Compact Tractor 101 - Help Please

/ Compact Tractor 101 - Help Please #1  

TractorMBA

Hello everyone,

I'm a 24 year old graduate student in Texas and I'm currently working on marketing research project (paper) in regard to small tractors. I was originally trying to write a paper about automobile industry; however, the professor said it would be too easy...so somehow "we" compromised on the small tractor sector as a topic for my research. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against compact tractors but "I'm Tractor Dumb". In order to be able to come up with a really good paper I need to talk to you guys - the target market for small tractors - and hear your opinions about the tractor market.

I was wandering if some of you could answer me the following question:

Based on your opinion, what is the key indicator when purchasing compact
(20 - 180hp) tractor?

Would that be
1) Price / Value Proposition
2) Country of Origin
3) Ease of Operation
4) Dealer Location / Service / Aftermarket Parts Availability
5) Warranty & Reliability

Thank you guys for reading this and any feedback that you provide me with will be greatly appreciated! I certainly hope this is the right section to post this in....:)

EDIT: The use of a tractor is not specified. It can be smaller unit used for garden / yard work, or larger tractor for commercial / agriculture work (up to 180hp).

Last edited:
   / Compact Tractor 101 - Help Please #2  
Many factors go into the compact tractor buying decision. I think that most prospective buyers spend more time researching a tractor purchase than an automobile purchase. My $0.02 follows:

Key indicators (in order of importance) after selecting the type of compact tractor and it's configuration are.

1 - Repair and servicing support.
2 - Reliability in the long term. Warranties only cover a couple of years and we expect our tractors to work problem-free for many years.
3 - Price.

Other factors like availability of accessories, ease of operation, etc are important to a lesser degree.

Lou Braun

/ Compact Tractor 101 - Help Please #3  
this is the right place
For me dealer/customer interface, service and reliability.
Although I would say compact stops at 50hp.

/ Compact Tractor 101 - Help Please
6sunset6 said:
this is the right place
For me dealer/customer interface, service and reliability.
Although I would say compact stops at 50hp.

You're right I should have clarified it in my post I'm researching 20-180horsepower range so it is a broad spectrum indeed... with "compact" tractors covering the lower end of the range. But I appreciate your feedback, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you!:)

/ Compact Tractor 101 - Help Please #5  
You'll get 20 answers with 20 different opinions of why we buy. Nontheless, I'll start with my opinion and someone else can beg to differ with their opinion.

Anyone considering a CUT must first carefully consider what they are going to use the tractor for. The intended use will most likely dictate the size of the tractor and the attachments needed for the intended use. One should speak with a few dealers regarding their needs and get the perspectives from dealers and what their tractors will do for the individuals needs. Keeping in mind that each individual is different and price will figure into the equation at some point, hopefully early on. Now, with the intended uses and the amount of money the individual wants to spend determined this information will aid the dealer in pointing the individual to an appropriate tractor. some individuals visit too many dealers and do themselves more harm than good, at some point with too many dealers there becomes information overload and the product lines begin to blur. Each considered unit should be test driven, while it would be hard to make a wrong decision with one of the big manufacturers, an individual has to like the unit and feel comfortable with the tractor, and ergonomics is a big part of the purchase. After an appropriate sampling of units is selected for review it would be appropriate for an individual to discuss the purchase with others who have used the same units, in a place such as this, to determine real world useage. I believe, and have had others disagree with me on this point, that when narrowing the decision down, while price was one of the initial decision components, the dealer in the end makes a difference in what is purchased, as it would be extremely frustrating to purchase a $15,000 unit and have a tempestuous or argumentative relationship.

But then, this is more than you were asking. My simple ranking or your quesion would be as follows, in my opinion (this should start the fur flying):

2 Origin, since most of the units I would consider are Japanese made, as opposed to Korean or chinease
3 Ease of Operation since this is a component of what I am looking for in the use of a tractor
1 Price/Value since I only have so much to spend on a purchase and must fit the price to the functions (ease of operation) I am trying to complete
4 Dealer, good relationship combined with ease of parts purchase and ability to get the unit serviced
5 Warranty, while warranty is important I have found that most warranties are generally the same, so while important, if the majority of warranties are equal then I would rate this a lagging as opposed to a leading indicator.

Best wishes

BizDoc said:
You'll get 20 answers with 20 different opinions of why we buy. Nontheless, I'll start with my opinion and someone else can beg to differ with their opinion.

