Tractor Sizing Is Tractor Weight Important?

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #21  
   / Is Tractor Weight Important? #22  
Trying to decide on two tractors and the weight is a big question for me. Practically and operationally speaking, how big a difference does almost 600 lbs. make when using a 37 HP tractor with a FEL? Main uses would be brush cutting rough 15 acres, moving logs, gravel road maintenance, large garden management.

Good input from others. The job you have that benefits from more weight is "moving logs"; although a heavier, larger machine might work more efficiently with the other tasks, those jobs would be done acceptably by either tractor you're considering. Regarding logs, a lot depends on the circumstances. Large diameter or smaller? Carry with FEL or pull? In the woods or open ground? How many/how often? Either tractor can do this work; a bigger/heavier tractor can handle more and larger material.

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #23  
The 3520 would spec more similarly, but it's a comfort tractor, and the price will be much higher than a std. L. Personally, price aside, the std L series is much nicer than the 303xe series tractors. If you can afford the extra thousand or two the L usually cost, than it would be the way to go.

Or a Grand L series Kubota 3240/3540 if you have that extra $$$.:D
They still havent got them jerky L3800 fixed in 2012?
If you get loaded tires on either should be fine,if not just put a boxblade or something on back.If its the front put something in the bucket,dont go and throw a bunch of un-needed weight on there,so you make ruts while trying to mow the pasture.
If you have big logs may have to cut down to size that fits the tractors limits,if you dont wonna cut the log down then get a BIGger Tractor.....

Last edited:
   / Is Tractor Weight Important? #24  
Or a Grand L series Kubota 3240/3540 if you have that extra $$$.:D
They still havent got them jerky L3800 fixed in 2012?

What I was implying, but since the topic had already been discussed in the OP's previous thread I didn't get to deep into it.

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #25  
When comparing similiarly specified tractors (which might be hard to do), does the heavier one imply that it has more and better hardware? Or does it simply mean that the lighter one was designed differently and not of less quality? Boy, an ordinary person could go crazy thinking about this stuff.:D If just adding weight to the lighter one (e.g.filled tires) was the answer, that settles it. But then weight could also be added to the heavier one too and it would still come out as the better one.:confused: I've got a BX and wish that I had a TALLER one. :laughing: But that's not apples and apples.

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #26  
The tractor weight is important to getting certain jobs done such as loader work. I like to look at what the tractor is used for primarily to find the best way to ballast as well as where to put the weight so buying a tractor with to much weight that is not removeable can be an issue.

Look at what you will be using the tractor for the most and where you will be putting the most hours on for your options as well.
Many look at the loader work as a large task but after the heavy work is done, what gets the most hours? To have a heavy or well weighted tractor out mowing can be a disadvantage to the owner from the aspect of fuel useage alone! Other things that enter in would be soil compaction and ride.

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #27  
Also, think about backhoe work. You want a heavy tractor to absorb the movement of the hoe. Otherwise your tractor moves all over the place.

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #28  
The tractor weight is important to getting certain jobs done such as loader work. I like to look at what the tractor is used for primarily to find the best way to ballast as well as where to put the weight so buying a tractor with to much weight that is not removeable can be an issue.

Look at what you will be using the tractor for the most and where you will be putting the most hours on for your options as well.
Many look at the loader work as a large task but after the heavy work is done, what gets the most hours? To have a heavy or well weighted tractor out mowing can be a disadvantage to the owner from the aspect of fuel useage alone! Other things that enter in would be soil compaction and ride.

Art, you always say that ballast makes the tractor ride worse. I have found just the opposite, that with fluid in the tires the tractor is by far smoother, especially when going over rough terrain. :confused: As far as fuel consumption, if the small increase actually affects the pocket book of those of us that use our tractor for 200 hours or less per year, then that person probably shouldn't have a tractor anyway. Most of us on TBN are not making a living with our tractors and so much of the stuff that is talked about is really only a concern for those few that are using their machines for 1000+ hours a year, year after year. Very common for it to be said don't do this or don't do that, you will wear your tractor out faster. How much faster, 10%, 15%, I'll be dead and gone before the tractor wears out even at the accelerated rate.

We on TBN are real good about making issues out of what are really none issues, stuff that the majority of us simply should not be concerned with. Myself included. :(

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #29  
MtnViewRanch said:
Art, you always say that ballast makes the tractor ride worse. I have found just the opposite, that with fluid in the tires the tractor is by far smoother, especially when going over rough terrain. :confused: As far as fuel consumption, if the small increase actually affects the pocket book of those of us that use our tractor for 200 hours or less per year, then that person probably shouldn't have a tractor anyway. Most of us on TBN are not making a living with our tractors and so much of the stuff that is talked about is really only a concern for those few that are using their machines for 1000+ hours a year, year after year. Very common for it to be said don't do this or don't do that, you will wear your tractor out faster. How much faster, 10%, 15%, I'll be dead and gone before the tractor wears out even at the accelerated rate.

We on TBN are real good about making issues out of what are really none issues, stuff that the majority of us simply should not be concerned with. Myself included. :(

Agree 100%. Would've said the exact same thing, but to much to type on the phone.

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #30  
Martian said:
Agree 100%. Would've said the exact same thing, but to much to type on the phone.

Me too.