A List of Basic No Frills Tractors

/ A List of Basic No Frills Tractors #31  
So Highsmith, what did you decide? We haven't heard from you in a while. You never really stated the reasons for your request. Most of us assume its $$$.

The short answer is, that all brands have something thats stripped down. If we knew a little more about what you need, in terms of size, weight, budget and intended use, the myriad of experts here would be able to be a lot more specific in their responses.

/ A List of Basic No Frills Tractors #32  
Get an aircraft carrier... the four screws are great for plowing!

mark

/ A List of Basic No Frills Tractors #33  
The Massey Ferguson 2600 series is comparable to the NH workmasters in price and features.

2605, 2615, 2635

I have a 2615 if you have any specific questions.

Be aware that if you come here and ask about different types of canoes there will be some people that recommend an aircraft carrier.

I have the MF2605 and one of the pluses was that is is a simpler tractor made in the style of the MF135/165 tractors and doesn't have a lot of fancy electronics.

/ A List of Basic No Frills Tractors #34  
Yes some of the not so well know brands will have some market share. They appeal to people that are wanting the most bang for the buck as far as the tractor goes. As far as resale,dealer, and parts availability you have to figure that is worth something which most of the less known brands don't have and may never have. When I went to the farm show a few weeks ago I looked at the Tym,Mahindra, and LS and in some cases the prices I saw was more than my Deere especially the Mahrindra with loader. Granted that was sticker price and Im sure they would maybe come down some but I was shocked. All your big farms use name brand equipment. There is a reason why they do that. Three reasons is parts,service and resale. A person that is a small acreage owner these things usually dont matter as much. When the less known brands have dealer support, are stable, have good quality product and resale that is when most people start to take them seriously. As far as LS I heard the cab not being offered was part of the issue but I hears quality was also an issue.

/ A List of Basic No Frills Tractors #35  
I liked that video that Massey has there. A bit self serving of course but I didn't catch them saying anything false about the John Deere. They made a lot of theirs being 700 lbs heavier then the JD which is true but once you get up to the right weight for a HP and tire size ,extra weight just reduces the load you can pull up a hill. They also think their combining valve that lets the flow from both pumps work together is an advantage. Maybe but if the main pump has enough ,having a combining valve just gives you more parts to break down. Simpler is often better. All in all it showed that they are all good tractors and it comes down to personal choices and the work that needs to be done.

/ A List of Basic No Frills Tractors #36  
Yes some of the not so well know brands will have some market share. They appeal to people that are wanting the most bang for the buck as far as the tractor goes. As far as resale,dealer, and parts availability you have to figure that is worth something which most of the less known brands don't have and may never have. When I went to the farm show a few weeks ago I looked at the Tym,Mahindra, and LS and in some cases the prices I saw was more than my Deere especially the Mahrindra with loader. Granted that was sticker price and Im sure they would maybe come down some but I was shocked. All your big farms use name brand equipment. There is a reason why they do that. Three reasons is parts,service and resale. A person that is a small acreage owner these things usually dont matter as much. When the less known brands have dealer support, are stable, have good quality product and resale that is when most people start to take them seriously. As far as LS I heard the cab not being offered was part of the issue but I hears quality was also an issue.

All well and good, but would you tell someone not to buy a New Holland Boomer because it's not made by NH?

Do you really think a markup of 40%, for the identical machine, is reasonable? Parts, service and resale have value, but 40% more value?

What nobody seems to want to address is the reality that we can't compare parts availability for older models, that were actually made by the company who's name was on the tractor, to what we're seeing now.

/ A List of Basic No Frills Tractors #37  
All well and good, but would you tell someone not to buy a New Holland Boomer because it's not made by NH?

Do you really think a markup of 40%, for the identical machine, is reasonable? Parts, service and resale have value, but 40% more value?

What nobody seems to want to address is the reality that we can't compare parts availability for older models, that were actually made by the company who's name was on the tractor, to what we're seeing now.

