Buying Advice First time tractor buyer

/ First time tractor buyer #41  
Thanks for the heads up. Nice to meet someone from the Ottawa area. I never thought that would happen, but happy about it.

I believe you guys are right. If finding parts is a problem for a particular brand, it's probably best to stay away. However, you have made some good suggestions of places where you can get parts. If the store is online, in the end it doesn't matter where you are.

Ford or John Deere might be a good choice just based on part availability.

I need to head off to work. I will check back later.

There are a surprising number of TBNers from around ottawa. I've heard from guys in Carp, Kempville south Ottawa and east of Ottawa. What end of town are you in?

I think I'd have reservations about Zetor to, but it's likely just because of my ignorance of the brand. The first time I ever went shopping for a tractor, I called Bromely about Kioti but couldn't bring myself to anything other than JD or Kubota. Same reason, I didn't know any better, so I bought a JD. Less than a year later, I'd done a lot of learning and when I wanted out of the JD (it was 20 yrs old and abused and took way to much tinker time to keep running), not only was Kioti no longer a scarry off brand, they quickly became my prefered brand.

I know nothing about Zetor, but a quick trip over to tractordata.com gives this little summary, some of which is impressive.

"Zetor was founded in the town of Brno, in the Czech Republic. The town has had a metal works since at least the mid-1800s. During World War II, the factory was pressed into service to produce munitions for Germany, until it was destroyed by bombing in 1944. The factory staff had begun making plans for production after the war, and the model 25 tractor was the result. Zetor was an early developer in four-cylinder diesel engines, diesel injection, factory-built cabs, and mechanical front-wheel drive (MFWD). Because of this, and their low cost, Zetor tractors were exported through the world. Zetor also licensed production to factories in India and Iraq in the 1950s and 60s."

/ First time tractor buyer #42  
I also have a Kioti (but I'm on a small acreage).
The best advice I can give you, being a new tractor owner myself is, don't worry too much of the name brand.
Focus more on the dealers in your area, who is willing to go out of their way to help you?
Things like that.
In my area, the Kioti dealer was the friendliest and explained a lot to me about tractors - didn't just say "oh that brand is crap" or "don't buy from those guys" or, you only got 2.5 acres and then don't seem to want to waste their time on you cause they want the big sale.
Course, I bought new as I didn't want to have to worry about trying to maintain my tractor the first year by myself...

Look for a dealer that will come to your place...things like that.

/ First time tractor buyer #43  
There are a surprising number of TBNers from around ottawa. I've heard from guys in Carp, Kempville south Ottawa and east of Ottawa. What end of town are you in?

I think I'd have reservations about Zetor to, but it's likely just because of my ignorance of the brand. The first time I ever went shopping for a tractor, I called Bromely about Kioti but couldn't bring myself to anything other than JD or Kubota. Same reason, I didn't know any better, so I bought a JD. Less than a year later, I'd done a lot of learning and when I wanted out of the JD (it was 20 yrs old and abused and took way to much tinker time to keep running), not only was Kioti no longer a scarry off brand, they quickly became my prefered brand.

I know nothing about Zetor, but a quick trip over to tractordata.com gives this little summary, some of which is impressive.

"Zetor was founded in the town of Brno, in the Czech Republic. The town has had a metal works since at least the mid-1800s. During World War II, the factory was pressed into service to produce munitions for Germany, until it was destroyed by bombing in 1944. The factory staff had begun making plans for production after the war, and the model 25 tractor was the result. Zetor was an early developer in four-cylinder diesel engines, diesel injection, factory-built cabs, and mechanical front-wheel drive (MFWD). Because of this, and their low cost, Zetor tractors were exported through the world. Zetor also licensed production to factories in India and Iraq in the 1950s and 60s."

Yeah if I didn't know a few that own Zetor, I probably wouldn't own one now myself. Same goes for Kioti, Mahindra, LS, and others. If I wasn't a member of this forum, I wouldn't know what I do about those brands and wouldn't be able to consider them. From what I have learned on here, I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of those brands on the used market. Unfortunately, I don't have alot of good dealers in my area for any brand. If I was to buy a new tractor, it would have to be a JD because their dealer has been the best in the area in my experience. If buying new, I just think you have to go with the best dealer in your area due to possible warranty claims. When buying used (most likely out of warranty) I would just do as much research as possible and check the machine out to the best of my ability for abuse, lack of maintenance, etc., no matter the brand.

/ First time tractor buyer
It really comes down to the relationship with the dealer and parts availability.

Can you test drive tractors?

/ First time tractor buyer #45  
It really comes down to the relationship with the dealer and parts availability.

Can you test drive tractors?

Some dealers will drop one off for you to try for a few days but that's mostly for new tractors, and you're not going to find anything under $10K. Other dealers have a couple piles of dirt and a field to play in, I'm sure they'd let you try one of the used ones in there. Other than that, not many people like you digging up their fields just to try it out.

/ First time tractor buyer #46  
Interesting blog you have. I might add a 5th tip to buying a tractor, figuring out the right size to buy. Based on your job, we probably walk past each other at work, are you in the Place du Portage complex?

/ First time tractor buyer
Interesting blog you have. I might add a 5th tip to buying a tractor, figuring out the right size to buy. Based on your job, we probably walk past each other at work, are you in the Place du Portage complex?

Yes, I work a lot in Place du Portage and Place du la Chaudiere, so if you work there, it is very likely we have walked past each other.