Newbie buying first tractor - need help

/ Newbie buying first tractor - need help #1  

landsurv

Tractor
TYM 433
Howdy from Texas guys and/or gals. Been lurking for a few days on this website and am amazed (and overwhelmed) at the wealth of info here. I am beginning the process of research to purchase a tractor to be used for residential purposes mainly. We have 10 acres, about 2 in lawn/yard, rest in woods w/ a 1/2 acre pond.

Need the tractor for brush-hogging in woods,trails and around pond and for landscaping projects. Also hope to be able to remove some stumps. I will not be mowing with it, as I have an Exmark for that. I will probably by trailering the tractor to brother in laws for brush-hogging, etc. also.

Got the go-ahead from the boss yesterday, so I'm ready to get serious. I have been looking at the different tractor websites, but have only visited one dealership(Kubota) which turned out to be unexpectedly closed, but I got out and sat in a few, kicked tires, etc.

The L2800/L3400 seemed to be about the size I might be looking for, but I don't know. The BX series seemed a bit small.

Any thoughts, recommendations for size tractor I might need. As far as the brand goes, I'm not married to the Kubota's, just have seen a lot of them around here for years. Other dealers nearby are John Deere, New Holland. I'm hoping to stay around/under 20K.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any thoughts, comments, questions.

/ Newbie buying first tractor - need help #2  
Check out the Mahindra 2516 and 2816. Both are available in gear and hydrostatic transmission models. They are buildt in Japan by Mitsubishi, and reliability is rock solid.

/ Newbie buying first tractor - need help #3  
Welcome to the site.

Don

/ Newbie buying first tractor - need help #4  
Howdy from Texas guys and/or gals. Been lurking for a few days on this website and am amazed (and overwhelmed) at the wealth of info here. I am beginning the process of research to purchase a tractor to be used for residential purposes mainly. We have 10 acres, about 2 in lawn/yard, rest in woods w/ a 1/2 acre pond.

Need the tractor for brush-hogging in woods,trails and around pond and for landscaping projects. Also hope to be able to remove some stumps. I will not be mowing with it, as I have an Exmark for that. I will probably by trailering the tractor to brother in laws for brush-hogging, etc. also.

Got the go-ahead from the boss yesterday, so I'm ready to get serious. I have been looking at the different tractor websites, but have only visited one dealership(Kubota) which turned out to be unexpectedly closed, but I got out and sat in a few, kicked tires, etc.

The L2800/L3400 seemed to be about the size I might be looking for, but I don't know. The BX series seemed a bit small.

Any thoughts, recommendations for size tractor I might need. As far as the brand goes, I'm not married to the Kubota's, just have seen a lot of them around here for years. Other dealers nearby are John Deere, New Holland. I'm hoping to stay around/under 20K.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any thoughts, comments, questions.

Welcome to the scrum.

You've outlined the classic new buyer conundrum: want/need a tractor for both field/woods work as well as landscaping.

BX-size tractors are fine for both on a 10-acre place. My first tractor was a new 21 hp (engine) Kubota B7510HST (4WD) with the LA302 FEL (4-ft bucket). I mowed the weeds on my 10 acre place (flat pasture land) with a 4-ft King Kutter brush hog. It took 5-6 hours for 1-2 ft weeds and 10-11 hours for 3-4 ft weeds. I traded the 7510 last March for a Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 2WD, gear tranny) with the ML250 FEL (6-ft bucket). I mow now with a 6-ft Hawkline brush hog and the job takes about 4-5 hours. Plan to put 7 acres into hay so the 5525 is my go-to tractor for discing and baling.

I used that 7510 to install new landscaping around my place. It was great for plowing the ground with a middle buster and rototilling with my used Yanmar RS1200 (4-ft wide).

L-series tractors may be somewhat too large and heavy for landscaping unless you're talking about installing new landscaping. Then the L-series would be fine for the site prep work. I wouldn't want that size tractor running over an established landscaped area even with turf tires. But that's just me. It wouldn't bother some folks.

My neighbor has a brand new Kubota L4400 with gear tranny and the 6-ft FEL bucket. ONe sweet machine.

