A List of Basic No Frills Tractors

/ A List of Basic No Frills Tractors #51  
A tractor, at it's most basic, is a machine that pulls stuff. In fact, the earliest tractors were actually tractor engines; basically an engine on skids that drove a winch that either pulled a plow on a cable across a field, or pulled the entire engine another furrow over. That's about as universal, stripped down, and no frills as a tractor gets.

Now I suppose you mean a tractor on wheels. Basic and stripped down; as such, you don't want any added hydraulics, no cab, no lights, mechanical brakes, clutch transmission, no 3-point hitch assembly, and no PTO. Are we thinking of an old Model A Ford or Willy's Jeep with no body? If so, I'd recommend just buying a used Jeep Wrangler and put a tow hitch on it. I'm also assuming an agricultural or small acreage setting; and not an industrial one.

You see, the correct way to buy a tractor is to list the requirements you want one for. Then check all the manufacturers and models to see which meets those requirements. The one that meets those minimum requirements then becomes your "stripped down" base model. If you are thinking stripped down equals cheap, then you have two choices. Wait a long time before something that meets your physical requirements also meets your financial ones; or buy something that meets the financial constraints but doesn't meet the physical ones. But if you can't meet your physical needs, it doesn't matter how cheap the tractor is, you wasted your money, you made a bad deal, and you'll hate yourself for a long, long time.

/ A List of Basic No Frills Tractors
Thank you Dr. Zinj. That was incredible.

/ A List of Basic No Frills Tractors #54  
A Ford 7610 is far from basic, Dr. Zinj's insightful post above not withstanding.

/ A List of Basic No Frills Tractors #55  
A tractor, at it's most basic, is a machine that pulls stuff. In fact, the earliest tractors were actually tractor engines; basically an engine on skids that drove a winch that either pulled a plow on a cable across a field, or pulled the entire engine another furrow over. That's about as universal, stripped down, and no frills as a tractor gets.

Now I suppose you mean a tractor on wheels. Basic and stripped down; as such, you don't want any added hydraulics, no cab, no lights, mechanical brakes, clutch transmission, no 3-point hitch assembly, and no PTO. Are we thinking of an old Model A Ford or Willy's Jeep with no body? If so, I'd recommend just buying a used Jeep Wrangler and put a tow hitch on it. I'm also assuming an agricultural or small acreage setting; and not an industrial one.

You see, the correct way to buy a tractor is to list the requirements you want one for. Then check all the manufacturers and models to see which meets those requirements. The one that meets those minimum requirements then becomes your "stripped down" base model. If you are thinking stripped down equals cheap, then you have two choices. Wait a long time before something that meets your physical requirements also meets your financial ones; or buy something that meets the financial constraints but doesn't meet the physical ones. But if you can't meet your physical needs, it doesn't matter how cheap the tractor is, you wasted your money, you made a bad deal, and you'll hate yourself for a long, long time.

Why go into a long post that doesn't answer his initial question? All the major tractor brands have a more basic model (stripped down as some would call it). They are designed to have a reliable tractor without all the fancy electronics or options. It is a simple, reliable, affordable tractor. The OP asked what models are available like this. Case-IH has the Farmall A line. John Deere has the 6D series and others. Kubota has them as well. With Deere it is hard to know what is what without a ton of research ahead of time. The OP wanted to limit his research to a few models within each brand. There is so much cross over in horsepower in each brand that it is confusing at times. Now that the OP has a partial list of economy models of tractors he was able to start looking more into these particular tractors that fit his main criteria. Why tell him he "needs" a $50k fully loaded tractor when he only wants a simple tractor similar to what was made up to the early 90's. Ford and Massey both sold a ton of basic tractors that would be considered stripped down compared to todays tractors that people grew up with and enjoyed using. Most of those tractors are still running and will continue to run mostly trouble free for a long time. No electronics to change gears, engage pto, engage FWA, work the 3pt or hydraulics and so on so forth. Just start them up and go to work.

I personally like the basic tractors you can still buy new. I tired of buying used or even looking for used tractors as it was always a hassle. Now if I need a simple tractor to serve a particular purpose I can choose one from any brand I want. And if I need a cab tractor with a good shuttle transmission and 3 remotes with fwa and that is 60" wide with 80-100 horse power I can also buy one from just about any brand. Or if I want a utility tractor that has a nice transmission but is not all decked out I can find one of them as well. But I don't need others telling me that I need something else instead when I already have a basic idea of what I am looking for. Yeah, if someone recommends something and list a good reason why I will appreciate it but if someone comes on here and tells me I don't know how to buy a tractor because I used a term they didn't like then I would prefer they didn't even reply to the post. I know you put a lot of time in your reply and in doing so you more or less admitted you knew what the OP was actually asking about so why not just answer his question instead of trying to lecture him?

/ A List of Basic No Frills Tractors #56  
;)

Play nice!

/ A List of Basic No Frills Tractors #57  
A Ford 7610 is far from basic, Dr. Zinj's insightful post above not withstanding.

Compared to a T.6 New Holland a 7610 is pretty basic.

/ A List of Basic No Frills Tractors #58  
   / A List of Basic No Frills Tractors #59  
   / A List of Basic No Frills Tractors #60  
Maybe I missed it, I didn't read every response, but what are the intended uses, budget, acreage to be worked, etc?

When I first read this thread I was thinking new utility tractors, a few that I looked at recently:

Deere 5D and 5E, C-IH Farmall A series, NH Workmaster, MF 2600 series, and Kubota MX4700, MX5100, and M series with the SU designation. I wanted something without a lot of electronic crap, affordable and capable. I honestly liked everyone of them and probably would have been well served by any. Went with a good used Deere 5000 series for a good $$$ savings.

Now, I read a used larger field tractor, most that are reasonably priced will be about the same feature level, etc. In the 80's and 90's there wasn't a lot of differentiation within the models as far as basic vs deluxe goes. You could get most with a 4-post canopy or cab, some various transmission options, mfwd or 2wd, etc. A few models I have experience with are the 50/55 series Deere's, 86 Series Internationals and 8000 series Allis Chalmers. All were good solid tractors.

A little more info would probably give more concise responses...