Buying Advice Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property
Thanks. Everyone seems to be suggesting a blower so I'll definitely go with one of those. I'll see if I can stretch my budget a little to get a bigger tractor. In terms of the wooded area, I don't really have plans other than to let the kids ride the ATVs around. I'll probably have to clear some areas for trails. Best, Greg.

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property #12  
for sure dont waste your money on the back hoe attachment . i had the 2520 set up just like your describing and the back hoe and the mmm was more trouble than they were worth . if i were you i would get the tractor and a USED bushhog finish mower and a nice snow blower for the front of the tractor and be all set .

I am a little curious - over on the Kubota forum, they swear up and down that you need to get a backhoe on a B series (sometimes even on the BX), but the JD folks don't generally seem to think they are worthwhile. Are the Deere backhoes much more expensive, hard to mount/dismount or underperforming, or is there some other reason for the big difference in opinion?

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property #13  
I am a little curious - over on the Kubota forum, they swear up and down that you need to get a backhoe on a B series (sometimes even on the BX), but the JD folks don't generally seem to think they are worthwhile. Are the Deere backhoes much more expensive, hard to mount/dismount or underperforming, or is there some other reason for the big difference in opinion?

Maybe they are or not more expensive than others, but why buy an expensive piece of equipment if used once you will be done. Then it will be laying around for 5 years. I'm not sure it is being a John Deere guy or whatever, but it just seems to make sense to me.

I bought a JD tractor with FEL. When I get done with my big pile of dirt I want moved and leveled, I really won't have a use for it other than to lift stuff once in a while. But I'm stuck with it. A backhoe is used for one thing and that is digging and when all the holes are dug, then what?

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property #14  
How do I tell you something without making people upset.

A lot of people who buy Kubota with small backhoes are people who like to "play" with their tractors on the weekends.
When they need to do real "work" they find that they are doing more work with their undersized equipment than if they were using the proper tool.

A lot of JD people use their tractors daily for "work", though they do enjoy the work. Right tool for the right job.

For the rare occasion that I need a hole, pull a stump, clear a ditch, I will rent the proper excavator for the job and get it done in an a couple hours (having a blast doing it) rather than playing for a couple of weekends with an undersized BH working on that stump, getting frustrated in the process.

Thanks, chevyman29 (I have an HD 2500 myself), your suggestion will save me a lot of money. I appreciate the advice! Greg

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property #16  
I have the 3320 and its a very capable machine. But that would be as small as I would reccomend for 20 acres. If I had to do it over I would have jumped up to the 4 series.

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property #17  
To me I would also factor in lift capacity of the FEL. Even the 3000 series is limited on lifting capacity without rear ballast. If you plan to do any heavy lifting I would look towards the 4000 series tractors. Both the 3000 and 4000 series are great tractors, easy to operate, fairly easy to service, and have numerous options available. If it were me I would look at the 3x20 and lower 4x20 tractors, get the right tractor first so you don't have to go up or down later on. Just my :2cents:

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property #18  
To me I would also factor in lift capacity of the FEL. Even the 3000 series is limited on lifting capacity without rear ballast. If you plan to do any heavy lifting I would look towards the 4000 series tractors. Both the 3000 and 4000 series are great tractors, easy to operate, fairly easy to service, and have numerous options available. If it were me I would look at the 3x20 and lower 4x20 tractors, get the right tractor first so you don't have to go up or down later on. Just my :2cents:

I agree, and would suggest testdriving the 5-series, too. This is a step-up to the utility tractor range, and qhen I was shopping I found I could get more tractor for similar cost. Basically a trade-off of bells, whistles, and maneuverability for weight and size. The latter was more important to me, may not be for you if things like HST are important. I also like basic stuff for purposes of having fewer things to fix/go wrong.

hmmm...I can see I'm going to have to chat with my wife about putting a little more money in the budget for the tractor! Thanks for the advice.

Best,

Greg

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property #20  
i had a 39 horse tractor thats to small for my 16 acres i traded up to a 70 horse its even a little smallish at times my 70 horse the other night coundnt lift a skid of salt some of the bags were froze solid i had to curl the skid back then it took 15 mins to lift it playing around i had two to load total on my 3500hd id say go at least one size bigger then what you want to get i been there done that i know i own an organe tractor