What buy 2wd vs 4wd

/ What buy 2wd vs 4wd #21  
I have a 50 HP 4 WD with FEL and it does OK pulling a bushhog in 2WD as long as I dont try to turn sharp and climb a hill at the same time, then the tires will spin out even if it is dry on grass. I never thought I would need a 4 WD till I got this one and I bought it on recommendation that 4WD was required with a FEL. They are absolutely right. With a FEL,you are almost required to have a 4WD just to get around. I also would never buy a tractor to use with a FEL with a direct drive gear. My shuttleshift is great with the 12forward/4reverse shift on the go transmission. I have never had a HST but I would think that would be similar in performance.

/ What buy 2wd vs 4wd #22  
I am a big advocate of 4wd for loader use, however in this case I think the much larger 2wd is a far better option than a mini 4wd. The bigger tractor will easily let you haul two bales at a time. Pick up one with a 3 pt spear, then grab a second one with the loader spear. The little 4wd will not safely handle a single bale by the sound of things. If you were looking to move a lot of dirt it would be another story, but 4wd is seldom much of an advantage on a hayfield. If you were doing a lot of tillage, then again, 2wd is a poor choice because they use about 20% more fuel to do the same work on account of the energy that is lost pushing the "dead" axle thru the soft ground. If all you got to do is a little "light disking" then this is also insignificant. I move a lot of dirt and do a lot of tillage so I could never get by with just a 2wd. I do have a few 2wd's and they are real handy in the hayfields.

/ What buy 2wd vs 4wd
Actually, the Kubota 4wd has a stronger 3pt and the loader is nearly as strong as the larger tractor. Really the only advantage to the NH is that i has more PTO horsepower and is heavier. But it is alot more HP, 50% more.

I think either would do what I need, but the Kubota is a nicer machine. I've heard a few folks really favoring 4wd which makes me think the 4wd machine would have better resale later. I'm leaning strongly toward Kubota and L3240. Although I still haven't decided between the slightly used HST and the new shuttle shift DT machine.

I've never used HST, but some folks seem to think it is better. Again, probably pushes the resale up there another 1k or so.

Bob

/ What buy 2wd vs 4wd #24  

I've never used HST, but some folks seem to think it is better. Again, probably pushes the resale up there another 1k or so.

Bob

Comparing HST to gears is like a hand crank Model T to a hummer.

One of the biggest things is anybody can jump on a kubota hst and in a few minutes be productive. That's good in itself but it's great at resale time.

jb

/ What buy 2wd vs 4wd #25  
I think I'd keep looking for something that's a little more ideal for your use, I don't see these as being right. If I had a loader on it I'd only want a 4wd tractor. Put that heavy loader bucket out front and it takes a lot of weight off the rear tires, even empty. My 4wd massey 471 spins the rear tires pretty quick in 2wd when I'm bush hogging, if I take the loader off it'll get a lot better traction in 2wd but I don't drop the loader very often (never). You're pretty much limited to half the function of the loader with a 2wd tractor, it's pretty frustrating trying to pick up something with the back tires spinning. On the other hand, the TT60 is a lot more tractor than the little L3240's. You're basically talking a real ag tractor vs. a homeowner style compact utility. If I had 65 acres I'd want a real ag tractor especially when it comes to moving hay and bush hogging on a regular basis. In a tractor I value simplicity above most else, more bells and whistles aren't usually good, just more junk to break. I wouldn't give you two squirts for HST on a tractor you're going to use around a farm, they're nice on the little tractors for mowing the lawn and moving piles of manure but for real work give me gears. Have you considered buying used? A few hundred hours on an ag tractor is nothing and you can save some decent money if you are in the right place at the right time. I found a couple of low hour 4wd ag tractors in the 45-50 HP range on tractorhouse that would probably be in the same price range as what you're looking at. One doesn't have a loader but if you add it it'll probably be about the price you're looking at. I'd recommend finding something better suited to your needs that what you're looking at.

2005 NEW HOLLAND TN60A 40 HP to 99 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com

2003 MASSEY-FERGUSON 451 40 HP to 99 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com

/ What buy 2wd vs 4wd #26  
But you forget, Chris is big enough that he just gets off the tractor and picks it up out of any mud and carries it to terra firma. I heard that one time he got so angry that he threw the NH in his picture up onto the top of his barn! :eek:

My old days of competitive lifting are long since gone. Heck, I even broke down a few years ago and bought a forklift. No more acting like a human forklift for me. I think that ended about 2 or 3 surgeries ago. :eek:

Heck.. it's almost as tall as the barn is!. Seriously though.. I've went through some bad 'tank traps' with that 7610s. It's tires are simply soo tall that even going thru 2' deep goo that I don't high center.. the fronts tend to plow at anything deeper than a foot.. but there are enough 'nads' under the hood, and plenty of traction with diffy lock that the front don't really matter and she walks right thru.. though, in general.. i like to avoid wet spots.

i think If i got her stuck.. I'd be in trouble... she weighs more than my truck.. plus she will have a sizeable mower behind her .

soundguy

/ What buy 2wd vs 4wd #27  
Actually, the Kubota 4wd has a stronger 3pt and the loader is nearly as strong as the larger tractor. Really the only advantage to the NH is that i has more PTO horsepower and is heavier. But it is alot more HP, 50% more.

I think either would do what I need, but the Kubota is a nicer machine. I've heard a few folks really favoring 4wd which makes me think the 4wd machine would have better resale later. I'm leaning strongly toward Kubota and L3240. Although I still haven't decided between the slightly used HST and the new shuttle shift DT machine.

Bob

For some of us.. who don't need specific features.. like 4wd or a reversing trans ( things a loader operator would want ).. we get more value out of our tractor by having more hp and or weight. IE.. for the same price my 2wd machine is big enough to pull a 15' mower.. if I had bought 4wd.. it wouldn't have had the hp needed to pull that size mower.. for the same money... Choice was clear.

Resale? Some of us actually keep our tractors! ;) I don't have that 'new car every 2 years ' mentality!

soundguy

/ What buy 2wd vs 4wd #28  
Here's my 2 cents... If mowing along with hauling and lifting large hay bales around are the main purpose for the tractor. In my opinion the choice would be the NH. If you are going to use the tractor for other purposes such as moving dirt. Then I would get a larger tractor like the NH with MFWD. :) But regardless of what you purchase... remember to post pictures... we like pictures. :D

/ What buy 2wd vs 4wd #29  
TarHeel tractor in NC has NH TT60A's on sale for $15,263... Pretty sweet deal!

mark

/ What buy 2wd vs 4wd #30  
For some of us.. who don't need specific features.. like 4wd or a reversing trans ( things a loader operator would want ).. we get more value out of our tractor by having more hp and or weight. IE.. for the same price my 2wd machine is big enough to pull a 15' mower.. if I had bought 4wd.. it wouldn't have had the hp needed to pull that size mower.. for the same money... Choice was clear.

Resale? Some of us actually keep our tractors! ;) I don't have that 'new car every 2 years ' mentality!

soundguy

I agree Chris. Resale is a line the JD crowd uses to not feel so bad about over paying for green and yellow paint.

I am another who does not have the new every 2 year disease. New Paint fever has put alot of people in the poor house, so unless you put 10,000 hours on every 2 years, why bother worrying about resale.