You probably will end up with something in the the 30-40 hp range, HST, 4WD, FEL with 6-ft bucket, 6-ft rotary mower (aka brush hog) and 6-ft box blade. Lots of choices. TBNers usually go with a tractor from a local dealer so servicing is more convenient.

Test drive before you buy. Be sure to test drive tractor that has the FEL you want already installed so you can get the feel of the joystick. If it doesn't feel right see if the dealer can reposition the control valve so you like it better. It's nice to have a 4-position FEL control valve with both float and fast dump features. Float is standard; fast dump usually is not.

Get chain hooks welded to the bucket (you supply the hooks, dealer welds them on free. AW Direct is a good place to find hooks).

Get a skid steer compatible quick disconnect attachment option for your FEL. I have that on my ML250 FEL and it's the only way to go. It's not that expensive (about $800 for the one I have).

Stay away from Kubota tractors with the quarter-inching feature on the 3pt hitch (found on the B-series). My B7510HST had it and I disliked it intensely. Get a tractor that has a good 3pt position control setup. L-series Kubotas have position control.

/ Newbie buying first tractor - need help #5  
I had 10 acres that was nearly all cleared and a brother a few miles off had 10 acres of solid woods. I first bought a 1995 Kubota B7100 with a front end loader, 4' brush hog, 40" tiller, 4' box blade, and middle buster. We got a lot of work done with it, but of course there were times when I wished a for a little more power, power steering, and a little more speed on the road. So I bought a 1999 Kubota B2710 and never regretted it.

I agree with you about the BX being too small for what you're going to do, and while the B2710, B2910, B7800, B3030 would all be satisfactory, in my opinion, I think you'll be even happier with the L series tractors that you've looked at.

/ Newbie buying first tractor - need help #6  
After not being satisfied with my first tractor, my own fault for not doing my homwork there is a lot of good suggestions here.

I agree with you about the BX being too small for what you're going to do, and while the B2710, B2910, B7800, B3030 would all be satisfactory, in my opinion, I think you'll be even happier with the L series tractors that you've looked at.

I think this one really hits the nail on the head. Also be sure and look into you FEL abilities when making your choice. I personally would get all the FEL power you fit into your budget, you will be amazed at how many things you can use the FEL for with the proper attachments.

/ Newbie buying first tractor - need help #7  
landsurv:

Welcome to TBN :D! I would think a tractor in the mid 20's to low 30's HP should meet your needs. I would also recomend 4WMFWD, power steering, and a HST. For mowing you will want a lighter tractor; for dirt work a heavier tractor. I am still in the process of widening my tractor trails to accomodate my "29" in my woods. Jay

/ Newbie buying first tractor - need help
Thanks for all the responses! Which lead to more questions.

Jay, What is 4WMFWD?

Flusher, the hooks sound like a good idea - would the dealer not carry those? I had not thought about the Skid Steer, but will check into that. Also the landscaping I was referring to would be new areas, I agree about putting a tractor into existing landscaping.

Can anyone tell me the difference in the HST vs. Gear box?

What type tires would you recommend for my applications? Also I've read alot about weighting the tires, is this to increase stability? what are the downsides to doing so?

I know these are all questions the dealers can answer, but I think its great to get non-biased thoughts and opinions. Also, I hate to sound totally ignorant when I talk to the dealers (even though that pretty much sums me up);)

Thanks again,
Mark

/ Newbie buying first tractor - need help #9  
I've been hearing that the newer (2008?) L3400/L2800 may have the old jerky valves in the 3ph... just want you to know that. Make sure you try them out by putting on a boom pole and try and pick something up like a bucket of water. (light weight and try and to inch it up).

Loaded tires good for stability. Downside is if trailer weight is close.

HST vs. Gear... tons and tons to read on the site for that question. HST is easier to use and I recommended it.

The BX might be small, just means you'll spend more time in the seat. :D

/ Newbie buying first tractor - need help #10  
What is 4WMFWD?

This may be the first time I've seen that exactly, but I think it's "4 Wheel Mechanical Front Wheel Drive". We probably more commonly see just 4WD or MFWD (the latter being John Deere's preference).