Buying Advice First time tractor buyer

/ First time tractor buyer
I appreciate your honest. I'd rather hear that than a rosy picture.

So something like 10-20k, would be more realistic.

That is good to hear.

In reality, I will be working with my in-laws, so they have a lot of the equipment, but I am so happy that you gave me a realistic view.

It let's me know what it will be like when I break off on my own.

Why did you suggest a sickle mower?

realistically.. your rake could be 2500$.. a mower could be 2500-7500 depending on make age, etc. you might luck out and find a sickle bar for less and just take forever and a day. the round bailer will eat your lunch.. I'd rarely ever found a good enough to use one for less than 4000$

hp.. i wouldn't hit this with less than 50hp.. in a ford platform.. i think a 4000, 4600, 4610, 5000 5600, 5610 ( II and s series ) the later 6610 and 7610s are large int he 80 and 90hp ranges.. a lil overkill and will price you out, even being 10-15ys used.

so.. that 50ish hp tractor is likely to set you back 4500-7500$

all in all.. 1 machine to do all is a hard press fit.

if I was doing it.. I'd get the ( 4600-5610 ) and then have another tractor.. this one can be an older chapy.. like a ford 00 series from 55-64.. preferably an 8xx or 9xx model.. this will make a good rake.

also keep in mind with no loader you won't be stacking bales.. you will be stuck with 3pt bale carrier.

a ford 00 series with a loader will move 4x5 rounds.. but 5x5 are getting abusive. your 00 with a loader will be up to 3500$ or more if minty.. less if worked hard. without loader.. 2000+

or you can get a laoder for your main unit, and figure another 2500-4000$ IE.. expect to pay 10k$ for the tractor and loader by itself.

and that's what I'd do.. 4600-5610 with laoder.. bailer, rake and mower... and then a smaller ford like a 8xx or 9xx to mow and do other duties.. like pull a wagon.

you could go square bailer and save a couple thou.. but do more overall work.. need a kicker style and a follow trailer.. or will be making more passes and need labor.

small scale hay is hard.

the 2nd tractor is GOOD to have. if you did get a 8xx or 9xx ( or heck.. ford 2xxx/3xxx ) in a pinch it may run the bailer in an emergency..

probably not what you wanted to hear.

up to 50ac is quite a bit to maintain.

if it was just a hobby setup.. I'd say the old ford 8xx/9xx, sickle bar mower, rake and square bailer and you would still be around 10-12k depending on if a loader was in there and how badly the stuff was beat up.

( hay bailers require maintenance. )

/ First time tractor buyer #12  
sickle bar mower is about the cheapest mower you can get in with. disc mowers are more $$ and the fance combo machines mow-co..e tc. are way more.

sickle bar mower needs less hp too.. usually smaller..e tc.. etc..

I was reading the other day that sickle bar mowers generate less waste as well in comparison to a mow co.

Can you shed any light on that?

sickle bar mower is about the cheapest mower you can get in with. disc mowers are more $$ and the fance combo machines mow-co..e tc. are way more.

sickle bar mower needs less hp too.. usually smaller..e tc.. etc..

/ First time tractor buyer #14  
I was reading the other day that sickle bar mowers generate less waste as well in comparison to a mow co.

Can you shed any light on that?

When you consider a mower conditioner is mechanically crimping the grass stalks you will have more breakage and loss. If it will dry faster and allow you to bale it sooner that might save alot of hay that isn't rained on. The less you have to handle the hay the better it will be, a sickle bar cuts the stalks and lets them fall so less damage to seed pods. You have to have enough drying time between rains though.

When you consider a mower conditioner is mechanically crimping the grass stalks you will have more breakage and loss. If it will dry faster and allow you to bale it sooner that might save alot of hay that isn't rained on. The less you have to handle the hay the better it will be, a sickle bar cuts the stalks and lets them fall so less damage to seed pods. You have to have enough drying time between rains though.

Sickle bar = less damage to hay but may take longer to dry
mower conditioner = more damage to hay but may dry faster.

Does that sound about right?

/ First time tractor buyer #16  
yup! that's about the gist of it.

Awesome. I just wanted to make sure that I got what you were saying.

How much does a sickle bar mower run you? Aren't they older technology? Do they make new ones?

/ First time tractor buyer #18  
   / First time tractor buyer #20  
i'm sure ( guessing) there are others.. that's just one I am familair with that makes a modern unit. otherwise i'm looking at old ford stuff.. :)