Buying Advice First time tractor buyer

/ First time tractor buyer #31  
I'd say that would work great but trying to get parts might be a different story! Where are you from?

/ First time tractor buyer #32  
That is what I am not sure about. In my area there aren't any Zetor dealers, so I think it would be a lot of ordering online.

I checked out tractor data as well to see what the specs were. Seems like a decent tractor. I don't know much about the brand mind you, or their reliability etc

What part of Ottawa are you in? I'm in the west end, one street out of Kanata.

I believe my Kioti dealer is also a Zetor dealer. Obviously I know they do Kioti and I know they do LS, but for large tractors, I believe it's Zetor. Give them a shout, they're very good. It's Bromely Farm Supply in Douglas which is about an hour and 15 mins from Kanata. (613) 649-2457.

/ First time tractor buyer #33  
That is what I am not sure about. In my area there aren't any Zetor dealers, so I think it would be a lot of ordering online.

I checked out tractor data as well to see what the specs were. Seems like a decent tractor. I don't know much about the brand mind you, or their reliability etc

make sure you are good with a wrench then!

/ First time tractor buyer #34  
I would stay away from the Zetor tractors especially if no dealer is at hand. I see lots of them for sale cheap due to lack of parts for them. Those tractors are heavy but rumored to be of poor quality in machining and design. I believe that they are Eastern Block in origin (originally under Soviet Russia domination) and like all the Russian made motorized vehicles, they are poor quality. Russians made good AK rifles though.

We used to use a D17 Allis Chalmers to pull a New Holland square baler but that was when the D17's were new. You could likely find a used square baler in good shape for a couple thousand, but round balers in worn out condition are $6K plus. For 25 acres of hay, it is hard to justify the equipment to bale it.
I think Soundguy has the best idea for used and all the old Fords have good parts availability. Stay away from the little known units without a dealer available.

/ First time tractor buyer #35  
Replying to the initial post in this thread--Actually your $10K budget is not unrealistic for your 30 acre farm. Here's what I have for my 10 acre place (6 acres of hayfield) including real life prices paid.

-1964 MF135 diesel tractor ($3600 bought in 2006, 45 hp engine, 37 hp pto)
-MF 124 baler (two twine, small squares, $2000 in 2009, in great condition--bought it right out of the field from the seller who baled 30 acres the day before I picked it up).
-MF 31 sicklebar mower (7-ft cutting bar, $550 at auction 4 years ago, about $250 in replacement parts)
-JD 350 hay rake (10 ft wide, 5-bar side delivery type, 3pt hitch/pto driven type, $800)
-Cultipacker (10-ft wide, $600)
-Minneapolis Moline P3-6 grain drill (paid $275 for two of these, used parts to make one good drill, about $300 in new parts)
-Minneapolis Moline KS1300 wheel disc (aka transport disc, 13 ft wide---I cut it down to 8 ft wide so my smaller tractors in the 45-55 hp range could handle it, $600)
I've also made assorted drags to smooth out the clods in the hayfield after discing and before planting.

Hope this helps
Good luck

/ First time tractor buyer #36  
Replying to the initial post in this thread--Actually your $10K budget is not unrealistic for your 30 acre farm. Here's what I have for my 10 acre place (6 acres of hayfield) including real life prices paid.

-1964 MF135 diesel tractor ($3600 bought in 2006, 45 hp engine, 37 hp pto)
-MF 124 baler (two twine, small squares, $2000 in 2009, in great condition--bought it right out of the field from the seller who baled 30 acres the day before I picked it up).
-MF 31 sicklebar mower (7-ft cutting bar, $550 at auction 4 years ago, about $250 in replacement parts)
-JD 350 hay rake (10 ft wide, 5-bar side delivery type, 3pt hitch/pto driven type, $800)
-Cultipacker (10-ft wide, $600)
-Minneapolis Moline P3-6 grain drill (paid $275 for two of these, used parts to make one good drill, about $300 in new parts)
-Minneapolis Moline KS1300 wheel disc (aka transport disc, 13 ft wide---I cut it down to 8 ft wide so my smaller tractors in the 45-55 hp range could handle it, $600)
I've also made assorted drags to smooth out the clods in the hayfield after discing and before planting.

Hope this helps
Good luck

Well, the OP is from Ottawa, as am I, and I can't say I've seen any 45hp tractors for $3600. I'd say the prices for used tractors is quite a bit higher around here.

/ First time tractor buyer #37  
Well, the OP is from Ottawa, as am I, and I can't say I've seen any 45hp tractors for $3600. I'd say the prices for used tractors is quite a bit higher around here.

That's surprising considering Canada is where Massey Ferguson originated. I would have thought that you could find a lot of great buys on MF135/150/165 tractors up in the Great North. Oh well. Live and learn:eek:

/ First time tractor buyer #38  
That's surprising considering Canada is where Massey Ferguson originated. I would have thought that you could find a lot of great buys on MF135/150/165 tractors up in the Great North. Oh well. Live and learn:eek:

Most things are more expensive this side of the boarder, regardless of where they're made.

/ First time tractor buyer #39  
I have a Zetor 4341 (56 PTO HP) and it would do everything you mention with ease. If you end up with a Zetor, the easiest place to get parts I have found is www.ridgewaytractorparts.com. So far I've only needed filters for mine, and they shipped quickly. As far as poor quality, I don't see it. Mine seems very well made and an extremely solid tractor all around. I only have around 430 hrs on it, but have a couple neighbors with older zetor's with 3-4000 hrs. They have been pretty popular in my area over the years and I haven't heard of any recurring issues. Like any tractor, just make sure you check it out good to make sure it hasn't been abused, and has been well maintained. Good luck with your search!

/ First time tractor buyer
What part of Ottawa are you in? I'm in the west end, one street out of Kanata.

I believe my Kioti dealer is also a Zetor dealer. Obviously I know they do Kioti and I know they do LS, but for large tractors, I believe it's Zetor. Give them a shout, they're very good. It's Bromely Farm Supply in Douglas which is about an hour and 15 mins from Kanata. (613) 649-2457.

Thanks for the heads up. Nice to meet someone from the Ottawa area. I never thought that would happen, but happy about it.

I believe you guys are right. If finding parts is a problem for a particular brand, it's probably best to stay away. However, you have made some good suggestions of places where you can get parts. If the store is online, in the end it doesn't matter where you are.

Ford or John Deere might be a good choice just based on part availability.

I need to head off to work. I will check back later.