil free

/ Weld black pipe or galvanized #4  
I would just use black pipe. If it's going to be outside stuff your making and want the galvanized protection you could paint it with a cold galvanizing paint after your done making them.

/ Weld black pipe or galvanized #5  
Around here, I see our utility company PGE (pacific gas and electric) fabricate gas manifolds all the time using galvanized stuff. The stuff is normally welded outdoors using gas equipment. Since I don't weld, I can't comment on anything other than this observation.

/ Weld black pipe or galvanized #6  
Ask anybody who does any amount of welding ,and they will tell you,
galvinized steel is great,unless you have to weld it.Then its just a pain in the butt.Even if you grind or sand the coating off,its actually still there,only to a lesser amount.Makes a real mess.If you do decide to use galvinized,i would
suggest using a mig welder.But its still a pain.If it were me,i'd just use black
pipe and then paint it,besides,galvinized is more $$$ than black.At least it is around here.

digger2

/ Weld black pipe or galvanized #7  
Black is easy. If you have a choice, use it.
I have a mixture of both stockpiled that I got cheap so, I use what fits the mood I'm in. Galv is NOT a pain to weld ... but it is slightly "different". When you get it too hot it bubbles and excretes a neat yellow crap. As you noted, try not to breathe.
If you use galv and don't use cold-galv paint (that stuf is COOL) cuz you want a diff color (as I do), wipe it with Miracle Water Stan Remover (hydrofluoric acid ... another bad hombre) ... it etches so good, paint sticks like a bad girl on a rich dude.

/ Weld black pipe or galvanized #8  
Jimbrown said:
I need to weld some pieces of pipe ( 1 1/4in) to some angle iron as holders. Should I use black pipe or galvanized? I know galvanized gives off poisonous gas. But which is easier /better? Or does it just not matter.

Matters a lot! You didn't say how experienced a weldor you might be, but if you really needed to ask the question, don't even consider galvanized.

Use black pipe. Clean the joint area of all oil and scale. Wire brush the area down to bright, shiny steel - especally if you're going to use MIG or stick weld with something like a 6013 or 7014 rod. You might get by without quite so much cleaning with a high penetration rod like 6010 or 6011 but clean metal is still better.

/ Weld black pipe or galvanized #9  
Jeez, attached is a pic of an old 2" galv el welded to some old, rusty, angle (15 minutes ago). 90A, 6010 (AC), 10 beers and no patience for "you have to follow 'these' rules to get anything done!
Cheers :)

Attachments

• P2080074a.jpg
    P2080074a.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 774
   / Weld black pipe or galvanized #10  
I spent a total of 5 years building fence, we welded on everything. A little commons sense is all thats needed. We built a baseball park that took 1 year to build all the diamonds and fab all the backstops together on site using a p.o.s. stick welder on gal. Turn it up and watch it burn, 15 years later they are all still standing, no broken welds and look great. The back stops had a 10 foot overhang and the 9 gage wire is atached to the underside so they are holding some serious weight. as for the black of gal whatever is cheepest and available as long as your kids arent going to be chewing on it,lol.

home brew good lookin weld now lets see ya weld 2 of those beer cans together,lol