Tractor Sizing What size Tractor do i need?

/ What size Tractor do i need?
The thing is for me personally this will be the greatest toy i have ever owned. I am so excited about this. And it's not like the next best is a mountain bike lol.

I have a 2010 camaro and i would probably trade it for the excavator lol.

/ What size Tractor do i need? #22  
got a price of 29,800.00 for a brand new Bobcat 325
They did have a 329 with 1200 hours for 12,500.00 which seems like a deal but ill have to look at it. im sure it must be beaten up bad.
But i plan on getting the new 325 if i don't see a good used one that i would feel comfortable buying.

If you do get the new 325 one thing that would be nice to have and very useful on the 325 is a hydraulic thumb as you can pick up the junk like the blocks and steel or shingles with ease when you are cleaning up

Just want to thank everyone for all the great advice.
Since i have been a member here i have never noticed so many work machines when i travel. lol

This is my list i came up with on things i want to do.

1. Make trails for ATV riding (60 Acres)
2. Make a road (thru the woods 300 yards)
3. Make a pond
4. Dig stumps
5. Dig rocks
6. Trench for water line
7. Clear land for house
8. Dig a trash pit (people used to dump on my land 30 years ago, about 15 piles of debris and car hoods, doors, big stuff)
9. Build a dam (there is a canyon runs thru the center of my land with a stream)
10. Scrape land where trailor burned. (cement and trash that needs buried also)
11. Level an area for my 30x60 shop
12. Dig foundation for house
13. Pull trees up canyon for lumber or firewood
14. Lift and transport large rocks
15. Lift lawn tractor to change blades
16. Maintain road
17. Bury pets when they die
18. Plow driveway incase of snow
19. Pulling up fence posts (about 50 or more of them to do)
20. Earn money digging for others on the side
21. Dig a tornado shelter

All this would kill me with a pic axe and shovel.

/ What size Tractor do i need? #24  
I would pay someone to dig the pond, then buy the largest tractor you are comfortable operating around your property, you will be money and time ahead!

I am pretty sure ive got the deal done on a 2006 329 bobcat, 330 hours for 12,500. I am going to have them swap the 24" bucket for a 12" (free) but ill pay to have the thumb put on it. Not sure how much the thumb will run yet.

/ What size Tractor do i need? #26  
Be careful getting a bucket too narrow, lots of times the thumb and hardware require a slightly wider bucket. I have several buckets and find in most cases I can dig faster with the larger ones.

Be careful getting a bucket too narrow, lots of times the thumb and hardware require a slightly wider bucket. I have several buckets and find in most cases I can dig faster with the larger ones.

Is there anything between a 12" and 24"? because a 24" looked kinda big for it.

/ What size Tractor do i need? #28  
Inquire about an 18" bucket, likely they have 12, 16, 18, 20 and 24 inch buckets. I wouldn't be too leary of a 24" bucket though.

Inquire about an 18" bucket, likely they have 12, 16, 18, 20 and 24 inch buckets. I wouldn't be too leary of a 24" bucket though.

The ground ill be using it mainly at is very rocky, sometimes big ones, and ill need to dig out a lot of tree stumps. That's why they said a 12" bucket may suit me best. should i get a couple buckets so i can change them out for the conditions?, like a 12" and a 20"?

/ What size Tractor do i need? #30  
The advantage in having a 12" bucket is in good soil or clay without alot of rocks, this allows a narrow trench and less overall disturbance. Digging in rocky soil or loose soil where the sides readily cave in I prefer a wider bucket since you can cleanout the trench faster.

Recognize that when digging in rocky soil and you hook a rock with the bucket it really doesn't matter whether it is a narrow or wide bucket, either one can provide the same forces to peel it out. The narrow bucket is not really going to dig better in the majority of cases.

What I have now is one 12" bucket with standard teeth and one newly aquired 12" bucket that I will put rock teeth on. I have an 18" standard bucket and is my preferred bucket for most jobs.

I use the 12" bucket to install small water and sprinkler lines in lawns where less ground disturbance is preferred.