It seems that every post you make is touting the LS tractors in some way. I think it is great you are happy with your choice of the LS brand and hope it all works out well for you. I have seen so many responses that I decided to look into the LS R 4047H in your signature. Tried tractordata as I normally do and no results, then did a bing search and found the website to look over the specs. Looks like a nice tractor from what I read there just nothing outstanding either, good sized tires, low hydraulic flow rates, telescopic draft links a plus, good weight at 3800 lbs.

I find your comments about 40% markup puzzling for identical machines. How are you arriving at these percentages?

/ A List of Basic No Frills Tractors #38  
It seems that every post you make is touting the LS tractors in some way. I think it is great you are happy with your choice of the LS brand and hope it all works out well for you. I have seen so many responses that I decided to look into the LS R 4047H in your signature. Tried tractordata as I normally do and no results, then did a bing search and found the website to look over the specs. Looks like a nice tractor from what I read there just nothing outstanding either, good sized tires, low hydraulic flow rates, telescopic draft links a plus, good weight at 3800 lbs.

I find your comments about 40% markup puzzling for identical machines. How are you arriving at these percentages?

I certainly like my LS, but it's not perfect (what is?), and I've suggested looking at plenty of other brands in other threads. In fact, my first reply in this thread mentioned Kubota, Kioti (very nearly bought a DK), and Mahindra in a positive way. I posted a link to a used Kubota in the last day or so...etc, etc, etc. Just like any brand, each model has strengths, and weaknesses, but there aren't many "bad" tractors in the 40-50hp range these days.

I used the LS as a comparison in this thread, because it's among the best examples of price difference between the "name brand" and actual manufacturer available right now...i.e. the same machine, with different names on it, and different prices.

I priced a Boomer 40 and 50 from the closest NH dealer, and have seen other folks quote recent purchase prices for those two models. The price I got for a Boomer 50 with FEL, R4 tires, 2 rear remotes, work light, and 11-pin, was a bit over $30K. That's mirrors what other folks have quoted recently. MY identically equipped LS was $21,500 (not including forks). That's over $8,500 for the same machine (actually closer to $9K, but I'm rounding down), which works out to be a 40% price jump.

My point was that simply walking into a "name brand" dealer and buying a tractor doesn't necessarily mean you're getting what you pay for. I can't see paying 40% more for the mere potential of better service and support down the road. I guess if the grill insert and headlights look better to someone, and they're willing to pay $8,500 more, then the NH is a great deal! :shocked:

/ A List of Basic No Frills Tractors #39  
Im an old school Ford tractor fan. I have owned and opperated many along with my family. I think the Fiat deal benefited Case IH more than it ever did for New Holland. I am happy with my my TN70 but I don't think it's as good as the old Fords. Back in the eighties Ford had allot of compact tractors around. In the past several years New Holland has been loosing compact market share to mainly Deere and Kubota. I have never owned a LS machine and I am glad you are happy with yours. Part of the reason New Holland maybe dropping market share could be price but I have read not many people are happy since they switched to LS as there provider for numerous reasons. If a LS tractor is that much cheaper than the same New Holland than Im sure for those that know LS makes the New Holland may decide to switch to LS. Personally I would not recommend the new compacts from New Holland based on what I have read. I wish New Holland would bring back the old Boomers they use to have as others have mentioned. I think New Holland shoud do something with the front of there tractors. I think the grill on most of there small and large tractors are ugly.

/ A List of Basic No Frills Tractors #40  
I'm amused when people start comparing tractors based on the style of the grill. I could care less if the headlights are in a stylish "Family" design. Now if the lights are too low to be seen over a loader that's a valid criticism. A tractor doesn't need to be streamlined or look fast sitting still. It needs paint that won't scratch at the first brush of a poplar leaf, a skid plate to protect hoses or anything else vulnerable on the under side. It needs a hood that won't rust that protects the engine and wiring from the weather. Drain plugs and filters where you can get a wrench on them without being a Houdini. Then it needs lights that show the operator the work clearly and controls that come to hand naturally without stretching or twisting. I want a tractor that will look just as ugly twenty five years from now as it does today but is still running strong while all the pretty toy tractors have been melted down into beer cans and manhole covers.