Newbie Tractor advice

/ Newbie Tractor advice #21  
What do you think of this?

2002 KUBOTA BX22 Less than 40 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com

I'm not familiar with the BX series. This unit has everything, but it seems the hp is a bit low. I heard that the published prices are a little high - if you were going to make a counter-offer on this, what would be a good price? I am thinking I'd want at least 20hp. How easy is it to remove the bucket loader on these things?

You're right. It's a small tractor, small hp, small FEL bucket, small backhoe bucket.

My 2005 Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto) with the LA302 FEL (4-ft bucket) was also on the small size. But it did what I wanted it to do on my 10-acre spread.

Small tractors can get the job done. Just takes longer---sometimes a lot longer. More hp usually is an advantage.

You need to figure out exactly what you want to do with your tractor in the next few years and make a selection accordingly. When I decided to go into haying on 6 of my 10 acres, I traded the 2005 B7510 for a 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto) to handle the haying implements that are way too large for that small Bota. As the Dwight Yoakum song says--"Baby, things change".

The FEL on my B7510 was pretty easy to remove/reinstall. Don't know about the backhoe on the BX since I've never owned a tractor with a backhoe.

/ Newbie Tractor advice
Right now I'm just mowing down my fields - Is there any money in baling the hay? If I thought I could generate any revenue from it, I'd be interested, but I know nothing about that market. I grew up in the country, then moved to the city and am back in the country part-time now. I'd prefer to get something I could grow into rather than have become obsolete if I chose to do more (like what you're talking about with the hay) but at the same time, I don't want to spend $20k on something I'd not use very often. It's a tough decision and I welcome any input and advice you all have.

/ Newbie Tractor advice #23  
Right now I'm just mowing down my fields - Is there any money in baling the hay? If I thought I could generate any revenue from it, I'd be interested, but I know nothing about that market. I grew up in the country, then moved to the city and am back in the country part-time now. I'd prefer to get something I could grow into rather than have become obsolete if I chose to do more (like what you're talking about with the hay) but at the same time, I don't want to spend $20k on something I'd not use very often. It's a tough decision and I welcome any input and advice you all have.

Quick answer--probably not for only 12 acres. Baled pasture grass (which I assume is what we're talking about here) is cattle and goat feed and is not worth much. Horse owners generally buy crop hay (alfalfa, various grasses, oat hay, etc).

Use the TBN Search utility with keyword "baling" and search the thread titles. You'll find a lot of info that will answer your questions.

I'm a hay farmer in training. I don't plan to make any money at it. It's a hobby and I enjoy getting old haying equipment working again. It's good therapy.