Tractor Sizing What size Tractor do i need?

/ What size Tractor do i need?
The advantage in having a 12" bucket is in good soil or clay without alot of rocks, this allows a narrow trench and less overall disturbance. Digging in rocky soil or loose soil where the sides readily cave in I prefer a wider bucket since you can cleanout the trench faster.

Recognize that when digging in rocky soil and you hook a rock with the bucket it really doesn't matter whether it is a narrow or wide bucket, either one can provide the same forces to peel it out. The narrow bucket is not really going to dig better in the majority of cases.

What I have now is one 12" bucket with standard teeth and one newly aquired 12" bucket that I will put rock teeth on. I have an 18" standard bucket and is my preferred bucket for most jobs.

I use the 12" bucket to install small water and sprinkler lines in lawns where less ground disturbance is preferred.
I talked to the dealer today and told him i wanted a 12" and a 18", he said he will try to find them for me. He said for digging up roots and stumps the 12" would be best for it. It won't bother me to have a couple options with buckets though. I'm sure i will put them all to use. Thanks for the great advice. I'm going to research rock teeth now and find out what they are lol

/ What size Tractor do i need? #32  
I'm so jealous. I've always wanted a mini x. You da man.:thumbsup:

I'm so jealous. I've always wanted a mini x. You da man.:thumbsup:

I am so excited about it!! I will be sure to post pics and vids of it working on my land.

here are a few pics of my land.
63 acres

land12.jpg

canyon.jpg

canyon1.jpg

well there has been a delay on it :mad: despite perfect credit we weren't able to get financing on it because we are not a business. So instead of going to a bank and getting a loan im just gonna save up and buy one. So far i have 5000 saved towards it and ill be saving at least 1000 a week. So it shouldn't take me too long anyways.

/ What size Tractor do i need? #36  
well there has been a delay on it :mad: despite perfect credit we weren't able to get financing on it because we are not a business. So instead of going to a bank and getting a loan im just gonna save up and buy one. So far i have 5000 saved towards it and ill be saving at least 1000 a week. So it shouldn't take me too long anyways.

Good lord! A guy that can save 1000 a week and you can't get a loan on the equipment with 30% down? Have you joined a local credit union? Ours makes those loans all the time. (especially to people with perfect credit and can pay it off in a couple months if need be!)

Good lord! A guy that can save 1000 a week and you can't get a loan on the equipment with 30% down? Have you joined a local credit union? Ours makes those loans all the time. (especially to people with perfect credit and can pay it off in a couple months if need be!)

Its was thru the bobcat dealer that i couldn't get financing because i wasn't a business, which seemed strange to me but no biggy. im very patient and a good saver, i would normally have that amount saved but i bought 2 cars this year that i was saving for before, once i got the amount saved i bought the second car.

/ What size Tractor do i need? #38  
That whole deal stinks to high heaven. I think your dealer is putting the shaft to you if you indeed have good credit and whatever. You dont need a business to buy a TLB. Check Agri-Credit for financing, this dealer is totally screwed up somewhere. I suspect that he found a buyer for that equipment that is willing to pay more. Heck, go to your local bank and get a loan.

/ What size Tractor do i need? #39  
567234ta:

Couple of points on your list that you may want to consider.

1. The pond may require permits depending on the use and size. Check with your building inspector, town forester, or cooperative extension.

2. Trash dumps should be left alone, or completely removed. Movement and reburial is likely to get you in super hot water with the EPA, with fines that will bankrupt you. Cans & bottles can be recycled. Automotive parts should be recycled - if only as scrape metal - and might net you enough money to cover transport costs. Roofing shingles are usually considered petroleum contaminated and require either burning or recycling - check with a paving company - they might pick them up for nothing. I'd a haul out those cement block pieces, and the slab, and bust them up for road material.

3. Check with your state laws on damming that stream. There are EPA considerations for all wetlands, and safety considerations for all dams on streams. Look for Permit by Notification on the state website. And fines for violations on dam construction can ruin you too.

I'm from New Hampshire which is getting more nanny state by the day. You look like you're in the west, so you might have fewer regs to worry about.

/ What size Tractor do i need? #40  
Sometimes being financially responsible can bite you in the behind. On a couple of occasions I was refused credit because I had not borrowed enough over the years and didn't have a credit card. We have paid cash for the last car and two tractors we bought and probably couldn't get approved to finance anything anymore.

If I ever buy anything else, I may look into financing to see what happens.