Newbie Tractor advice

/ Newbie Tractor advice
I think I've decided to go for something smaller and with lower potential maintenance. My plan is to keep my eyes open and figure out what's a good price for something more modest and be prepared to jump when it becomes available.

/ Newbie Tractor advice #12  
Potential maintenance?

No matter what tractor you buy.. it will still need oil and filter changes..and greasing.

IMHO.. I wouldn't base my purchase decision on whether i had to grease 4 zerks as opposed to 6 zerks.. or haul off 2g of crankcase oil, vs 6 quarts... I'd base it on my land size nd tasks i need to perform.

soundguy

/ Newbie Tractor advice
By "potential maintenance" I was referring to long term reliability.

/ Newbie Tractor advice #14  
Ahh.. substituting one phrase meaning something substantially different for another phrase.. and then providing no context for that change.. got it.... ;)

I don't think 'size' ( IE. 'smaller' ) entails any special 'long term reliability'.. in fact.. larger tractors seem to be able to accumulate more hours before rebuild than smaller ones.. on average.

or by 'long term reliability'.. did you really mean something else? ;)

Soundguy

/ Newbie Tractor advice
Ahh.. substituting one phrase meaning something substantially different for another phrase.. and then providing no context for that change.. got it.... ;)

I don't think 'size' ( IE. 'smaller' ) entails any special 'long term reliability'.. in fact.. larger tractors seem to be able to accumulate more hours before rebuild than smaller ones.. on average.

or by 'long term reliability'.. did you really mean something else? ;)

Soundguy

What it takes to "maintain" a tractor is based on its "potential reliability." I think most people could figure that out. ;)

/ Newbie Tractor advice #16  
Uh.. Maintenance and repairs are slightly different.

maintenance is like oil changes and greasing.. filling tires with air.. etc.

and as I stated.. the average large tractor generally goes longer hours than a smaller tractor in terms of lifespan... thus I'd call a larger tractor, using yor definition, more potentially reliable... since i can expect 8-10-12K hours out of a big diesel.. vs 4-6 k hrs out of a small one..

soundguy

/ Newbie Tractor advice #17  
'long term reliability' (to me) is based on both taking care of your equipment (service and maintenances) and not abusing the tractor. Most will last longer then we will if it's used "gently". What is your price range?

/ Newbie Tractor advice
I'm willing to be patient and wait for a good deal. My needs will be somewhat modest: mowing about 10 acres, some slightly hilly; need a FEL to do a variety of things. I could use either a bush hog or a finish mower - I have a riding lawnmower I could use to finish mow if I found a good deal on one with a bush hog. A bucket is a luxury - I would certainly love to have that but those seem super-expensive. I'm sure I'll think of a lot of other things to do with it once I have it.

This unit won't be a constant workhorse, and it may go periods of a month or two without use so I need something reliable that won't be high maintenance.

I've been attending various estate auctions trying to get a feel for whether or not I'd get a better deal that way. I know there's more risk in picking something up this way, but I figure if I go with a well-known brand/model and check it out beforehand, if the price is right, it's worth the risk. But maybe not? I don't know. I don't have enough of an immediate need for the tractor so I'm being patient. Of course, I know as soon as I get it I'll wonder why I didn't have it sooner. But I'd like to get one tractor that will do everything I want and I won't have to upgrade.

One thing that has confused me is trying to make sense of the Kubota models... It seems they changed their naming conventions recently? from stuff like 7500 to B2320... I can't tell where one series ended and another begins in order to identify the differences.

/ Newbie Tractor advice #19  
4x4 wuld be nice.. but that kicks you into a much newer machine.

PS will be nice, if you get a loader.. doable without.. though if this is a limited use machine.

perhaps a 55+ ford inthe 30-50 hp range.. with a focus onthe live pto models.. like 660/661 860/861 .. diesel and ps a plus.. 3000 / maybee even a 4000 3 cyl.. etc.

also look at the hd industrial models with better front end.. like 1841, 3400 / 3500.. etc. for better loader work.. check pto requirements though.

soundguy

/ Newbie Tractor advice
What do you think of this?

2002 KUBOTA BX22 Less than 40 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com

I'm not familiar with the BX series. This unit has everything, but it seems the hp is a bit low. I heard that the published prices are a little high - if you were going to make a counter-offer on this, what would be a good price? I am thinking I'd want at least 20hp. How easy is it to remove the bucket loader on these things?