FEL, CUT and ballast box

/ FEL, CUT and ballast box #1  

4runner

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 322, JD 4110
I have my eye on a used CUT at a dealer. It was used for mowing, and the dealer swapped out the mower and put a loader on it. Tires are not loaded.

Here's my question. Should I expect that a used tractor with a fel should come with a ballast box as part of the package (no additional charge) for ballast? It seems to me that without loaded tires/ballast, a small CUT can be quite tippy. (I know everything is negotiable, I'm just not sure of the standard configuration).

/ FEL, CUT and ballast box #3  
I have my eye on a used CUT at a dealer. It was used for mowing, and the dealer swapped out the mower and put a loader on it. Tires are not loaded.

Here's my question.
* Should I expect that a used tractor with a fel should come with a ballast box as part of the package (no additional charge) for ballast? It seems to me that without loaded tires/ballast, a small CUT can be quite tippy. (I know everything is negotiable, I'm just not sure of the standard configuration).
*Ballast Boxes loaded tires wheel weights and other weights/ballast is not standard equipment on new tractors so why would you expect an owner of a used tractor to supply you with that on a used tractor > ?
I don't think it's fair to expect a seller of a used tractor to furnish you something free of charge that he would have to have paid a dealer for.
The dealer is not giving him the item free so why should he have to pay the dealer for it and then turn around and give it to you free?

L . B .

/ FEL, CUT and ballast box #4  
The dealer I bought from had a policy to provide loaded tires or ballast box to a tractor sold with a loader. I've loaded tires but also need at least about 300# on the 3ph if doing any kind of heavy lifting. The loaded tires are enough with light mulch or lighter in the FEL. A ballast box is about the most compact form of putting weight back there.

All you gotta do is experience one or both rear wheels leaving the ground when you lift the loader and get some skid marks on your seat to be more careful.

Ralph

/ FEL, CUT and ballast box
I can see the logic that a ballast box/or loaded tires would be an add on price. That is was I was thinking all along. Then last night I thought I would confirm my thought and ask for opinions.

/ FEL, CUT and ballast box #6  
4runner:

I would definitely load the tires and forego the ballast box for a heavy boxblade. Jay

/ FEL, CUT and ballast box #7  
4runner:

I would definitely load the tires and forego the ballast box for a heavy boxblade. Jay

I'm with Jay - A well made box blade makes for a nice counterweight that's relatively compact, and useful too. My 6' Befco weighs 530#. Loaded tire work well too.

Since it's a DEALER that you're looking to purchase from, not a private individual (as some have indicated), there may be wiggle room on the price to either include a ballast box, or get a screaming deal on either the box, or a box-blade.

It does not hurt to ask. If the dealer wants to move the iron, he/she may be willing to work with you...

Good luck!

Lunk

/ FEL, CUT and ballast box #8  
I have a smaller cut b2620 and I have loaded tires and usually keep my 500lb Box Blade on the back for heavy FEL work. I have also used my rake for lighter FEL loads which only gives me about 250 lbs of ballast and I have been fine this way as well, but as mentioned this is also w/ loaded r4's which is also giving me roughly and additional 270 lbs. of ballast. So as others mentioned proper ballast is a must. Try to work a deal w/ the dealer to get a good box blade for a good price and then you can get good ballast as Jay mentioned plus get a very useful implement.

/ FEL, CUT and ballast box #9  
"Expect", no. "Desire", sure! "Ask", absolutly!!

I'm also with the others that a well made box blade is good balast. It is also useful as all get out for moving the stuff the loader was just picking up.

If you have rocks or hard clay soils, don't waste your money on a light duty box. You WILL be disappointed. Anything at or under 100 pounds per foot width, is too light for tough soil conditions. Medium duty is in the 130-150 pound/foot. Heavy duty is 175-200/ft range.

General rule of thumb, is for ground engaging attachments, more weight makes them work better. Also makes them last longer and typically means they are higher quality. Sadly, it also makes them cost more!

/ FEL, CUT and ballast box #10  

Here's my question. Should I expect that a used tractor with a fel should come with a ballast box as part of the package (no additional charge) for ballast? It seems to me that without loaded tires/ballast, a small CUT can be quite tippy. (I know everything is negotiable, I'm just not sure of the standard configuration).

No.. as standard equipment I would not expect a tractor to come with anything not already on it.

now.. if you are talking package deal.. start negotiating.

Some people prefer an implement ont he rear like a heavy box blade to counterballance a laoder.. some prefer a weight tub.. etc..

soundguy