Anyone considering a CUT must first carefully consider what they are going to use the tractor for. The intended use will most likely dictate the size of the tractor and the attachments needed for the intended use. One should speak with a few dealers regarding their needs and get the perspectives from dealers and what their tractors will do for the individuals needs. Keeping in mind that each individual is different and price will figure into the equation at some point, hopefully early on. Now, with the intended uses and the amount of money the individual wants to spend determined this information will aid the dealer in pointing the individual to an appropriate tractor. some individuals visit too many dealers and do themselves more harm than good, at some point with too many dealers there becomes information overload and the product lines begin to blur. Each considered unit should be test driven, while it would be hard to make a wrong decision with one of the big manufacturers, an individual has to like the unit and feel comfortable with the tractor, and ergonomics is a big part of the purchase. After an appropriate sampling of units is selected for review it would be appropriate for an individual to discuss the purchase with others who have used the same units, in a place such as this, to determine real world useage. I believe, and have had others disagree with me on this point, that when narrowing the decision down, while price was one of the initial decision components, the dealer in the end makes a difference in what is purchased, as it would be extremely frustrating to purchase a $15,000 unit and have a tempestuous or argumentative relationship.

But then, this is more than you were asking. My simple ranking or your quesion would be as follows, in my opinion (this should start the fur flying):

2 Origin, since most of the units I would consider are Japanese made, as opposed to Korean or chinease
3 Ease of Operation since this is a component of what I am looking for in the use of a tractor
1 Price/Value since I only have so much to spend on a purchase and must fit the price to the functions (ease of operation) I am trying to complete
4 Dealer, good relationship combined with ease of parts purchase and ability to get the unit serviced
5 Warranty, while warranty is important I have found that most warranties are generally the same, so while important, if the majority of warranties are equal then I would rate this a lagging as opposed to a leading indicator.

Best wishes

No, this is perfect thanks a bunch!!!

I understand where you are coming from and thanks again for the feedback this is what I'm after.

/ Compact Tractor 101 - Help Please #7  
research paper, huh? well, if you say so....

Good luck sorting all this out. Not like we're the biker crowd and all wear black and orange and talk about "loud pipes". We're the misfits, the ones who can't have neighbors, the ones who live off the land; or maybe we are the ones who drive our Hummers down blacktopped drives to our gated McMansions?? Good luck, I don't think you'll draw any real conclusions from this research, but you will certainly hear some interesting BS

Tractor buying is about image. "I've arrived and I can dig a bigger whole than you"

Tractor buying is about effecincy. "I can mow my lawn faster than you"

Tractor buying is about smarts. "I don't have to use my back to lift" anymore

Tractor buying, is like dating: you want the "whole package".
- cost is secondary
- physical attraction HAS to be there; compatability is a must
- country of origin doesn't matter, as long as she speaks my language
- when I push her buttons, she darn well better respond

Just like for a car, the brand, the dealer, the service and the parts must be there or any rational man would say "no deal"

Sorry for any and all misinformation :eek:

/ Compact Tractor 101 - Help Please #8  
One of the issues you have not detailed is your target market. This is going to make a huge difference in the responses. I.E. I have some acreage and need a tractor to brush hog and do some work on it. If my tractor were to break down that would be an inconvenience but nothing more than an inconvenience. For me price is going to be one of the most if not the most important consideration. For someone that makes a living with their tractor. Reliability and dealer service is going to be the most important issue because of the consequences of doing without the tractor.

gemini5362 said:
One of the issues you have not detailed is your target market. This is going to make a huge difference in the responses. I.E. I have some acreage and need a tractor to brush hog and do some work on it. If my tractor were to break down that would be an inconvenience but nothing more than an inconvenience. For me price is going to be one of the most if not the most important consideration. For someone that makes a living with their tractor. Reliability and dealer service is going to be the most important issue because of the consequences of doing without the tractor.

You're right; however, how can I definy target audience for 20 - 180hp tractors? What I'm after at the moment is more value curve for the users / operators / buyers. Of course it would make it easier for me if you could answer my question from the original post in each of these 4 tractor categories (as specified by the paper):
20-40hp
40-70hp
70-120hp
120-180hp

However, I might be asking little too much there, so I just took "realistic" approach and asked the members on here for general feedback in 20-180hp range.

Nonetheless, thank you for your input and if anyone else wants to elaborate on the buying decisions in the particular hp outputs listed above feel free :)

And of course any feedback in general is appreciated! Thanks guys!

/ Compact Tractor 101 - Help Please #10  
To me, preparing a marketing plan for 20 HP to 180 HP tractors would be like preparing a marketing plan for Chevrolets to Ferraris. Other than both are cars (tractors), they are essentially unrelated.