Tractor Sizing Is Tractor Weight Important?

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #11  
A better comparison would be the JD3520 to the kubota. The weights will be closer and the features more similar.

I had two tractors with similar HP and about 1000 lbs difference in weight. No comparison for pulling power....the heavier tractor is hands down better. Both run PTO implements equally....but agian the heavier tractor can lift more at both the loader and 3 point due to more ballast (and bigger hydraulic pump too).

The 3520 would spec more similarly, but it's a comfort tractor, and the price will be much higher than a std. L. Personally, price aside, the std L series is much nicer than the 303xe series tractors. If you can afford the extra thousand or two the L usually cost, than it would be the way to go.

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #12  
Comparing the JD3038E (2087 lbs) to Kubota L3800 (2668 lbs.) Since I can add fluid to the wheels on both, I am not factoring it into the equation at this point.
Thanks!
A little off your subject, but, the Kubota Lxx00 series sometimes has a 'jerky' 3 pt. hitch problem. Since you are planning what appears to be extensive 3pt. use, this could become an issue for you.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2683097#post2683097

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/231542-l3800-jerky-hitch-fixed.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/230432-jerky-hitch-fixed.html

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #13  
A little off your subject, but, the Kubota Lxx00 series sometimes has a 'jerky' 3 pt. hitch problem. Since you are planning what appears to be extensive 3pt. use, this could become an issue for you.

Not a Kubota wiz, but I do believe if you nag your dealer enough they are obligated to fix it for you. It is a very big deal though, you don't want one that has it.

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #14  
Weight made a big difference to me when I bought almost 4 years ago. My Kioti DK45SE was 3924 lbs, while an equivalent Kubota L4400 is 3307 lbs. Almost 20% difference. Besides, the Kioti was a bunch cheaper. I wanted the extra weight on my steep land. And I added tire weight (fluid) + 700 lbs of backhoe. I figure w/ the FEL, the total weight is 6500-7000 lbs. Of course, I have to stay away from grass/turf w/ that kind of weight.

Marcus

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #15  
After reading the question as posed by the title of the thread, my immediate response was (without reading further)....are you kidding me? Weight is, IMO, the single-most important aspect of any tractor. Without it, the tractor doesn't work. All the horsepower in the world is useless if there is no weight to work it against.

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #16  
Not a Kubota wiz, but I do believe if you nag your dealer enough they are obligated to fix it for you. It is a very big deal though, you don't want one that has it.
Some people apparently nagged a lot, and got it fixed under warranty. Others weren't so fortunate. Some of the cases are in the links I posted.

Just something for a potential buyer to be aware of, just in case the dealer tries to blow them off.

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #17  
Comparing the JD3038E (2087 lbs) to Kubota L3800 (2668 lbs.) Since I can add fluid to the wheels on both, I am not factoring it into the equation at this point.
Thanks!

The Kubota is almost 28% heavier than the Deere, that is a lot. And finally a person that acknowledges that weight can be added to both tractors so that the heavier tractor will always be the heavier tractor. :thumbsup:

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #18  
If everything else is equal, then the amount of drawbar pull a tractor can develop is directly proportional to it's weight. For your uses however, I think you would be better served by the lighter tractor. For moving logs, I like a lighter tractor because it does less damage to the woods in wet conditions which predominate on my farm. Same thing for rough-cutting acreage, the lighter tractor is going to do less damage to the ground in wet conditions. If you have very well drained soils and never need to worry about wet conditions, then the extra weight wont hurt you so bad. Obviously, that extra weight will hurt your fuel economy, not only of the tractor itself, but also on the tow-vehicle when and if you need to trailer.

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #19  
Don87 said:
Some people apparently nagged a lot, and got it fixed under warranty. Others weren't so fortunate. Some of the cases are in the links I posted.

Just something for a potential buyer to be aware of, just in case the dealer tries to blow them off.

In that case, I wouldn't buy one unless it was off the dealers lot or my dealer signed something that said I will work on this thing till its right. I would not accept a tractor that jerked like some of them do.

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #20  
For moving logs, I like a lighter tractor because it does less damage to the woods in wet conditions which predominate on my farm.

I was pulling logs out of my forest with a friend who wanted some firewood a few days ago. Cable, pulley, choker system. His Toyota Tacoma 4x4 just spun its tires, but my tractor w/ 2x the weight pulled them out w/ ease. Weight wins out in that case.