Buying Advice Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now!

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now!
Can we stay on topic here fellas? :confused2: What would be better for digging? A 35 HP 2WD or 18HP 4X4? is there much difference in how much weight the FEL can lift? How about fuel? Are those little 18HP tractors super efficient?

I imagine myself doing a lot of landscaping over the years. I think mostly I will be moving dirt for the life of the tractor.

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #13  
Can we stay on topic here fellas? :confused2: What would be better for digging? A 35 HP 2WD or 18HP 4X4? is there much difference in how much weight the FEL can lift? How about fuel? Are those little 18HP tractors super efficient?

"On topic" in these threads is near impossible. You will get many answers, to everything whether you asked them or not.

You must have property on a hillside if you are considering a basement? Dragging shipping containers around is beyond the realm of your horsepower considerations. That's my opinion.

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #14  
No offense intended, but I don't think you want to 'drag' those containers anywhere if you plan on using them for living quarters. They do in fact need to be lifted with a crane, or something.

I'm not sure of the type container you are thinking about, but a 53' container is going to weigh a few pounds. And for you to buy a machine that can handle that, plus do the digging required.........I just dunno.

Actually, im not on a hillside, its fairly flat. Its technically not a basement but will be an underground garage with a car port. This way I can put grass on the top of it to have more usable area on the lot.

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #16  
Maybe I shouldn't have posted here. More posts popped up before I posted mine. I just can't see 'years of landscaping' on a half acre of ground.................I honestly can't.

Actually, all you need to move them around are some telephone poles. They work quite well unless your trying to go up/down hill or something. So I guess in this case it would be rolling them around. We have done it with jeeps before, its quite easy yet physically challenging at the same time. Super fun too! :cool2:

No offense intended, but I don't think you want to 'drag' those containers anywhere if you plan on using them for living quarters. They do in fact need to be lifted with a crane, or something.

I'm not sure of the type container you are thinking about, but a 53' container is going to weigh a few pounds. And for you to buy a machine that can handle that, plus do the digging required.........I just dunno.

By years I mean thats how long it will take me. I tend to drag my feet when it comes to aesthetics sometimes. :(

Maybe I shouldn't have posted here. More posts popped up before I posted mine. I just can't see 'years of landscaping' on a half acre of ground.................I honestly can't.

Maybe I should have mentioned I am building this house with cash and will take me about 5 years.

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #20  
Actually, all you need to move them around are some telephone poles. They work quite well unless your trying to go up/down hill or something. So I guess in this case it would be rolling them around. We have done it with jeeps before, its quite easy yet physically challenging at the same time. Super fun too! :cool2:
I understand it can be done, but you really need to think this thru. First is your underground garage. I'm not sure of you plan of attack here, but you gotta figure water infiltration, and exhaust fumes. Is the 'container house going to be on top of the garage? If not, just keep in mind that the grass will turn brown on top of the garage. If the house is on top, you need to be concerned about fumes from cars