Buying Advice Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property #21  
I agree, and would suggest testdriving the 5-series, too. This is a step-up to the utility tractor range, and qhen I was shopping I found I could get more tractor for similar cost. Basically a trade-off of bells, whistles, and maneuverability for weight and size. The latter was more important to me, may not be for you if things like HST are important. I also like basic stuff for purposes of having fewer things to fix/go wrong.

This is a good point (although where do you stop? There is always the 6 series :laughing:) However, I recently went on the NH website and used the "build your own" tool to build a NH 75hp tractor. I then went to the JD site and did the same with a 4720, I outifitted them as close to apples to apples as I could be, which was everything except HST on the NH since it was unavaliable, however, the price was within 100 dollars of the two. It just goes to show that you can get a lot more for your money when you get out of the CUT segment.

However, you started looking for the 2x20 series and now we're talking about utility tractors :D

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property #22  
How do I tell you something without making people upset.

A lot of people who buy Kubota with small backhoes are people who like to "play" with their tractors on the weekends.
When they need to do real "work" they find that they are doing more work with their undersized equipment than if they were using the proper tool.

A lot of JD people use their tractors daily for "work", though they do enjoy the work. Right tool for the right job.

It's amazing how good John Deere Marketing is! You've certainly been brainwashed. (seriously)

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property #23  
hmmm...I can see I'm going to have to chat with my wife about putting a little more money in the budget for the tractor!

The tractor makers have 'premium lines' and 'utility' lines. For what you'd spend on a 30-35 HP 3000 series, you could have a 2 wheel drive 5000 series with 60-80 HP... and they are WORLDS apart in size and capability, but only a few thousand in price.

The good-news bad-news on tractors is they have very small incremental steps from this model to the one just a bit bigger and the price ins't much of a change at each minor step, and before you know it a 15,000 2320 is an 80,000 cab tractor with all the trimmings :)

Its highly unlikely that if the tractor bug bites, that this will be your last machine. Look at what you want/need to do and get something that is right-sized to do those jobs. In a year or two if you need to trade up/down you'll have a much better idea of what you need. The used tractor market is generally vigorous and its fairly easy to get in/out of tractors.

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property #24  
I bought a JD 870 2 wheel drive for my 9 acres almost all in pasture. I saw no need for 4wd. Once in a while I might want 4wd but I do not drive in snow. That said we had a Ford Golden Jubilee with a snow plow blade and chains that plowed for years at high school. My 870 which is abut 28 HP with a manual transmission has worked fine for 13 years. Now some folks have lots of money to burn so buying and trading toys is something they seem to do a lot. It sounds like technically you have 7 acres or so to maintain. One thing you can say about bigger tractors is they are bigger. They burn a bit more fuel. If I was making hay I would want a bigger tractor but it is rare that I say, darned I wish I had bought a 40+ HP tractor that weighs another 1,000 pounds. Certainly not for mowing and pushing the snow around.

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property #25  
I bought a JD 870 2 wheel drive for my 9 acres almost all in pasture. I saw no need for 4wd. Once in a while I might want 4wd but I do not drive in snow. That said we had a Ford Golden Jubilee with a snow plow blade and chains that plowed for years at high school. My 870 which is abut 28 HP with a manual transmission has worked fine for 13 years. Now some folks have lots of money to burn so buying and trading toys is something they seem to do a lot. It sounds like technically you have 7 acres or so to maintain. One thing you can say about bigger tractors is they are bigger. They burn a bit more fuel. If I was making hay I would want a bigger tractor but it is rare that I say, darned I wish I had bought a 40+ HP tractor that weighs another 1,000 pounds. Certainly not for mowing and pushing the snow around.

I agree with your advice... the key is knowing what you want to do with it and knowing your property. My only reason for suggesting he look at a utility tractor is that he may get more bang for the buck IF the utility tractor better suita his needs. For example, a 5045d 2wd lists about $2k LESS than a 2720 CUT (which is 4wd). In saving $2k, you get 40% more horsepower and considerably more weight, meaning a wider implements that save time are possible (likely negating fuel usage differences). Weight, traction, and power are also important if he wants to use ground-engaging implements. On the other hand, if maneuverability, HST, low weight for fine lawn maintenance are more important (or storage space at a premium), then CUT or SCUT may be better. In NY, unlike my part of NC, 4wd may be very important, particularly with a FEL... the 5045d 4wd is roughly $3k more than the 2720.

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property #26  
If you plan to do much tree cutting and clearing, that would be a reason for the larger tractor, you would also want a grapple.

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property #27  
It's amazing how good John Deere Marketing is! You've certainly been brainwashed. (seriously)

Agreed.

As to his original comments, I am a contractor and use my little B3200 almost daily. I do not have a backhoe for it yet, but might get one in the future. There are so many jobs that a small backhoe is handy for. In fact, I have rented B21 and B26 Kubota backhoes probably a dozen times in the past few years, never have yet needed a full size TLB (when I do I sub contract an excavator or track loader).

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property #28  
I have rented B21 and B26 Kubota backhoes probably a dozen times in the past few years, never have yet needed a full size TLB (when I do I sub contract an excavator or track loader).

I have a full size John Deere 410 backhoe and needed to hire my neighbor with his small tractor mounted backhoe to dig some drainage in my backyard, because my backhoe was too large.

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property #29  
If your not looking for a new tractor, keep in mind the older John Deere's, I think they are built better and last longer.
For instance, a 820, 830, 1020, 1520, 2040, 2020 all are above 30 hp and will do just about anything you may have in mind, and they won't break your bank.

Another option is a 950 or 1050 both are compacts, the hp is approx. 26 to 30 hp range, and in 4wd with a FEL they are hard to beat for your application.
These tractors can be bought with 4wd w/ FEL for under $10,000.00, make sure they are built after 1984 which is equipped with a 2 stage clutch, the earlier models did not have this feature.

Good luck with your new property.