Compact Tractor 101 - Help Please

/ Compact Tractor 101 - Help Please #21  
20-35 Hp was my target. 27 hp is what I bought.

1) Price / Value Proposition
2) Warranty & Reliability
3) Financing package... uhhh.... zero % interest
4) Dealer Location / Service / Aftermarket Parts Availability
5) Ease of Operation
6) Country of Origin - Did NOT care about this at all

/ Compact Tractor 101 - Help Please #23  
TractorMBA said:
Hello everyone,

I'm a 24 year old graduate student in Texas and I'm currently working on marketing research project (paper) in regard to small tractors. I was originally trying to write a paper about automobile industry; however, the professor said it would be too easy...so somehow "we" compromised on the small tractor sector as a topic for my research. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against compact tractors but "I'm Tractor Dumb". In order to be able to come up with a really good paper I need to talk to you guys - the target market for small tractors - and hear your opinions about the tractor market.

I was wandering if some of you could answer me the following question:

Based on your opinion, what is the key indicator when purchasing compact
(20 - 180hp) tractor?

Would that be
1) Price / Value Proposition
2) Country of Origin
3) Ease of Operation
4) Dealer Location / Service / Aftermarket Parts Availability
5) Warranty & Reliability

Thank you guys for reading this and any feedback that you provide me with will be greatly appreciated! I certainly hope this is the right section to post this in....:)

EDIT: The use of a tractor is not specified. It can be smaller unit used for garden / yard work, or larger tractor for commercial / agriculture work (up to 180hp).

You sound much like our college-age son, just had to give you an answer.

Ended up with a 30 HP Kubota. Factors in the decision:

1 - Dealer - There was only one choice for me. They have been in business for a thousand years, still the same family, we've known them that long. Trust them completely.

2 - Ease of operation - had to be a cab rather than an open station model - allergies and operating in the heat were the main reasons - hydrostatic transmission was a must, also

3 - Price - would have made other arrangements for tractor work (mainly mowing) if the price had not been reasonable

4 - Origin and Warranty went hand-in-hand. Didn't want an Indian or Chinese brand, and made a broad assumption that the American and Japanese brands would have a respectable, competitive warranty

Best of luck to you. Let us know when you get an "A" in your class!

/ Compact Tractor 101 - Help Please
Compact1 said:
TractorMBA,

You need to read the following thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/buying-pricing-comparisons/107571-what-makes-you-buy.html

I think you will find a lot of usefull information.

Thanks for the link that's a good read!

Also, going back and re-reading some of my previous posts I would like to clarify one thing: English is my second language. Therefore, there are / will be some inconsistencies with my sentence structure or English grammar. I'm sorry about that. I'm from the Czech Republic - the land of Zetors :) - so if you'd like to post in Czech or Slovakia or Polish feel free.

Hope this helps and keep 'em coming!!!

/ Compact Tractor 101 - Help Please #25  
TractorMBA said:
if you'd like to post in Czech or Slovakia or Polish feel free.

Smart and funny, too. You'll go far!

/ Compact Tractor 101 - Help Please #26  
The choice for me was based upon specific needs versus the most economical means to meet those needs.

I needed a tractor with a minimum FEL capabilility, an HST, and was small enough to easily trailer.

Also, the special features available on some models swung me to a specific brand(HST style and capability, front axle configuration). I think that if you would query some of the respondents, special features would have been a consideration(for example, the ability to use a mid mount mower with a backhoe frame attached, whether a cab could be mounted, etc.).

The tractor HP was specified from the above criteria(hp and lift are highly correlated amoung different brands).

I purchased used.

The country of origin doesn't matter, as much as the manufacturer reputation. The people who are indicating that the country of orign matters are more likely to be voting for manufacturers that have been demonstrated to be reliable(machine and dealer wise)in the US.

Note that there aren't any real US manufacturers(that I know of) for compacts or smaller, which is a shame, and will likely change in the near future.

So,

1) price/value(really features)
2) company reliability
3) reviews on line.

chris

/ Compact Tractor 101 - Help Please
Thank you guys, anyone else wants to share their feedback?

:D

/ Compact Tractor 101 - Help Please #28  
I purchased a new L2800 in September of 2005 from a dealer which was not the most convenient. In fact, I had to pass other Kubota dealers in order to get to Tipton International, but this guy has a reputation of taking care of his customers.

My first criteria was a Kubota tractor. Nothing else would do. They have a reputation of being workhorses, and I knew that this was what I wanted. The 2800 (28hp) was secondary. As this was my first tractor, I figured that the tractor would suffice for a long time. It did everything I asked of it, and never failed me. Well, it did once, but the dealer came to my home and picked it up on his dime. One of their selling points was "we will pick up and deliver for free."

Price was comparable to other brands that are on the market, but price was not key. Depandibility and servicibility were the main points.

But, as with most things, you soon begin to see that there are jobs that the lower end (hp wise that is) cannot do. Trading up to the 47hp was an easy decision as the extra heft was needed for mowing, and more especially moving of the large round bales for my horses.

/ Compact Tractor 101 - Help Please #30  
range 30-35 hp got 45

1) dealer (I got pushed kioti due to the other 3 brands being down right rude, it was not a functon of purchace it was a lack of intrest in selling. I had told the massy dealer i needed a quote for these specific parts/attachments. he told me come back in a fiew hours. got back and he was at lunch and the other guy refused to give me the quote untill he got back 30+min from then. I had already told them of the time constrains we were under. after expressing my frustration he then said well we could fax it to you when he gets back. it was insulting being treated like that. the other dealers were not much better. The owner of the kioti was a jolly ol fellow and was not there to bs you)
2) required features due to my wifes asma it would be impossible for her to work the tractor if it was open station which pushed me to 45 and reliability which the kioti seem to be quite the bruiser.
3) ease we were stuck with what we got. i am tall so not much fits me anyways which im used to. kioti doesnt have hst cabs yet so it was geared. somthing to learn but may not be a bad thing.

4)price
5) origin had nothing to do with it. if you tried to buy all american or all mexican or .... you would end up with a mess some things a country just doesnt do right no matter how hard it tries. you go by the specific product's reliability