Newbie buying first tractor - need help

/ Newbie buying first tractor - need help #11  
In the Deere line you can look at the 2320, 2520, 2720, 3120, 3320, 3005, and the new 3E line.

/ Newbie buying first tractor - need help #12  
Thanks for all the responses! Which lead to more questions.

Flusher, the hooks sound like a good idea - would the dealer not carry those? I had not thought about the Skid Steer, but will check into that. Also the landscaping I was referring to would be new areas, I agree about putting a tractor into existing landscaping.

Thanks again,
Mark

Maybe. But I prefer to buy my own hooks. Here are the ones on my Mahindra 5525

DSCF0064Small-1.jpg

Note that these hooks are welded to a stiffener plate that in turn is welded to the top of the FEL bucket.

The two outer ones are weld-on grab hooks;

Weld-On Grab Hooks - Grade 40 - 5/16" - Mfg# B2408W

the center one is an anchor hook

Gunnebo-Johnson Grade 80 Weld-On Anchor Hook w/ 4,400 lb. WLL - 3-3/4"H x 5"L - Mfg# 589357

/ Newbie buying first tractor - need help #13  
There are so many good brands and models to choose from. Hard to really go wrong. The heaviest machines are probably Branson and Kioti. So they will be a bit more effective at digging, but harder on the lawn. Hard to beat the dealer networks of Kubota, JD, and New Holland. Mahindra, Tym, Montana, and MF also make nice machines.

For PTO, I would want at least 30 HP at the PTO for the mowing, probably a little bit more.

2nd the QC loader. I also like the self leveling buckets.

I recommend at least one set of rear hydraulic remotes, probably two sets. Rear-access PTO controls are nice too.

Only a frame mount backhoe. Never a 3 pt mount backhoe.

HST is worth every penny but not absolutely required.

Cab is nice to stay out of the dust/heat/cold/rain. But, can be in the way when operating in the woods.

If you would like to use the loader a lot without a counter weight, then get loaded tires or wheel weights.

Tires: R4's to minimize turf damage yet retain some traction. However, all but Ags (R1's) aren't very good in the mud. They load up too easily.

/ Newbie buying first tractor - need help
Thanks for all the good info guys.

Gittyup - what is the "QC loader" ?

Now I guess I just need to start talking to dealers and test driving some of these machines!

/ Newbie buying first tractor - need help #15  
Thanks for all the good info guys.

Gittyup - what is the "QC loader" ?

Now I guess I just need to start talking to dealers and test driving some of these machines!

QC: quick connect, aka QA: Quick Attach. It allows you to use skid steer type attachments, like forks, bales spears, etc. without the need for tools to change from one to the other.

/ Newbie buying first tractor - need help #16  
Sounds like something in the 20's hp range.. perhaps a 4' mower, and 4wd and a loader.

soundguy

Howdy from Texas guys and/or gals. Been lurking for a few days on this website and am amazed (and overwhelmed) at the wealth of info here. I am beginning the process of research to purchase a tractor to be used for residential purposes mainly. We have 10 acres, about 2 in lawn/yard, rest in woods w/ a 1/2 acre pond.

Need the tractor for brush-hogging in woods,trails and around pond and for landscaping projects. Also hope to be able to remove some stumps. I will not be mowing with it, as I have an Exmark for that. I will probably by trailering the tractor to brother in laws for brush-hogging, etc. also.

Got the go-ahead from the boss yesterday, so I'm ready to get serious. I have been looking at the different tractor websites, but have only visited one dealership(Kubota) which turned out to be unexpectedly closed, but I got out and sat in a few, kicked tires, etc.

The L2800/L3400 seemed to be about the size I might be looking for, but I don't know. The BX series seemed a bit small.

Any thoughts, recommendations for size tractor I might need. As far as the brand goes, I'm not married to the Kubota's, just have seen a lot of them around here for years. Other dealers nearby are John Deere, New Holland. I'm hoping to stay around/under 20K.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any thoughts, comments, questions.

/ Newbie buying first tractor - need help
What do you guys think about the Montana 3440 HST vs. the Kubota L3400 or Mahindra 3316?

/ Newbie buying first tractor - need help #18  
Decisions, decisions.....don"t they "make you tired"!!

I went through this process this Fall....narrowed choices to a 40Hp tractor with loader, 3 point, and remote hydralics. Looked at New Holland, Mahindra and Kioti. Liked them all but chose the Kioti as it just seemed to "fit" me...easy on and off, flat platform, controls well placed, excellent adjustable seat, great warranty AND a dealer I really like.
We own 1100 acres so my machine will do the fences, move the brush and snow, etc. I did accessorise with a grapple attachment and a 5 foot Land Pride mower(got a good buy on new one...so quit looking at 6 footers).
I love being able to store the tractor in my shop...just lower the ROPS and drive right in.
The 40Hp sure works for me...these new diesels are wonderful and powerful little guys. I chose a gear drive with shuttle shift....just worried about loading the tranny too much in heavy pulling... GOOD LUCK

/ Newbie buying first tractor - need help #19  
What do you guys think about the Montana 3440 HST vs. the Kubota L3400 or Mahindra 3316?

when I was shopping a couple years ago, the Montana's weren't very comfortable for me -- but then, I'm not a small guy.
I'd figure out what width trail you want to make/maintain, and look for machines that fit. most of the 28-35 HP machines will be 60-68" wide at the rear wheels. Skid steer type QA loader is a godsend - and worth every bit of the extra $500 it'll add to the sticker from many of the brands over their own proprietary type of quick connect. HST is like an automatic transmission - you push the pedal and you go. Shuttle shift lefts you go from forward to revere without changing gears -- often in the literature on a gear tractor it'll say 8x8 (4 speed, 2 range diff)or 12x12 (4 speed, 3 range diff). 9x3 is another manual tranny, where you have 3 speeds plus reverse and 3 ranges on the differential. Shuttle is great for loader work.
Check the used market, also - but be careful with ebay and craig's list - if the deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Good luck and happy shopping - you've got a good advice pool here.

/ Newbie buying first tractor - need help #20  
Have you test driven any of them? Played with the controls? Talked to the dealer about them?